Author Topic: [LEL17] Time limit / Minimum speed  (Read 2646 times)

[LEL17] Time limit / Minimum speed
« on: 19 January, 2017, 04:22:54 pm »
I notice that the minimum speed is only mentioned in passing once on the website, and the time limit isn't stated at all. So:

- What's the exact time limit in hours?
- What number minimum speed should we be using to calculate the closing times of the controls?

Thanks!

Re: Time limit / Minimum speed
« Reply #1 on: 19 January, 2017, 04:42:17 pm »
The time limit is 116 h and 40 m which is based on 1400 K at 12 kph. As the route is 33k extra distance then the minimum speed must needs be 12.283 kph in order to soak that up. Alwyn has already said that the control times will be based on that amended speed.

« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2017, 06:12:38 pm »
Assuming alwyn follows the same practice as last time, your brevet card will contain your personal control times (yeah, OK, and for everyone else in your start group).

« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2017, 07:09:16 pm »
Its also been said that your personal control closing times are going to be lax and its the final control that is the important one.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2017, 07:17:07 pm »
Slightly OT ramble:
I notice that the minimum speed is only mentioned in passing once on the website, and the time limit isn't stated at all.
This is a bugbear of mine - for some reason this info is very often omitted on otherwise brilliant websites.

As a rider I consider it rather important, and it's good to see it there in Black&White as a sanity check. (for example when you first assess a big ride, later in the year, travel plans do depend on knowing the rough finish time - it's easy to book the wrong train/plane/ferry if you make some simple bad assumption! )

(control distances are also often absent - this is more understandable as they can be fluid, but the "Plan A" would still be much appreciated by this rider!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2017, 10:50:40 pm »
Its also been said that your personal control closing times are going to be lax and its the final control that is the important one.

i think that relaxed might only apply northbound .. southbound if you think about it .. controls are going to be packing up and doing all the break down work needed .. they will not want some fast rider turning up 4 hours out of time .. expecting to be looked after normally.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!