Author Topic: [LEL17] Recording or forecasting LEL  (Read 1937 times)

Grandad

• Once upon a time
[LEL17] Recording or forecasting LEL
« on: 30 July, 2017, 06:57:29 pm »
One rider's entry on the tracking site at  18.55 today

2017-07-30 17:16:14   Arrival   St Ives   1322   102 hours 23 mins
2017-07-30 17:13:26   Arrival   Brampton   560   40 hours 31 mins
2017-07-30 16:32:21   Entered Start Pen   St Ives   100   3 hours 50 mins

Teething trouble?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: Recording or forecasting LEL
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2017, 07:29:25 pm »
Hmmm, that might have been the time his/her bag was scanned here, some teething troubles here as you say.

Phil W

« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2017, 01:00:39 am »
Yep I've corrected the Brampton Arrival / Departures into Bag drop scans. Corrected distance and direction on the scans at other controls that the Brampton glitch fed into the Matrix.   I'll sort out time in hand and average speed Tuesday.  Subsequent scans should have the correct speeds and time in hand as they don't use the time in hand or speeds from a previous record for anything.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2017, 12:04:07 pm »
<view from StIves control desk>

Are you doing a lot of manual corrections Phil?

And how badly does this affect the dashboards etc? At Stives we found our arrival count was typically several hours behind reality. Looking at the scans as we did them, a huge percentage were showing the wrong "type".

( We didn't find the tracking stats at all helpful -  I would say it was worse than in 2013. It's probably quite good for supporters/friends looking at individual riders, as they can figure out what the weird statuses mean by applying common sense! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2017, 06:22:23 pm »
For St Ives northbound you have to put in a finger in the air for initial average speed for the riders. Underestimate that average and you get riders arriving ahead of forecast, overestimate and they arrive behind. So northbound that's your answer.

I corrected Brampton's mistakes several hours after they made them. They made the mistakes between 4-5pm and I corrected them 11pm Sunday. I only did that as they'd incorrectly scanned about 300 riders as arriving, which buggered up the calcs for those riders when scanned further south, as would be expected. So no, I'm not making any manual corrections, you can do that yourself if you mis scan. Brampton's error was a one off that warranted action. No intervention since.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2017, 08:18:32 pm »
For St Ives northbound you have to put in a finger in the air for initial average speed for the riders. Underestimate that average and you get riders arriving ahead of forecast, overestimate and they arrive behind. So northbound that's your answer.
Oh sure, we quickly realised that the forecast arrivals had that problem. Our fault for being the first control :P

I corrected Brampton's mistakes several hours after they made them. They made the mistakes between 4-5pm and I corrected them 11pm Sunday. I only did that as they'd incorrectly scanned about 300 riders as arriving, which buggered up the calcs for those riders when scanned further south, as would be expected.
Ah. We were only busy until about 9pm, well before your corrections - so maybe that's why we were seeing duff figures for our "riders thru so far" during our bulge.

Anyway, please don't worry about our daft questions on here while you have more important things to look at!  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles