Author Topic: People who park like fuds  (Read 286454 times)

fuzzy

Re: People who park like fuds
« Reply #1025 on: 24 September, 2018, 09:03:59 am »
Someone needs to remind the parents (and enforcement body) that the double yellow lines restriction extends all the way accross the pavement to the building line.

I do hope there was an enforcement type gadggie waiting nearby as a puschair pushing mum or wheelchair propelling pedestrian failed to negotiate the pavement and had to take to the road.

No, I am NOT holding my breath.

ian

« Reply #1026 on: 24 September, 2018, 03:02:34 pm »
In shock news, only three brief years after I asked Surrey Highways about double yellow lines on the corner by my house, someone has marked out their position with spray paint on the curb.

At some point, I assume, they'll be painted. It would probably make sense to repair the curb, but that's apparently low on their 'repair matrix.'

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1027 on: 24 September, 2018, 03:40:49 pm »
I think it takes a long time to get yellow lines approved, because democramonster. Though it shouldn't take three years. What can be done without procedures is painting white "keep clear" lines, because they don't have legal standing.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #1028 on: 24 September, 2018, 04:51:36 pm »
It's Surrey, despite being one of the most affluent parts of the UK with a high council tax, they still seem to be unable to do anything. We do have well compensated executive leadership team and nice offices in Kingston. If you ask anything of the council they're basically: well we could fix that big hole in your road, but eight old people will starve in one of our homes, so come on, which do you want? Dead Grandmas?

So anyway, you have to persuade the council, get the backing of the police, then it has to wait for the traffic regulation committee (which seems to meet precisely once a year), and then if they agree, it has to go out to consultation, and finally if there aren't objections, someone comes to paint the lines. So, yes, three years and we're close. It's not without irony that I'm sure it's actually illegal to park on a junction anyway. It's definitely stupid to do so a t-junction between two narrow lanes at the top of a 25% hill.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1029 on: 24 September, 2018, 05:36:34 pm »

Moving-in day for new students. Unfortunately they brought their imbecilic parents with them.
Go and spray "OXBRIDGE REJECT" down the sides of all the wankpanzers.

(Disclaimer: SO's niece is at Bristol.  After being rejected by Oxford, as per stereotype)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1030 on: 24 September, 2018, 09:06:50 pm »
Objection:  Oxbridge rejects go to Durham.  Brizzle was *built* by an Oxbridge reject.

(Disclaimer: They're both perfectly fine universities, built on the side of bastard hills.)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1031 on: 25 September, 2018, 09:55:10 pm »

« Reply #1032 on: 26 September, 2018, 08:56:38 am »
It's definitely stupid to do so a t-junction between two narrow lanes at the top of a 25% hill.
Less stupid than doing the same at the bottom of a 25% hill though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1033 on: 26 September, 2018, 12:07:11 pm »
Objection:  Oxbridge rejects go to Durham.  Brizzle was *built* by an Oxbridge reject.

In my day the canonical Oxbridge Reject repository was Exeter.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rr

« Reply #1034 on: 26 September, 2018, 12:31:47 pm »

In my day the canonical Oxbridge Reject repository was Exeter.
And imperial, well over 50% of my year had applied to Cambridge.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

ian

« Reply #1035 on: 26 September, 2018, 01:48:39 pm »
It's definitely stupid to do so a t-junction between two narrow lanes at the top of a 25% hill.
Less stupid than doing the same at the bottom of a 25% hill though.

Well, one car started at the top and ended up at the bottom (or near enough). Estate agent (quelle surprise), parked not just on the corner but on ice. We saw the car slowly slide past. He was lucky we'd gritted the road itself or his car might have ended up in someone's front room.

The bottom road is busier so while people park on the double yellows, they don't do so on the corner itself. That said, for the first time ever (to my knowledge), all the miscreants had been ticketed a few weeks back, which seems to have temporarily discouraged the practice.

Tbh, not many people park on the t-junction as it's obviously stupid, but it appeals to the 'just here for a minute' or 'there's nowhere else to park' brigade, there's only been one chap who thought it would make an ideal regular parking place until the police turned up to point out otherwise. If someone is parked there nothing big can get around the corner – which would include fire engines.

I've no idea when they're going to paint the lines though. There's a big pothole on one side so I'm interested to see if they paint around it or through it, or actually get someone to fill it – which may take another couple of years...

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1036 on: 26 September, 2018, 05:27:03 pm »
Conversation with an Addison Lee driver in Horley yesterday.

"I got some good pictures! Couple with sign in as well as your number plate/"

"What sign?"

"That great big one that says 'no vehicles, behind your car"
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #1037 on: 26 September, 2018, 10:38:58 pm »
i'm always intrigued by the fact that in Blackheath (south London) where I live, there is one car that appears to be permanently parked on the double yellow, on a corner, outside a specific shop yet, despite the fact that the local wardens seem to find you every time you park with one pair of wheels slightly the wrong side of the dotted line marking the border between residents' and businesses' parking places, never seems to be ticketed. 

I presume the owner has a special financial arrangement in place with the wardens.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1038 on: 30 September, 2018, 08:23:34 pm »
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/badly-parked-cars-blocked-firefighters-2058731

Fire engine can't reach fire due to parked cars. Worth noting that the cars were not actually parked in an illegal place. Ironically, the fire started in a car.

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #1039 on: 30 September, 2018, 08:44:02 pm »

'nuffink wrong wiv' my parking'

says white  van man !

Compare and contrast co-operative and communistic parking

fuzzy

« Reply #1040 on: 01 October, 2018, 04:04:30 pm »
I hope he paid for 4 parking tickets......

« Reply #1041 on: 01 October, 2018, 07:44:00 pm »

'nuffink wrong wiv' my parking'

says white  van man !

given that it would occupy 4 spaces wherever it stopped, unless there were dedicated van spaces it is actually considerately parked, avoiding blocking adjacent spaces and through ways. If you've ever had to pilot a van like that in a standard parking area, you would realise that quite quickly.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1042 on: 08 October, 2018, 10:34:23 pm »
Fuds as far as the eye can see.

IMG_1945_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1043 on: 24 October, 2018, 09:40:54 am »
Poor, thoughtless and illegal parking isn't a new issue in Bristol, but it is something that appears to blight certain areas of the city more than others.

So much so that a Facebook group has been setup by residents of Bishopston and St Andrews to capture, and probably shame, motorists leaving their vehicles in restricting and often dangerous situations.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/facebook-group-captures-worst-parking-2138507

Though it won't shame them if, like the Post, you blank out their number plates.

ian

« Reply #1044 on: 24 October, 2018, 10:36:11 am »
Why do they blur/blank the number plates anyway?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1045 on: 24 October, 2018, 11:00:26 am »
Over-enthusiastic legal depts.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #1046 on: 24 October, 2018, 08:11:30 pm »
Cycling home along my road today what I saw coming in the other direction was a double buggy.
'cos with cars parked nose to tail along both pavements the pavement was too narrow even if there's been a gap big enow to get onto the pavement.
ho hum.
I'm sure some of the cars are used so little it would be better for the owner to merely hire a car on the odd occasion (like what I do)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

meddyg

« Reply #1047 on: 01 November, 2018, 05:51:36 pm »

fairly snug parking for a Saturday afternoon in Cambridge...

meddyg

« Reply #1048 on: 01 November, 2018, 05:52:54 pm »
but when you take in to consideration the backseat driver !

« Reply #1049 on: 10 November, 2018, 10:58:17 am »