Author Topic: I got an Etrex 30 for Christmas.....  (Read 4041 times)

I got an Etrex 30 for Christmas.....
« on: 26 December, 2013, 10:08:14 am »
But by'eck it's complicated.  Now, I would say I am pretty good with technology, but I am really struggling to work out the basic navigation with this thing.  I have worked through the basic set up stuff provided by http://www.aukadia.net/gps/lw3_0.htm

I have a GPX route which starts from home (created in bikehike) uploaded onto the Etrex which I can see in Where To? -> routes 

I was hoping there would just be a nice pink line + arrow to follow on the base mapping.  This doesn't seem to be the case.  I know I am being a grade A numpty. 

Does anyone have a link to a GOOD basic video of using an imported GPX file on an Etrex and how to follow it?  I know this is really basic stuff so apologies, but I seem to be going round in circles (literally!) and it's getting to be rather frustrating. 
Does not play well with others

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: I got an Etrex 30 for Christmas.....
« Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2013, 10:11:37 am »
Have you loaded any maps on to your device?  I don't think you can rely on the base mapping.

« Reply #2 on: 26 December, 2013, 10:33:15 am »
No I haven't

I was hoping I could just follow an arrow? 

I did look at the opensource maps but just got confused as to what to download onto the SD card so thought I would try and get used to the unit first. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 26 December, 2013, 10:38:03 am »
I've got the older version of the Etrex and this is what I do:-

Go to http://www.openfietsmap.nl

Find the "Worldwide" bit.

Drag&drop the area for which you want a map.

Download it to your computer according to the instructions

Put it on your SD card and start cycling!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 26 December, 2013, 10:42:37 am »
I have a GPX route which starts from home (created in bikehike) uploaded onto the Etrex which I can see in Where To? -> routes 

I would recommend going back to BikeHike and after clicking on 'Download Route' take the option for 'GPX Track'.
You'll then see this in your GPS under Where To? -> Tracks.

This will give you a line to follow which will indeed be pink, and will work independent of any map or lack of map you may have.

It's not a perfect solution long-term, but it will get you started.

If you download a map .img file it just goes onto the card inside a folder called \Garmin\
You may then have to enable it in the setup map menu, or it may well just show itself anyway.

PS put a lanyard (an old digicam wrist strap will do) on your GPS.
For a bikemount get the one that is usually sold as an 'Oregon' mount.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 26 December, 2013, 10:47:03 am »
I use my Garmin to follow tracks, and hardly ever let it do any navigating for me. I prefer to do that myself.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #6 on: 26 December, 2013, 11:33:09 am »

I would recommend going back to BikeHike and after clicking on 'Download Route' take the option for 'GPX Track'.
You'll then see this in your GPS under Where To? -> Tracks.

This will give you a line to follow which will indeed be pink, and will work independent of any map or lack of map you may have.

It's not a perfect solution long-term, but it will get you started.

If you download a map .img file it just goes onto the card inside a folder called \Garmin\
You may then have to enable it in the setup map menu, or it may well just show itself anyway.

PS put a lanyard (an old digicam wrist strap will do) on your GPS.
For a bikemount get the one that is usually sold as an 'Oregon' mount.

Ah brilliant - I have now a nice pink track  :thumbsup:

I am also downloading the http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm with contours (so I can use them off road too) to a micro SD

Good point about the lanyard, I can sort that.  I ordered a super cheap mount from ebay - hope it fits :o  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-Bike-Holder-Mount-Kit-for-Dakota-Etrex-10-20-30-Oregon-GPSMap-/330850452081?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item4d08394271

So, another question.  If I follow a track, will it also record the track that I actually take (like distance and speed to upload to Garmin connect?)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 26 December, 2013, 11:50:38 am »
So, another question.  If I follow a track, will it also record the track that I actually take (like distance and speed to upload to Garmin connect?)

If you've followed the setup instructions on aukadia then yes, it is set to record

You might not be aware of this but Frankly Frankie on here wrote the aukadia instructions

I have a Etrex 20 which is a very similar GPS and my tip is to feed an extra "safety chain" throught the lanyard hole so if it falls off the mount it doesn't bounce down the road

« Reply #8 on: 26 December, 2013, 12:10:50 pm »

If you've followed the setup instructions on aukadia then yes, it is set to record

You might not be aware of this but Frankly Frankie on here wrote the aukadia instructions

I have a Etrex 20 which is a very similar GPS and my tip is to feed an extra "safety chain" throught the lanyard hole so if it falls off the mount it doesn't bounce down the road

Thanks  :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 26 December, 2013, 03:46:46 pm »
Ok, so I have the talkytoaster map up and running - couldn't get it to load from the SD card (??) so I put it directly on the Garmin via the USB and it's working. 

However, my pink lines are more than a little 'off' the roads.  Two questions...1) did I reduce the trackpoints down too much in bike hike (from 1700 to 250) or should I get it to tie in to the nearest road? 

Any advice, as always, much appreciated!

