Author Topic: PBP2015 - Notes to Self for 2019  (Read 32998 times)

Re: PBP2015 - Notes to Self for 2019
« Reply #150 on: 10 August, 2018, 04:55:04 pm »
Likewise for me; leave Worcester Thursday morning, ride to Portsmouth, overnight ferry to Caen, ride to SQY for Friday night. Have a couple of days to rest after PBP then ride back home in a couple of days.

Log the rides as DIYs and a successful PBP earns you 20 points  ;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #151 on: 10 August, 2018, 06:36:53 pm »
And points mean...

...faffing with entry forms and routes.  I prefer to just follow my nose and find somewhere along the way to stop for the night.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #152 on: 10 August, 2018, 06:43:27 pm »
Oh!, and make sure your cranks are firmly fixed to your bike BEFORE starting.

Phil W

« Reply #153 on: 10 August, 2018, 06:51:51 pm »
Don't have the gear cable snap inside your DC lever as you cross the bridge after leaving velodrome. Leaving you spinning in the granny ring as the pelotons stream away.  For 19 I have bar end shifters which are fixable on the road and simpler to start with.

Ben T

« Reply #154 on: 10 August, 2018, 08:15:42 pm »
Don't have the gear cable snap inside your DC lever as you cross the bridge after leaving velodrome. Leaving you spinning in the granny ring as the pelotons stream away.  For 19 I have bar end shifters which are fixable on the road and simpler to start with.

or at all!

« Reply #155 on: 10 August, 2018, 10:27:25 pm »
And points mean...

...faffing with entry forms and routes.  I prefer to just follow my nose and find somewhere along the way to stop for the night.

Yeah, yeah. But AUK has numerous awards so occasionally points are an important factor for some people.

Oh!, and make sure your cranks are firmly fixed to your bike BEFORE starting.

Too fucking right! It never ceases to amaze me that:

a. the crank worked loose 3km from the start and
b. my Guardian Angel would appear as if by MAGIC (I named my next three children after him as a mark of my utmost gratitude)

;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #156 on: 11 August, 2018, 12:15:53 pm »
Too fucking right! It never ceases to amaze me that:

a. the crank worked loose 3km from the start and
b. my Guardian Angel would appear as if by MAGIC (I named my next three children after him as a mark of my utmost gratitude)

;D

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #157 on: 12 August, 2018, 08:54:51 pm »

I already went that way for 2015. In 1995 I had Suntour Command shifters, no issues. In 2015 Bar ends, no issues. Between 1999 and 2011 Ergopowers. At least on 2 occasions they needed a service lasting about 15 minutes. In '97 LEL even a major breakdown costing several hours.
I stick to Bar ends now. I might change thouch if SunXCD or someone else starts to produce 10 or 11 speed Command shifters though.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #158 on: 13 August, 2018, 07:39:54 am »
Don't have the gear cable snap inside your DC lever as you cross the bridge after leaving velodrome. Leaving you spinning in the granny ring as the pelotons stream away.  For 19 I have Etap

FTFY  :thumbsup:

Phil W

PBP2015 - Notes to Self for 2019
« Reply #159 on: 15 August, 2018, 10:45:35 pm »
Ensure to arrange for somewhere to keep extra bags and clothes for post PBP as your kit will stink.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #160 on: 21 August, 2018, 09:16:38 pm »
That "odeur du cycliste" will hopefully get me some space to stretch out on the train back home  :D

« Reply #161 on: 25 August, 2018, 10:49:20 am »
Remember it is fucking ace and have a brilliant time.

Be sociable.
Marcus, I was always cheered up by you being sociable and saying hello when you passed me. Thanks

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #162 on: 08 September, 2018, 11:07:00 pm »

I already went that way for 2015. In 1995 I had Suntour Command shifters, no issues. In 2015 Bar ends, no issues. Between 1999 and 2011 Ergopowers. At least on 2 occasions they needed a service lasting about 15 minutes. In '97 LEL even a major breakdown costing several hours.
I stick to Bar ends now. I might change thouch if SunXCD or someone else starts to produce 10 or 11 speed Command shifters though.

