Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2442357 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #950 on: 23 December, 2008, 10:08:34 pm »
I bet none of them had dynamo lights though!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #951 on: 26 December, 2008, 03:59:37 pm »
Here are some more pictures of "Titane" that is replacing my ribble winter/trainer bike.

It has become my favorite bike. Because of its geometry, it does not iron out road surface imperfections as other bike made of titanium but it feels fast, is stable and just feels right.

rogerzilla

« Reply #952 on: 31 December, 2008, 04:19:18 pm »
Increasingly pimped Brompton S3L - now with Sturmey-Archer 1950s AM close-ratio hub (in a 1970s AW shell, because they never made AMs with 28 holes), honey Brooks Team Pro Ti saddle, honey leather grips (made by Dimension, don't leave room for my bar ends and may or may not stay).  The Stelvios are back on for tomorrow's New Year "10".  I'd like to say it's really fast, but nothing with 16" wheels is fast except on a velodrome or a billard table.

I weighed it for the first time - 25.6lb as in the picture, or 11.6kg in new money.  That's pretty good considering it has full lighting gear, pedals, a Brooks saddle and a steel-shell hub - in fact, it's the quoted weight of a totally standard M3L without lighting, with the standard saddle and with an alloy-shell hub.

« Reply #953 on: 01 January, 2009, 12:42:37 pm »
Very nice, if you like small bikes.  ;D

Euan Uzami

« Reply #954 on: 02 January, 2009, 10:55:54 am »
spacers above stem. big no no
and what's that stuff strapped round the forks?  :-\

sorry to be critical.nice bike otherwise.

Here are some more pictures of "Titane" that is replacing my ribble winter/trainer bike.

It has become my favorite bike. Because of its geometry, it does not iron out road surface imperfections as other bike made of titanium but it feels fast, is stable and just feels right.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #955 on: 02 January, 2009, 11:09:32 am »
Gotta agree with Euan.  Of course, a quill stem is the most elegant you can get, but, even with the pig-ugly agricultural brutality of threadless stems, having spacers above is pretty much the only way you could make it uglier without taping a photo of Ann widdecombe to it ;D

The stuff round the forks is the rubber attachments for the Raceblades, which is fair enough, though they could be trimmed down a bit...

Otherwise, a cool bike, though, nic :)
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #956 on: 02 January, 2009, 11:09:51 am »
Straps to keep those raceguards on. They can be trimmed, you know.

« Reply #957 on: 02 January, 2009, 03:36:46 pm »
Gotta agree with Euan.  Of course, a quill stem is the most elegant you can get, but, even with the pig-ugly agricultural brutality of threadless stems, having spacers above is pretty much the only way you could make it uglier without taping a photo of Ann widdecombe to it ;D

The stuff round the forks is the rubber attachments for the Raceblades, which is fair enough, though they could be trimmed down a bit...

Otherwise, a cool bike, though, nic :)
Cheers. Fair enough about the stem. it's just the perfect height and don't fancy cutting the stem. I will have to make amend and post some new pictures.  ;D

Not sure about trimming the raceblade rubber. Quite convenient to have them long to fit them to other bikes that may have meatier forks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #958 on: 02 January, 2009, 03:39:55 pm »
Reusing raceblades?  Hmm.  I think you have to regard them as consumables, myself.
Getting there...

ed_o_brain

« Reply #959 on: 02 January, 2009, 10:59:47 pm »
Reusing raceblades?  Hmm.  I think you have to regard them as consumables, myself.

I consider them to be a bit expensive to be consumables!!!

2tyred2ride

« Reply #960 on: 03 January, 2009, 06:01:06 pm »
My 09 Boardman

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #961 on: 12 January, 2009, 05:48:52 pm »
My son's re-conditioned Peugeot Leader:

Sora/105 groupset (12-27 7-speed)
Shimano R450 (Tiagra) 57mm brakes
Miche Young 155mm crankset (46/40)
600A alloy rims courtesy Harrumph!
Schwalbe Right Run tyres
Charge saddle
Thorn 50mm stem
Modolo Venus bars
Original Peugeot stupid 24.0mm seatpost!

