Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The Pub / Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Last post by Kim on Today at 08:29:35 pm »
Premier Inn WiFi: Slow as shit, but FTP to the BHPC's webby Science works. Eventually.

Three 5G mind control portable tellingbone rays: Admirable throughput, presumably because demand is carefully regulated by introducing mysterious socket errors, and therefore useless for bulk file transfers.

BAH!
The Pub / Re: Quote for works v Works carried out
« Last post by Canardly on Today at 08:15:20 pm »
There is an old tale of a motorist having a noise problem with a gearbox. Upon taking it to garage No 1 he is told that a replacement gearbox is required and that this will cost him in the region of three thousand pounds. He then takes it to another garage for a second opinion. The garage proprieter places the car upon a ramp and half an hour later tells the owner the problem has been fixed and that the cost will be five hundred pounds. The car owner is outraged.
What is he paying for?
Has he had value for money?
Rides and Touring / Re: Have you been out today?
« Last post by perpetual dan on Today at 08:13:29 pm »
Loch Earn to Corrour. Beautiful, but with a full load, hard work.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

OT Gallery / Re: Birds (feathered kind)
« Last post by Pingu on Today at 08:10:52 pm »
« Last post by Blazer on Today at 08:04:00 pm »
Thanks everyone for taking the time to contribute. I'm feeling more reassured with just paying and moving on. I also don't think that my feelings are entirely out of place.

It was a limited scope piece of work, so very little expectations of unforeseen arising.

I think the other thing that niggled me was the short notice use of a sub contractor, but that doesn't seem unusual.

Thanks again
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 07:53:16 pm »
I'm a consultant, I don't build a 50% contingency into my proposals.

It depends on the type of work involved and the unforeseeable nature of a particular job, doesn't it.

Err, no

I've quoted a 6 month job on a 1 page brief, I was within 5% of actual required effort

You state defined task, effort, assumptions. If I quote a two person job I don't send one person
« Last post by Paul H on Today at 07:48:37 pm »
If I was happy with the work and price I'd have paid it.  But whether you've had what you've been quoted for I'm not so sure about.  If the itemised quote is costed, then I'd say certainly not, but if it looks like the workings out then maybe you have.  I wonder what would have happened if it had taken longer, would they have been saying they hadn't quoted for that?
It seems a bit amateurish, when I did such things a quote would be fixed and not included a time breakdown, but an estimate would in order for it to be invoiced against on completion.   
Realistically, I suspect you were never going to get two days work, including costs and materials for £325.
« Last post by toontra on Today at 07:46:40 pm »

It depends on the type of work involved and the unforeseeable nature of a particular job, doesn't it.
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 07:41:04 pm »
I may be interested.   :)   Bus 'n bike back from London also works apparently.

I like Shropshire; 5+ generations of the family come from Clun valley area.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10