:thumbsup:

I had to get my rear gear cable replaced at controls on PBP 2015 AND on LEL 2017  :facepalm: , using Shimano STi 10speed (PBP) and 11speed (LEL). On both occassions, cables lasted about 7000km. New bike does have 11spd bar-end shifters, and the remaining 11spd STi will be swapped to it pronto (all the parts already stocked)
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #163 on: 09 September, 2018, 05:55:37 am »

:thumbsup:

I had to get my rear gear cable replaced at controls on PBP 2015 AND on LEL 2017  :facepalm: , using Shimano STi 10speed (PBP) and 11speed (LEL). On both occassions, cables lasted about 7000km. New bike does have 11spd bar-end shifters, and the remaining 11spd STi will be swapped to it pronto (all the parts already stocked)

Indeed, at least 3 replacements during various events, 1997 LEL, gearlever snapped, detour to a bikshop (costing a lot more as 30 minutes) and more recently 2007 PBP gearcable replacement & replacement by downtubshifter since the whole lot was so mucky that shifting was too hard for my shoulder. 2011 Gearcable replacement at Villaines la Juhel. A gearcable replacement with downtube shifters takes 5 minutes at the max, a lot less as with Ergopower/STI.

« Reply #164 on: 27 September, 2018, 08:27:34 pm »
Some thoughts from the distant past if anyone is considering riding fixed.

The first Audax I completed on fixed was the PBP in 1983, I rode a gear of 64.8” or 48 – 20. It was an incredibly fast spinning gear to ride, there is a time on many hills when people with gears stop peddling on the descents, it was at this point I would often pass a group of riders. I found 64.8 an easy gear to ride on both climbs and descents. I always rode with two brakes, and used them both to slow the momentum of a fixed.

I quit smoking in July 1981 and started to ride a bike, it had a 72” fixed. I changed over to gears and managed a 600k the following year before breaking my collar bone. In the second year I did the end to end in May and that put me off distance riding, so I put a 64.8 fixed on my bike.

When my friends said they were doing the PBP three months later it did not appeal at all. That is until Jane Ramsdale said in jest; why don’t you do it on a fixed. I entered two shorter practice events but packed on both, so the PBP became my first completed event.

The thought of riding a fixed is possibly harder than actually doing the ride on a fixed, I think a lot more people have the ability to do the ride but never attempt it. I found that it helps to sort the mind out first. When I took on a ride that I thought might be beyond my capability; I would make plans to ride to the event and back, we rode about 200k to the start of the PBP and back, although on the way back a kind Frenchman gave us a lift for about fifty miles. I don't know how it helps, but planning to do an extra 400k somehow made the 1200k seem easier.

rob

« Reply #165 on: 27 September, 2018, 09:27:25 pm »
Some thoughts from the distant past if anyone is considering riding fixed.

The first Audax I completed on fixed was the PBP in 1983, I rode a gear of 64.8” or 48 – 20. It was an incredibly fast spinning gear to ride, there is a time on many hills when people with gears stop peddling on the descents, it was at this point I would often pass a group of riders. I found 64.8 an easy gear to ride on both climbs and descents. I always rode with two brakes, and used them both to slow the momentum of a fixed.

I quit smoking in July 1981 and started to ride a bike, it had a 72” fixed. I changed over to gears and managed a 600k the following year before breaking my collar bone. In the second year I did the end to end in May and that put me off distance riding, so I put a 64.8 fixed on my bike.

When my friends said they were doing the PBP three months later it did not appeal at all. That is until Jane Ramsdale said in jest; why don’t you do it on a fixed. I entered two shorter practice events but packed on both, so the PBP became my first completed event.

The thought of riding a fixed is possibly harder than actually doing the ride on a fixed, I think a lot more people have the ability to do the ride but never attempt it. I found that it helps to sort the mind out first. When I took on a ride that I thought might be beyond my capability; I would make plane to ride to the event and back, we rode about 200k to the start of the PBP and back, although on the way back a kind Frenchman gave us a lift for about fifty miles. I don't know how it helps, but planning to do an extra 400k somehow made the 1200k seem easier.

I’m pretty sure your article is one of the copies of Arrivee Recycled that I scoured before my first attempt.   I remember thinking who on earth would attempt such a ride on fixed.

« Reply #166 on: 28 September, 2018, 12:29:14 am »
67" bad, too much pedaling on the frequent long 3-4% downhills for me after the first few days, and I like to spin (even though I'm rubbish at it). Should have gone for 71" at least, possibly even 74".

I remember thinking who on earth would attempt such a ride on fixed.

