Author Topic: I am not a vegan...  (Read 40514 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: I am not a vegan...
« Reply #350 on: 13 February, 2015, 10:43:20 am »
I always have a spicy beanburger in Burger King, because I like them.  The cashier's face always falls because this involves a once-a-month excursion to the back of the freezer to find one, and I get looked at by the guy doing the frying as if I'm up there with Gary and Jimmy in the perversion stakes.  They're not even on the menu over the tills these days.  I need to get an "I am not a vegetarian but..." t-shirt.
Must be a Swindon thing. Who's going to read a menu in Swindon? Triggered by this, as I was passing Burger King in the middle of Bristle the other day, I went in to check - and not only is the bean burger on the menu, the veggie section is top of the list! Mind you, it didn't actually say "spicy".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #351 on: 28 November, 2017, 02:34:08 am »
Which chain would the panel recommend for a Festive Meal (for Brent Cyclists) next December?
I'm thinking of a group of 10-12, around ⅓ of whom are vegan, several are veggie and I'm in a wheelchair.

We're going to wagamama this year, after last year's venue turned into a meat, meat and more meat place.

Maybe we should just see which Indian places can take flexible bookings for a medium-sized party and a wheelchair...

« Reply #352 on: 28 November, 2017, 10:29:14 am »
Haven't been yet, but the former Yaohan Plaza/Oriental City near you has re-opened as Bang Bang  :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #353 on: 28 November, 2017, 12:59:43 pm »
Haven't been yet, but the former Yaohan Plaza/Oriental City near you has re-opened as Bang Bang  :)

Went there to celebrate David's birthday in early July. Got the discount for dining in its first few days. Air conditioning was very noisy and David nearly froze to death! (We'd gone out without our winter coats...) Food was OK, not special and it was quite pricy. We won't be back.

« Reply #354 on: 28 November, 2017, 02:46:09 pm »
We (the diaspora of famille fboab) like a cheeky Nandos- for all its chicken-bias, it has options that tick the boxes for the HFLC, vegetarian, ketchup lovin' and plant-based-whole-food eaters among us.

It's massively overpriced though.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #355 on: 28 November, 2017, 03:07:49 pm »
Sorry, fboab, David HATES Nando's

I'm starting to feel like a party pooper!

ian

« Reply #356 on: 28 November, 2017, 03:46:52 pm »
I confess I've cut my cheeky Nandos as I'm only eating certified and free roaming happy chickens but indeed the last time I was tempted by the piri piri, it was rather expensive for what seemed like it ought to be a 'cheap' meal (I could have eaten in a decent restaurant for not much more). It's pretty much fast food, not your haughty cousin.

Basically, Nandos is a cunning disguisedly Harvester.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #357 on: 28 November, 2017, 04:18:50 pm »
We've had to scrub the idea of Wagamama because there's some kind of kick-ball fixture nearby that evening.

Rose Vegetarian has a wheelchair-friendly loo and 300 meat-free items on its menu. It's only just over a mile from here.

No alcohol is allowed on the premises...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #358 on: 28 November, 2017, 06:01:05 pm »
For chains, some of the pizza places are pretty good. Zizzi or Pizza Express or Bella Italia can do vegan pizzas or pasta, and a few options for desserts.
And now Pizza Hut have vegan pizza.

ian

« Reply #359 on: 28 November, 2017, 06:05:34 pm »
It's pizza Jim, but not as we know it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #360 on: 28 November, 2017, 06:39:34 pm »
We're now planning to descend on the Rose Vegetarian, which is local and has a HUGE choice on its menu. (They also offer onion and garlic-free for their Jain customers.)

They are alcohol-free but there are many pubs nearby.

I'm really happy to be going to a place that won't flaunt items offensive to friends who might be too shy to say that they find them so.

Am I over-sensitive? I went through a short vegetarian phase myself, during which I found the sight and smell of meat repulsive.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #361 on: 28 November, 2017, 07:22:11 pm »
I confess I've cut my cheeky Nandos as I'm only eating certified and free roaming happy chickens but indeed the last time I was tempted by the piri piri, it was rather expensive for what seemed like it ought to be a 'cheap' meal (I could have eaten in a decent restaurant for not much more). It's pretty much fast food, not your haughty cousin.

Basically, Nandos is a cunning disguisedly Harvester.

Not really.
Harvester portions are BIG. Quarter of a Nando's chicken is Really Not Very Much.

A tenner will *just* get you some chicken, basic sides and a fizzy drink. As you say, rather mediocre value for money.

ian

« Reply #362 on: 28 November, 2017, 08:08:19 pm »
I don't think I've ever been to an Harvester. Searches memory... Yes, yes, I remember now, we did once undramatically murder some time in the one by Falconwood station (if it's still there) many many years ago. We were hiding from squirrels, if I recall. That's all I recall. I do suggest to my wife that we go to the one in Upper Norwood but she gives me that look. I honestly don't know her problem. I enjoyed our anniversary jaunt to Toby's Carvery.

But yeah, I'd dodged the expense of Nandos by making other people buy it. It was shock when finally I found myself ordering and how fucking much?. Mind you, I carry both alleles for parsimony so I say that a lot. But still, £10 for a bit of grilled chicken that doesn't even come with its happy bonafides. It's like 10p in South Africa ('big lie' said a South African earlier, but it is cheaper). It's not like I'm eating somewhere posh like Wimpy.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #363 on: 28 November, 2017, 08:15:22 pm »
Went to the Harvester at Taunton last year as part of the Audax weekend jamboree.
Their barbecue sauce is 46% sugar!
Food otherwise so unmemorable that I only recall the company, not what I ate...

ian

« Reply #364 on: 28 November, 2017, 08:33:24 pm »
Pah, I'm pretty sure I've BBQ sauce in Mississippi that was 110% sugar. And they still managed to fit all the butter in.