Weight, all in incliding lights, 'guards, computer, pedals and bottle 11.4kg (25lb)

« Reply #962 on: 12 January, 2009, 06:56:34 pm »
Ooooh, very smart  :thumbsup:  Did you build the front wheel yourself, Tim?

I bet your son is jolly proud of it!
Profit or planet?

Rob S

« Reply #963 on: 12 January, 2009, 07:23:37 pm »
Not sure about trimming the raceblade rubber. Quite convenient to have them long to fit them to other bikes that may have meatier forks.

You don't trim the excess bits off...you cut them in half and then you have spares. Then you you use the original spares for the meaty forks.

« Reply #964 on: 12 January, 2009, 07:34:33 pm »
My 09 Boardman

It's maybe just me but are those really big bars? With a really large drop? Or is it just that they're tipped so far forward? You must be really reaching, no?

TimC

« Reply #965 on: 13 January, 2009, 09:44:33 am »
Ooooh, very smart  :thumbsup:  Did you build the front wheel yourself, Tim?

I bet your son is jolly proud of it!

Yes, I did, so I'll be keeping a close eye on it for a while! He hasn't seen it yet - the great unveiling is this afternoon. Sadly, it'll be well dark befiore he gets to see it, so he probably won't get a good ride out until Saturday.

2tyred2ride

« Reply #966 on: 13 January, 2009, 07:13:04 pm »
My 09 Boardman

It's maybe just me but are those really big bars? With a really large drop? Or is it just that they're tipped so far forward? You must be really reaching, no?

They arn't that big?  But my hands are fairly big, I don't like compact bars or whatever the small ones are called my hands don't fit on them, and I am quite tall so the reach is fine, it's only a 56cm frame.

rogerzilla

« Reply #967 on: 13 January, 2009, 07:31:08 pm »
My son's re-conditioned Peugeot Leader:

I think that's the first bike I've seen with negative saddle setback!  Is it a bit big for him, perchance?

TimC

« Reply #968 on: 13 January, 2009, 09:22:33 pm »
A tiny bit! He's a little short in the body for an 11 year old, and 50mm was as short as I wanted to go on the stem. The frame size isn't optional, and the alternatives were a lot more expensive. He's growing fast, and this bike has enough space to accommodate that for maybe two years. After that he'll be ready for the world of 700c and all its associated options and flexibility.

The bottom line is: he loves it and it fits, within reason. You've never seen a lad so chuffed and awed by STIs!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #969 on: 13 January, 2009, 10:28:37 pm »
He'll grow into it!  ;)

That really is a bike to be proud of. Just the kind of thing I lusted after at the age of 11.

May I be the first to register an interest when he's finished with it? I figure that young Master Torslanda will be coming up to his 11th birthday about then and he would, I know, have the biggest grin on his face if he got to ride around on that!

If, of course, you've no one to pass it on to.

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

TimC

« Reply #970 on: 14 January, 2009, 03:35:03 pm »
When the time comes it'll be offered here first, naturally!

In fact, it was offered a while back, along with his previous Raleigh Racer (full T Mobile livery!), as it was way too big for him at the time. There were no takers, so I decided to bling it up when he got big enough. Just as well, as most of the 24"-wheeled production racing bikes then on offer have disappeared - though Islabikes have filled the void somewhat. With bits from the bike shed parts bin, plus about £100 in new stuff, he's got a bike that's unique and has some heritage credibility, as well as being relatively light. Win all round! ;D

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #971 on: 14 January, 2009, 04:04:15 pm »
May I be the first to register an interest when he's finished with it?

And may I be second? It won't be needed for a few years but I thought I should register my interest!
Pen Pusher

TimC

« Reply #972 on: 14 January, 2009, 07:40:16 pm »
Ok, chaps. Form a line. Better bring a tent and some grub.... ;)

rogerzilla

« Reply #973 on: 14 January, 2009, 08:47:31 pm »
Are they 24 x 1 3/8" wheels?  Can you still get rubber for them?  It was a really common size until MTB took over.

TimC

« Reply #974 on: 15 January, 2009, 12:51:10 pm »
They're 600A 24x1" (25/540). Tyres are available from Mobility Scotland, and probably any other wheelchair supplier. Bicycle wheels that size, however, are very difficult to find!