« Reply #10 on: 26 December, 2013, 04:35:27 pm »
FWIW, I've found it quicker to lob the sdcard into a decent usb adaptor and copy the maps there, rather than via the slower garmin usb i/f (to either internal memory or the sdcard card).
If you're having trouble copying maps onto the device of sdcard, don't forget to do an eject/safely-remove-hardware on the host machine to make sure it's written the whole of the file - by default it may not do, and has certainly given me some trouble in the past.

Re talkietoaster maps - here's some weirdness (or at least, there was) with trying to use the separate contour overlay  with the contourless maps - IIRC I found I had to copy across the both the contoured, and contourless versions of the same map to have the same effect as turning on/off contours.

Another OSM option is:
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

(It may have elapsed - and it hasn't worked every day either ! - but before Christmas the 'garmin30' code gave a 30% discount in the garmin online shop. I've used OSM so far and will continue to, but the discount brought the Euro City Navigator down far enough for me to wobble and buy it.)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #11 on: 27 December, 2013, 11:34:08 am »
However, my pink lines are more than a little 'off' the roads.  Two questions...1) did I reduce the trackpoints down too much in bike hike (from 1700 to 250) or should I get it to tie in to the nearest road? 

Well I'm tempted to say - does it matter? - but that aside -

All the online planners tend to generate more trackpoints than are really necessary, so the option to downsample is very useful.  However all Garmins can handle 500 points in a Track so it's never necessary to go below that.  I don't have an E30 but I'm fairly sure that model will handle a Track of 1700 points (or even considerably more) without problems.  The 500 limit is gradually becoming a thing of the past, that most new adopters don't need to worry about.

The other thing is, you planned your track using Google Maps, and now you're following it on an OSM map.  By definition, these are not the same (because OSM's mappers are prohibited from copying other maps such as Gmaps).  So two different data sets, and several different surveys.  So in any given spot on the planet, one will be more right than the other.  Which is the more right, could be either, will vary from place to place.  So if you look very closely, a Track planned using Gmaps is unlikely to follow exactly, an OSM map.  Though at most practical zoom levels it's probably not noticeable.

To get a line that follows exactly, you have to go back to using a Route file (as opposed to Track) which must have 50 points or fewer, and set the GPS to route 'on road for distance'. (Actually I suggest setting the GPS routing to 'prompted' - and then you get offered that choice when you load the route.)  Assuming the map has embedded routing information, the pink line will now follow the roads.  However there is a near-certain chance that sooner or later it won't follow the 'right' roads.  That is partly down to the same problem as above - planning on one map but using another.  It may also be partly fixable in the GPS routing settings. The routing information in an OSM map is certainly not as reliable as that embedded in a Gmap or in Garmin's own maps.  Some people get on with it OK, but it's just the luck of the draw really, whether or not your favourite areas have been well mapped.

There is an option to 'lock on road' in the menus, but I think that refers to the way the Garmin displays its own position on the map.  It won't affect any GPX you are displaying.  It just takes your actual found location (which might seem to be in a nearby field) and snaps it to the nearest road.  It's not a setting I've ever used so I don't know if it also modifies the recorded tracklog to follow the roads, but I suspect it may do.  Unless you're trying to do a survey (for example, adding a missing road to OSM) then there's no real harm in it either way.

« Reply #12 on: 28 December, 2013, 09:00:33 am »
Don't use BikeHike to create your GPX for a Garmin.
Use Tyre ToTravel.

It works just like GoogleMaps and each point you nominate on the route by dragging or simply clicking IS a Waypoint on the GPX.

Don't trust BikeHike to place the Waypoints. Place them where YOU want them.

A 50 km section should only require 35 - 40 points. Place them along roads, NOT at junctions. If the Garmin can't find its way to a point along a stretch of road with no side roads near, take it back for a refund.

Bit late now but for navigating, a 'Satnav' device with its own mapping, freely updated at regular intervals, that gives you the option of building a route ON THE DEVICE without the need for a computer is the more sensible option. A device that has a 'Netherlands' appreciation of cycling rather than a 'Good 'ole U.S of A' appreciation of cycling.

« Reply #13 on: 28 December, 2013, 11:09:04 pm »
Ah thanks for that.  Will look into it :)

« Reply #14 on: 28 December, 2013, 11:10:02 pm »
Frankily frankie that's all most useful too. Much appreciated.  :)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #15 on: 11 December, 2014, 09:00:45 am »
I'm trying to assist a friend with their etrex 30. I uploaded a route onto Bikehike and attempted to save to GPS, I got a banner come up saying that route and waypoints couldnt be copied across. I had updated my Garmin Communicator. It would copy a track however.

Any suggestions? I tried to copy and paste into the GPX folder but the route looks very corrupted on the map.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #16 on: 11 December, 2014, 09:10:27 am »
There is an option to 'lock on road' in the menus, but I think that refers to the way the Garmin displays its own position on the map.  It won't affect any GPX you are displaying.  It just takes your actual found location (which might seem to be in a nearby field) and snaps it to the nearest road.  It's not a setting I've ever used so I don't know if it also modifies the recorded tracklog to follow the roads, but I suspect it may do. 

Snap to road does not modify the recorded tracklog on any of the Garmin devices I've used.
It is just a 'visual' thing, only affecting the display of the current track on the screen.

