Author Topic: People who park like fuds  (Read 286641 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: People who park like fuds
« Reply #475 on: 03 February, 2014, 07:14:30 pm »
Oh, I dunno.  Maybe everyone who helped got their car dug out.
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #476 on: 03 February, 2014, 11:32:47 pm »
Clearing snow isn't a question of turnign up with a plough and it all goes away. It has to be put somewhere. This still appears to be a surprise in this country when we have mre than a few inches for more than a few days. All agreed plough arrangements mark out the areas to be swept and where the snow that has been swept is to be put. In this case it appeared to be clear the edge and pile in the middle.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #477 on: 03 February, 2014, 11:40:15 pm »
From HELSINGIN SANOMAT (a Helsinki newspaper) in September 2010:-

All good (and bad) things come to an end.
      And the end is nigh for the giant pile of snow heaped up in Helsinki's Maununneva, the fate of which we have followed off and on since it was measured at a princely 27 metres in April.

The pile, made of waste snow ploughed from the streets of the capital during an exceptionally white winter, was so tall in the spring that some even began to doubt whether it would ever melt - or at least whether it would be still there when the weather turns cold enough once more to give it some protection from the elements.
      Well, the jury will soon be in, and it looks as though the heap will not make it.
      On September 15th it was measured at a measly one metre in height.

The melting process has accelerated as the end approaches.
      In the last two weeks the pile has shed 3.4 metres in height and the area over which it spreads has also diminished appreciably.

And to bring it vaguely back on topic

As the months have passed since April, the vanishing pile has revealed from its bowels a whole host of interesting and strange artefacts: at least some jeans, a concrete "pig" as used to deter drivers from using a street, flower boxes, and plastic spades and shovels.
      Almost at the death, just recently, a digger driver working on the pile unearthed two motorbikes.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #478 on: 07 February, 2014, 10:02:40 pm »
It's a courtyard in a block of flats, so likely to have been cleared by hand rather than plough, and by a janitor. The photo's obviously taken in "pre-spring" or late winter when there's already been some thaw. So we don't know whether the car was parked in an area previously identified for snow dumping, or if the snow-clearers dumped the snow on top of the car, or what. It could well be that the car was already abandoned or immobile. One thing's for sure, it's going to be pretty wet inside when spring proper comes.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #479 on: 12 February, 2014, 10:07:59 am »
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #480 on: 12 February, 2014, 10:19:07 am »
Not parking, but last night I saw a chap sat in his car waiting (presumably for the dance class to chuck out) near the Methodist Church in Carshalton.  He was waiting on double yellow lines at a Give Way onto a reasonably busy road.  A car coming up behind pipped his horn, and the offender looked offended.

Fud.
Getting there...

« Reply #481 on: 06 March, 2014, 03:12:00 pm »
On a very busy roundabout this morning.
Just around the corner is a little, ie never, used bus stop.

Chelmsford City council have been informed (little good it'll do though!).

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #482 on: 15 March, 2014, 06:03:45 pm »
The Country Girl right now.

I tried to warn him that there would be loads of studes along soon, lifting their BSOs over his Harley.  He didn't seem to get it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #483 on: 15 March, 2014, 08:14:11 pm »
I suppose you could assemble a fire...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #484 on: 23 March, 2014, 04:46:56 pm »
I met this one in Dunfermline on Tuesday
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #486 on: 27 March, 2014, 01:01:42 pm »
https://metro.co.uk/2014/03/25/motorist-unintentionally-discovers-basement-parking-spot-after-crashing-range-rover-4677715/

"The circumstances of the accident, which took place on Saturday, are unclear"

And will remain forever unclear as the Met say it is not a police matter.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #487 on: 27 March, 2014, 01:53:13 pm »
I'd suggest there is evidence of having driven over the pavement, which is an offence.
Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #488 on: 27 March, 2014, 02:00:53 pm »
I'd suggest there is evidence of having driven over the pavement, which is an offence.

But, as discussed before, the police can only do anything about it if they witness it.  Otherwise there is reasonable doubt about whether the car was craned in there, dropped there by aliens or spirited there by a magician.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #489 on: 27 March, 2014, 02:08:33 pm »
True.  Those skidmarks leading to the edge may have been left by some other vehicle entirely.

Stand down, Constable.
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #490 on: 27 March, 2014, 03:05:17 pm »
The Met evidently believe that no careless or dangerous driving have occurred.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #491 on: 27 March, 2014, 03:08:56 pm »
Well, that goes without saying.
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #492 on: 27 March, 2014, 06:55:49 pm »
...the scenario was made even worse by the fact the car was brand new and only had 500 miles on the clock.

No, it was made worse by some one having a car crash into their home/office/whatever that building is. And the railings.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #494 on: 10 April, 2014, 12:40:17 pm »
Other than the fact the cycle lanes have been specified and painted as mandatory, when they were clearly intended to be advisory, I can't see what's wrong with this.

It's a hugely wide road, plenty of space to cycle on and very little motor traffic. Presumably on a weekday things are different and the blue lanes are full of cyclists rather than parked cars.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #495 on: 11 April, 2014, 04:46:03 pm »
Other than the fact the cycle lanes have been specified and painted as mandatory, when they were clearly intended to be advisory, I can't see what's wrong with this.
Double Yellow Lines
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #496 on: 13 April, 2014, 09:31:07 am »
Double Yellow Lines

No, they're single, which is why I thought the mandatoriness of the cycle lane doesn't make any sense - there's no sign showing hours of operation for the cycle lane so parking isn't allowed ever. The council/tfl clearly think otherwise with the single yellow line contradicting this.

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #497 on: 30 April, 2014, 07:06:11 pm »

Why do you suggest they were they intended to be advisory?  As far as I am aware, all CS routes are mandatory.

And it is not uncommon for mandatory cycle paths not to have hours of operation but to be in force at all times.

EDIT - From the Cycle Superhighway Scheme web-site:

The Barclays Cycle Superhighways will be delivered to high standards close to international best practice. With the proviso that nothing must reduce cyclists’ right to use any road, segregation will be favoured. Where it is not possible to segregate, semi-segregation will also be considered along with wide mandatory cycle lanes which cannot be entered by motor vehicles. Tackling junctions to provide safer and more comfortable conditions for cyclists is a priority, separating cyclists from other traffic in time and space.

Seems manadatory lanes are intended to be the norm where direct segregation cannot be achieved (as in this case).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #498 on: 30 April, 2014, 07:47:24 pm »
Boris failed to follow the legal procedure, so none of the Superhighways actually have any legal status at all.  ::-)
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #499 on: 01 May, 2014, 12:46:46 pm »
A novel approach taken in Kyiv:

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: