Author Topic: Vuelta? - Sorry, I appear to be lost.  (Read 6602 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Vuelta? - Sorry, I appear to be lost.
« on: 22 August, 2016, 08:43:58 pm »
I came here expecting a thread on the Vuelta.  Couldn't find it so I checked sporting life, not there either.  So I searched - nowt again.  I must be lost.

Am I the only one on here with a bursting desire to comment on how ridiculously, stupidly, insanely BONKERS the finish of todays stage was?  I'd prefer my rock boots to walk up that and just forget riding it at any speed with any gears.  How in the flibbity gibbett did they keep the front wheel in contact with the ground?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Vuelta? - Sorry, I appear to be lost.
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2016, 09:04:50 pm »
By being much much lighter and stronger than most of us, methinks.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Samuel D

« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2016, 09:06:48 pm »
It was brutal alright. Not a good day to be someone with no discernible anaerobic burst, such as Contador.

Froome did very well, but this is the kind of finish that flatters him. Remains to be seen what his form will be like, especially as the race progresses and he inevitably comes down from his Tour/Olympics peak. I hope he doesn’t get sick, which is what my body would do if it tried to do what his is doing this year.

« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2016, 09:10:24 pm »
great finish  :thumbsup:---grand tours seem to be in search of most steep / insane finishes currently ! Perhaps it`s not a real cycling test though but certainly opened up the GC
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #4 on: 23 August, 2016, 04:23:46 pm »
Ahh La Vuelta, only the Spanish can love looking for those climbs that even Barbary Apes would wince at.  I seem to remember that the local TV producers also have a moto that shows the inclines as the riders are riding it!!  :facepalm: :facepalm:

I loved the Great D Millar's throwaway comment about it only being 1.8km and how it would take them 9-10 minutes because it was steep.  :o STEEP :o it was a blinking wall with extra bricks on top  :o ;D :o

I love La Vuelta

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2016, 07:29:21 pm »
I'vereally enjoyed the Vuelta coverage in the last couple f years.

Not so excited this year; need a break from telly straight after the Olympics, and the evenings are too nice for telly watching.

But I'm sure I'll get into it!  (I'm Foreign Audaxing Sep 1-4th - hopefully it wont all  be over when I get back)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2016, 07:57:21 pm »
Ahh La Vuelta, only the Spanish can love looking for those climbs that even Barbary Apes would wince at.  I seem to remember that the local TV producers also have a moto that shows the inclines as the riders are riding it!!  :facepalm: :facepalm:

I loved the Great D Millar's throwaway comment about it only being 1.8km and how it would take them 9-10 minutes because it was steep.  :o STEEP :o it was a blinking wall with extra bricks on top  :o ;D :o

I love La Vuelta

ToB do it sometimes too. A couple years back they took the ride up Newlands Pass from Buttermere in the pouring rain which had the back of the pack walking up.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2016, 07:57:16 pm »
On the FNRttC, one of the calls we have is "Bollard!" Looks like they could do with that in La Vuelta.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2016, 08:36:38 pm »
On the FNRttC, one of the calls we have is "Bollard!" Looks like they could do with that in La Vuelta.

Shades of the incident from last year's Tour of the Basque Country?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riders-angry-after-high-speed-basque-country-crash
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2016, 08:55:33 pm »

I love La Vuelta

ToB do it sometimes too. A couple years back they took the ride up Newlands Pass from Buttermere in the pouring rain which had the back of the pack walking up.

They're going up 'The Struggle' this year.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 26 August, 2016, 08:23:55 am »

Shades of the incident from last year's Tour of the Basque Country?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riders-angry-after-high-speed-basque-country-crash
So Bollard-gate rumbled on a bit yesterday, but it seems that the (uninjured) riders are now past it, and focusing on the racing. GWS Mr Krosewick* .

I did enjoy the interview with his (dutch?) team-mate. It made SUCH a change to hear a forgiving attitude, following a heartfelt apology. You see Humans, it IS possible to make the best of things if you actually want to!

*(that might be spelt wrong)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #11 on: 26 August, 2016, 09:27:07 am »
"Kruijswijk", but we all knew who you meant.

What did the team mate have to say?  Paraphrase would do if you haven't got a link to a transcript.

ETA.
Where is Mr. Larrington's penetrating analysis and summary of Yates S'. performance yesterday?

Come to that; where are his analyses and summaries of the stages so far?

Tsk, tsk. Not good enough Mr. Larrington, D for effort and take 100 lines; "I must not shirk my major stage race analysis and summarising duties if I know what's good for my health."
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 26 August, 2016, 10:32:00 am »
[ ... stalls, while deeply hoping that someone will post a link to the relevant ITV4 catchup page...   ]

Yes, "Kruijswijk". well done!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #13 on: 27 August, 2016, 10:58:08 pm »
Where is Mr. Larrington's penetrating analysis and summary of Yates S'. performance yesterday?

Come to that; where are his analyses and summaries of the stages so far?

Tsk, tsk. Not good enough Mr. Larrington, D for effort and take 100 lines; "I must not shirk my major stage race analysis and summarising duties if I know what's good for my health."

AFAIK, P@nd3m1c® Pr0duct10nz™ doesn't cover "chipper" races.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 28 August, 2016, 05:36:44 pm »
"Kruijswijk", but we all knew who you meant.

What did the team mate have to say?  Paraphrase would do if you haven't got a link to a transcript.

Summat like:
Obs apologies dont fix K's injuries. But they are good to hear.
Its the first time we [the riders] have had an apology from organisers. To hear an honest apololgy, with regret, shows that they are thinking about what has gone wrong; so there is hope that they will fix things.

[meanwhile ...]
Contador's interview yesterday was interesting - he only seems to consider Froome as the man to beat.
And of course it was also interesting to see the Froom-omatic 3000 brain actually miscalculate his pacing.

It's game on ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

David Martin

« Reply #15 on: 28 August, 2016, 06:34:57 pm »
And another red jersey holder. Looks like a cracking race so far with plenty of calculating for the breakaway going on.

« Reply #16 on: 31 August, 2016, 08:17:12 am »
Froome appears to be annoying  Quintana by carefully riding his own race and not exhausting himself. Quintana has called for a ban on power meters, saying they make things 'unfair'. Not quite sure how, except that records from them might show when some riders are hanging on to motorbikes . . .

<i>Marmite slave</i>

David Martin

« Reply #17 on: 31 August, 2016, 09:01:33 am »
Maybe they should ban garmins and speedos, and notes of when key points are happening stuck to the handlebars.

« Reply #18 on: 03 September, 2016, 11:43:23 am »
The peloton was 33 minutes behind the stage winner!

Just like the good old days :-)
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Andrew

« Reply #19 on: 03 September, 2016, 12:05:05 pm »
Maybe they should ban garmins and speedos, and notes of when key points are happening stuck to the handlebars.

They ride in speedos!  :o

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #20 on: 03 September, 2016, 02:53:19 pm »

They ride in speedos!  :o

That will involve a bit more shaving.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #21 on: 03 September, 2016, 05:42:30 pm »
Bloody good battle up Aubisque today!!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #22 on: 03 September, 2016, 08:08:54 pm »
My, my.  That _was_ exciting.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #23 on: 03 September, 2016, 08:11:13 pm »
great stage indeed and Simon y was amazing in his ride to take so much time on GC contenders
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Samuel D

« Reply #24 on: 04 September, 2016, 03:31:18 pm »
Incredible scenes in Spain right now. Tune in if you haven’t.