Author Topic: [LEL17] What colour tyre levers for LEL?  (Read 7164 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
[LEL17] What colour tyre levers for LEL?
« on: 13 January, 2017, 11:34:41 am »
A recent conversation with IanN otp brought this burning topic to my consideration. He favours white ones as being easier for the tired audaxer to spot on the black tarmac after a night time puncture. I countered that white ones show the dirt so badly after a single use, whereas black remain unscuffed, merely acquiring a suitable patina of 'beausage' discreetly displaying one's lifetime of roadside fettling. My current favourite tyre levers are the blue Park Tools but I also have some good ones from, perhaps surprisingly, Decathlon, in an easily spotted greenish yellow.

So what colour are yours and why?  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: What colour tyre levers for LEL?
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2017, 11:54:32 am »
Blue, Park Tools, match the bike natch......

« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2017, 12:03:03 pm »
Black, because the last time I needed to buy a set, I sorted what was on offer from lowest to highest price, and the cheapest ones were... black!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2017, 12:08:34 pm »
Blue, because that's the colour of Var tyre levers.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2017, 12:34:22 pm »
Yellow to match my shoes  :facepalm:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2017, 12:38:42 pm »
I think we should celebrate Brexit with RED, WHITEand BLUE tyre levers, each adorned with reflective tape patches, to help locate them by headtorch after nocturnal ejection.

« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2017, 12:52:41 pm »
I think we should celebrate Brexit with RED, WHITEand BLUE tyre levers, each adorned with reflective tape patches, to help locate them by headtorch after nocturnal ejection.

My thoughts too, but black with dayglow tape in the centre so they can be shared if required by those not enamoured with the B word you refer to.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2017, 01:39:29 pm »
In this post-truth world, surely the only stance to take is that tyre levers will not be needed.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #8 on: 13 January, 2017, 01:45:10 pm »
I've got Topeak Shuttle 1.2 tyre levers, which are black and yellow, so cover all the bases.  Theyre the best tyre levers, the very best, they'll make repairs great again, I only have great levers, the best levers, yellow and black levers, everything else is a failed lever , and I know things about levers you all dont know,  believe me.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #9 on: 13 January, 2017, 01:59:23 pm »
What have I said???!!  :facepalm:

« Reply #10 on: 13 January, 2017, 02:13:37 pm »
Call that a tyre lever? This is a tyre lever

With some added pinkage, just because

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 13 January, 2017, 02:39:46 pm »
I'm PINK therefore I'm Ham...

IGMC

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12 on: 13 January, 2017, 03:15:30 pm »
What have I said???!!  :facepalm:
At least I haven't mentioned the polished concrete gravity bike.

Note for gentle readers: The polished concrete gravity bike was not Ian's idea, nor mine. We won't tell you whose it was (unless you bribe us suitably) but you will meet them on LEL.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: 13 January, 2017, 03:15:58 pm »
In this post-truth world, surely the only stance to take is that tyre levers will not be needed.
The emperor's new tyre levers.  ;D

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #14 on: 13 January, 2017, 03:55:48 pm »
I have given this question a lot of thoughts. I want to match the colour of my valve caps, but then have not yet made up my mind about the latter (any ideas highly appreciated!).  :facepalm: Fortunately, there is still some time to test different setups options and see what works best. May use bag drops to keep my options open.
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: 13 January, 2017, 04:42:44 pm »
You are mistaken to link the two, redfalo. Valve caps are rotating mass and therefore need to be as light a colour as possible. I recommend white or even transparent. With tyre levers, aerodynamics are more important; this is recognized by manufacturers, hence their long, slim shape with sinuous curves. Some might even say these curves are sensuous... who wouldn't want to sleep in a bus shelter with such an object? Oh, sorry, I digress. So, the ultimate aerodynamic colour for tyre levers must be the colour of the wind; sky blue or more realistically in Britain, a dull grey.

« Reply #16 on: 13 January, 2017, 08:18:36 pm »
Haven't decided yet...

« Reply #17 on: 13 January, 2017, 09:55:08 pm »
Go tubeless, then you won't need tyre levers.  :P
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #18 on: 14 January, 2017, 12:03:23 am »
all you guys showing off your small tyre levers - are your tyres small too?

« Reply #19 on: 14 January, 2017, 08:42:00 am »
Can't believe tyre levers (along with other cycling related materiel) was part of a dream I had last night.
YACF does have a subconscious effect!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 14 January, 2017, 08:50:09 am »

Small tyre levers make other things look bigger. Why else do you think that I sometimes ride a small bike? "Does this bicycle make my knicks look fat?"
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #21 on: 14 January, 2017, 11:23:13 am »
Have black ones, now in the shed for working there. Bought Topeak black & yellow for the bike toolkit because MarcusJB said they were good and unbreakable but then I broke one of them so bought another set. So now have black ones, blue ones and black & yellow ones. Had black ones for the 2013 LEL but packed at Moffat, which I'm sure every right-minded auk will agree was entirely because I had black tyre levers that matched the black valve caps. So - be warned!
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #22 on: 14 January, 2017, 11:37:19 am »
My tyre levers* are a sort of pink fleshy colour, except that one of them is a bit yellow at the end right now because of some kind of infection.

*thumbs
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23 on: 14 January, 2017, 11:45:02 am »

Small tyre levers make other things look bigger. Why else do you think that I sometimes ride a small bike? "Does this bicycle make my knicks look fat?"
That would be why the only Moulton rider I personally know is so... touchy-feely. If he lets me have a rummage through his tool kit, I'll let you know the colour of his tyre levers. And size.

« Reply #24 on: 14 January, 2017, 01:21:42 pm »
I was on a 1000km audax overseas with someone on a Moulton and whenever they had a 'visitation' they told me to "ride on, I'll catch up".  Little did I realise at the time that the real reason was no doubt due to their desire to keep the providence of those tyre levers secret.  So much more to the tyre lever 'thingy' than meets the eye!