Author Topic: [LEL17] Bag Drops  (Read 46627 times)

London Edinburgh London

[LEL17] Bag Drops
« on: 02 January, 2013, 03:05:10 pm »
We've had a few queries about how bag drops will work. Here are a few more details.

When you register on Saturday 27 July, we will give you a gym bag for each bag drop you've requested. The bags will be colour co-ordinated for each control. After you've registered, you can fill the bags with whatever you want us to transport. Each bag will carry about 2.5kg of clothes.

You can deposit no more than 5kg of stuff with us, and we will be strict on this limit. You can use this limit in just one bag, or divide it between two as you see fit. If you want to transport 5kg of clothes to a single control, then you'll probably need to use two bags to do so.

After you've packed your bags, we will have a dedicated bag drop desk where you can check your bags in with us.

Be aware that the bags are likely to piled high in vans, so please don't pack anything fragile, sharp or liable to bursting.

We cannot guarantee when bags will be returned to London. It is likely to be a few hours after the control that you chose has closed. So if you're a faster rider, you should consider sticking to the most northern controls (Moffat, Edinburgh) if you'd like to have your bags waiting for you when you return. We may do intermediate runs south, but that depends on van schedules, which we haven't drafted yet.

Obviously bags drops are at your own risk. So don't do anything foolish like pack your passport!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: How will bag drops work? (2013)
« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2013, 03:07:36 pm »
So don't do anything foolish like pack your passport!

Or your brevet card as one prominent UK rider did on PBP 2011........
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2013, 03:11:36 pm »
So don't do anything foolish like pack your passport!

Or your brevet card as one prominent UK rider did on PBP 2011........

We want a name...  ;D

« Reply #3 on: 02 January, 2013, 06:21:16 pm »
I'm amused by the idea of being so fast that I have to wait for the bag to catch up

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2013, 11:27:58 am »
When you say a 'Gym Bag' is it one of those carrier bag sized ones with a drawstring? I'm just trying to envisage what will fit in. Will it fit a couple of changes of kit, one for out one for back and space for spare batteries energy bars, favourite snacks etc?

London Edinburgh London

« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2013, 11:53:27 am »
When you say a 'Gym Bag' is it one of those carrier bag sized ones with a drawstring? I'm just trying to envisage what will fit in. Will it fit a couple of changes of kit, one for out one for back and space for spare batteries energy bars, favourite snacks etc?

bingo!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #6 on: 05 January, 2013, 09:02:31 pm »
Do you know which colours will be used for which controls, so we can colour-coordinate with post-ride attire?  Will they have the LEL logo all over them?  Do we get to keep them at the end? 

If the bags are cool and we get to keep them, do actually have to use them to keep them?   ;D
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2013, 11:05:29 am »
They will have the LEL logo and the name of the control, and you do get to keep them afterwards.  We haven't yet decided on colours.

We tried one last weekend, and I got a thick thermal top, shirt, tights, shorts, sox, and ski pants in fairly easily, and the weight was just on 2 1/2 kg.

Keith

mikewigley

« Reply #8 on: 06 January, 2013, 05:39:57 pm »
They will have the LEL logo and the name of the control, and you do get to keep them afterwards.  We haven't yet decided on colours.

We tried one last weekend, and I got a thick thermal top, shirt, tights, shorts, sox, and ski pants in fairly easily, and the weight was just on 2 1/2 kg.

Keith

So a plan to ride the flat sections on a fixed wheel bike, then swap to a geared bike from the Barnard Castle bag drop isn't going to work then?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #9 on: 06 January, 2013, 05:52:48 pm »
So a plan to ride the flat sections on a fixed wheel bike, then swap to a geared bike from the Barnard Castle bag drop isn't going to work then?

Only if your geared bike is very very small:

Right! What's next?

« Reply #10 on: 06 January, 2013, 07:02:02 pm »
How sad am I- I wasn't sure I'd want bag drops, I was just going to sneak my stuff in Chris's, but now I know you get to keep the bags afterwards I want them!

Re: How will bag drops work?
« Reply #11 on: 06 January, 2013, 07:21:52 pm »

Myself and two friends are hoping to do the event together and have submitted a team name to ensure we start at the same time. With up to 6 bag drops between us it might be an idea to have some bags that have items for more than one rider in - subject to the weight limit obviously.

My question is how is access to bags going to be controlled? - not a problem if we all arrive at a control together but circumstances might mean that the group splits and I'm wondering that if its not officially your bag there may be a problem.

« Reply #12 on: 06 January, 2013, 08:18:03 pm »
Another slightly odd question... suppose you select bag drop locations on the basis of a calculation of speeds in previous events... and then on the day you are faster and get to a control, say the one with the yellow bags, but you decide it's too early for a sleep, you can carry on to the next one....but you don't have space in saddle bag for the contents of the bag, so you decide to sling it over your shoulder and ride carrying it to the next control where the bags are all purple.
At the "purple" control, you sleep, change clothes, and want to leave the smelly stuff in the yellow bag.