I usually have it turned 'on', and when I view my recorded tracklogs in mapsource, they are most certainly not 'locked' to the roads; they wander about a bit as you'd expect.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #17 on: 11 December, 2014, 09:32:10 am »
A lot of track points on the route may be 'handleable' by the unit but I'd recommend slimming it to a minimum personally.  Some of the tracks provided by AUK organisers can be multi-megabite in file size as a result.  This is all OK and all but you can end up with files that take 20 minutes to load up when you press start and hang half way through the ride, resulting in a reset and _another_ 20 minutes waiting for it to load up once more.   Not ideal if you're alone and lost in the wilds.

That being said - (a) that is *not* a criticism of AUK organisers, providing a gps track at all is beyond the call of duty.  (b) I have and Edge800 and that may very well be a very different beast to the Etrex.

My MO is to use the gps track provided if there is one and alter it to my personal tastes on my GPS track creating website of choice.

Be aware that if the website you use is using google maps this may not be the same as the maps you have on your software.  I've been led up to cowsheds in fields by using googlemap based software before.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #18 on: 11 December, 2014, 11:38:44 am »
I find that routes work best when processed through Basecamp, so my advice would be to download Garmin Basecamp. Plug the Etrex into the computer which will enable it to load the map that's on the etrex and then import the file.  See what it loads as, if it's a TCX, it will show as a track and then you can use the convert to a route function, if you intend to navigate 'by road' then you'll need to limit waypoints to 50 (you'll get a prompt for this).  If you're doing a circular route, use the divide function on the TCX file and create there and back versions as the etrex gets confused by circular in routing mode.  If you load the file and it's already a GPX or route, I'd be tempted to convert to a TCX and then follow the steps above.  Once you've done all that then click the send files to the device button.

Hope that's of some help but I suspect that people who actually know what they're doing can give you better advice ... the above is what works for me although I'm increasingly using tracks for navigation, a lot simpler and less battery drain but still tend to put everything through basecamp before it goes on the unit.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #19 on: 11 December, 2014, 03:42:30 pm »
I'm trying to assist a friend with their etrex 30. I uploaded a route onto Bikehike and attempted to save to GPS, I got a banner come up saying that route and waypoints couldnt be copied across. I had updated my Garmin Communicator. It would copy a track however.

Any suggestions? I tried to copy and paste into the GPX folder but the route looks very corrupted on the map.

Routes are broken in BikeHike.  Always have been.  It's a very good Track-making tool.

If you want to make a ('follow roads') Route you have to use a different tool.
If you want to make a ('direct' or 'off-road') Route (but these seem to be deeply unfashionable these days) then BikeHike can do it, if you uncheck the tickbox for 'follow road'.

The best way to get it on the E30 is to save it to desktop as a GPX, connect the Garmin and copy the GPX file into the device's \Garmin\GPX\ folder.  Or better still, into the equivalent folder on the mSD card.  Always make sure you 'eject' or 'unmount' the GPS before disconnecting it.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #20 on: 11 December, 2014, 04:12:32 pm »
Thanks FF I'll have another go. I find basecamp horrible to use.

« Reply #21 on: 11 December, 2014, 04:38:15 pm »
Agree with you about Basecamp being horrible to use.

I keep things as simple as possible by just using tracks, not routes. I make the tracks in RidewithGPS.com, and stick them in the correct folder on the Etrex (hint: the folder where the other tracks are that work!). Then select the desired track, colour it in whatever shade stands out best on your map.  The secret of success, which I only forget half the time, is to ensure that Show on Map is selected - and make sure that any earlier tracks which you no longer want to follow have Hide on Map selected.  Don't ask me how I know this.

Bryn

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #22 on: 11 December, 2014, 11:51:49 pm »
Then select the desired track, colour it in whatever shade stands out best on your map.  The secret of success, which I only forget half the time, is to ensure that Show on Map is selected - and make sure that any earlier tracks which you no longer want to follow have Hide on Map selected.  Don't ask me how I know this.

If following tracks, the best method is to use 'where to' function, select tracks and then the track you want to follow ... You get a much heavier magenta line to follow and you don't have to select the show vs hide on map functions

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #23 on: 12 December, 2014, 03:03:21 pm »
Agree with the above, but also -

The secret of success, which I only forget half the time, is to ensure that Show on Map is selected - and make sure that any earlier tracks which you no longer want to follow have Hide on Map selected.

On the E30 (and I think most modern Garmins) 'Hide on Map' seems to be the default state.  To the extent that if you disturb the setup in any way (for example by adding a new Track) any existing Tracks that are set to 'Show' will automatically revert to 'Hidden'.

Also of course the toggle that operates the Show/Hide option is a really really bad piece of UI design - if the Track is already set to 'Show' then there is nothing at all in the setup to indicate this - other than a big button marked 'Hide'.  To trap the unwary there is another button in Track setup marked 'Map' which is absolutely not what you want.  (It took me a week of intensive correspondence with another member of this forum to wean him off from trying to navigate a Track by using the 'Map' button.)