I, personally, blame j[w]o.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #167 on: 28 September, 2018, 05:23:21 am »
Don't catch a rotten cold a week before the ride that prevents you from sleeping and muddles your brain. Also stay somewhere near or after a control so you can check in before sleeping instead of rushing out to make the closing time. :facepalm: 

« Reply #168 on: 28 September, 2018, 09:59:40 am »
67" bad, too much pedaling on the frequent long 3-4% downhills for me after the first few days, and I like to spin (even though I'm rubbish at it). Should have gone for 71" at least, possibly even 74".

I remember thinking who on earth would attempt such a ride on fixed.

I, personally, blame j[w]o.

67" suited me, but I think I was probably the lowest geared of the fixed contingent.  Jo, as I recall, mashed big gears cos he claimed he couldn't spin.

rob

« Reply #169 on: 28 September, 2018, 10:34:07 am »
Used 70" in 2011 and 79" in 2015.   I suspect I'll use the larger gear again - bike and rider are lighter this time round.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #170 on: 28 September, 2018, 06:39:38 pm »
I'll be my usual 72-inches — both in stature and in gearing. 

I tried to move to a larger gear a couple of months ago, to make it a bit more interesting, and discovered that it's incompatible with my frame, which cost me a rear tyre (due to brake rub), and it was a new one, too (expensive mistake).  I can go down to 64 inches, but where's the fun in that?  The alternative is to replace the 44T with a more traditional 47T, which might work the front-back positioning of the rear wheel to more convenient positions in relation to the pad-adjustment on the rear brake.

72-inches is a nice compromise for me, because a) I'm heavier than Rob by about 15 kilos, and b) my bike is heavier than Rob's by about 5 kilos.  I'm also not quite as fit — not even in the same league, he's a bit of a monster.  I think I should be able to climb just about anything on the PBP route on 72 — especially now the forest-climb near the end has been scratched.

It will still be a bit easier than the last bike I rode PBP on :facepalm:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #171 on: 28 September, 2018, 06:46:21 pm »
Remember it is fucking ace and have a brilliant time.

Be sociable.
Marcus, I was always cheered up by you being sociable and saying hello when you passed me. Thanks

Marcus picked me up towards the end and got me to the finish in 2015.  Marcus is a Legend, I am indebted  :thumbsup:

ps. I now have a proper bike  :P
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Chris S

« Reply #172 on: 28 September, 2018, 07:24:07 pm »
ps. I now have a proper bike  :P

No you don't - it's only got one gear!

rob

« Reply #173 on: 29 September, 2018, 08:03:08 pm »
I'll be my usual 72-inches — both in stature and in gearing. 

I tried to move to a larger gear a couple of months ago, to make it a bit more interesting, and discovered that it's incompatible with my frame, which cost me a rear tyre (due to brake rub), and it was a new one, too (expensive mistake).  I can go down to 64 inches, but where's the fun in that?  The alternative is to replace the 44T with a more traditional 47T, which might work the front-back positioning of the rear wheel to more convenient positions in relation to the pad-adjustment on the rear brake.

72-inches is a nice compromise for me, because a) I'm heavier than Rob by about 15 kilos, and b) my bike is heavier than Rob's by about 5 kilos.  I'm also not quite as fit — not even in the same league, he's a bit of a monster.  I think I should be able to climb just about anything on the PBP route on 72 — especially now the forest-climb near the end has been scratched.

It will still be a bit easier than the last bike I rode PBP on :facepalm:

You say the nicest things.

A tip from TTing is to gear for the fast bits and not the slow bits.   When I rode on 70” I span out too often and ended up with very sore hands and arse.   The same thing happened on the ACME Grand this year, but the climbs were harder on that one.

« Reply #174 on: 30 September, 2018, 05:36:30 pm »

I’m pretty sure your article is one of the copies of Arrivee Recycled that I scoured before my first attempt.   I remember thinking who on earth would attempt such a ride on fixed.

Hi Rob, yes that was me and I had the same kind of thoughts as you did. I can remember struggling round my first 300k and seeing a fresh looking guy complete it on a fixed, I thought who would do such a thing.

A tip from TTing is to gear for the fast bits and not the slow bits.   When I rode on 70” I span out too often and ended up with very sore hands and arse.

I guess we are all different, when I rode gears I was often hanging off the back, and rarely went up front. The 64.8 fixed on the PBP was so different, I couldn't understand how I went past so many groups on the descents as well as the climbs and that included the mast.

I had pins and needles in all my fingers for about three years afterwards,  I put this down to a rubbish head set. The doctors couldn't help me, but one day I fell over and hurt my back, I could barely walk. An osteopath sorted my back out and the pins and needle sensation in my fingers disappeared too.