What will the system do with the odd coloured bag?

« Reply #13 on: 06 January, 2013, 08:44:46 pm »
Maybe there will be color-blind volunteers ?... ::-)

« Reply #14 on: 06 January, 2013, 08:52:17 pm »
Another slightly odd question... suppose you select bag drop locations on the basis of a calculation of speeds in previous events... and then on the day you are faster and get to a control, say the one with the yellow bags, but you decide it's too early for a sleep, you can carry on to the next one....but you don't have space in saddle bag for the contents of the bag, so you decide to sling it over your shoulder and ride carrying it to the next control where the bags are all purple.
At the "purple" control, you sleep, change clothes, and want to leave the smelly stuff in the yellow bag.

What will the system do with the odd coloured bag?

I undertand that pots of paint of all the various colours will be available at all controls.

More importantly, I have also heard that riders will be required to have coloured valve caps to match their bag drops, so that helpers can quickly assist riders with their resupply needs.

« Reply #15 on: 06 January, 2013, 11:35:11 pm »
Another Question: I see there is a weight limit of 2.5kg for the bags, does this apply to the outbound only, or outbound and return, bearing in mind that wet clothes can be much heavier than dry ones, so if it has been chucking it down and I'm soaking wet, I strip off my wet clothes and stuff them in the bag, the bag may end up weighing more than 2.5kg, would it then get left at the control?  or get charged extortinate excess baggage charges?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #16 on: 07 January, 2013, 01:58:39 am »
Maybe there will be color-blind volunteers ?... ::-)

I would qualify for that

« Reply #17 on: 07 January, 2013, 06:57:49 am »
Rookie question - do you get to use a bag drop only once, or multiple times? So if I planed a drop at say Pocklington with a mix of clothes and back-up spares, could I use it on the way up for clothes and back if I needed the spares. Or would I only get access once?

Trying to decide whether to book both bags for Barnard Castle, 1 up and 1 back, or whether I can sub-divided if I can use each more than once.

TIA for any advice

-- Rob
The other Robw, not the wobbly one

« Reply #18 on: 07 January, 2013, 08:12:09 am »
I believe you can have access to each bag in both directions... so long as it is not at a control that is on one of the "one-way" loops at either end.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #19 on: 07 January, 2013, 08:25:05 am »
I believe you can have access to each bag in both directions... so long as it is not at a control that is on one of the "one-way" loops at either end.

Totally as I understand it.

So a bag drop at 3-400km will give you a change of shorts after the first day and then another pair for your last day on your second visit.

Remember to include a plastic bag in your drop bag to separate the filthy from the clean.
Right! What's next?

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #20 on: 07 January, 2013, 09:45:08 am »
Another Question: I see there is a weight limit of 2.5kg for the bags, does this apply to the outbound only, or outbound and return, bearing in mind that wet clothes can be much heavier than dry ones, so if it has been chucking it down and I'm soaking wet, I strip off my wet clothes and stuff them in the bag, the bag may end up weighing more than 2.5kg, would it then get left at the control?  or get charged extortinate excess baggage charges?
Current assumption is that we  need to ensure no silly seriously overweight drop bags - so two bags with a  maximum weight of 5kgs - that will be checked. Why this limit - so that we can organise the vans, physical effort  and delivery system to get bags to the right place.

No current plan to weigh homebound bags ( wet or not) - but I will check with Easyjet - on whether they would advise that this is a potentially very lucrative source of income.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Andrew

« Reply #21 on: 07 January, 2013, 11:13:50 am »
A question I have is 'how to identify my bag?' Imagine the scene, arrive at your choice of back drop control to be greeted by a sea of yellow gym bags... all identical.

I presume they'll be ordered by rider number or somesuch. If so, I hope riders put them back in the same order! Or, is there going to be like a bag check facility? Give your rider number to a volunteer and they retrieve (and replace) your bag?.

« Reply #22 on: 07 January, 2013, 11:53:53 am »
From the point of view of security, we wouldn't let riders rummage among hundreds of bags.

Bags will be labelled with your name and rider number, writ large.  An aid to sorting will be that rider numbers will be prefixed by a letter according to start time, eg A43, H25. 

Controls will each have a BA trained baggage handler in charge of the process.

Keith

« Reply #23 on: 07 January, 2013, 12:02:30 pm »
Controls will each have a BA trained baggage handler in charge of the process.

That's made the decision for me  to ride with all my gear in my saddlebag then!

:)

Andrew

« Reply #24 on: 07 January, 2013, 12:08:09 pm »
Thanks for the reply Keith. Sounds like it's all under control!  :thumbsup: