Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2441434 times)

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #1100 on: 09 February, 2009, 02:24:50 pm »
You should ditch the valve dustcaps - you know what these airlines are like with baggage restrictions  ;)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #1101 on: 09 February, 2009, 02:31:23 pm »
It's not a Brommie and you wouldn't be using it for multo-modal transport in the same way.  It's a race bike that also takes down.  Same as an Airnimal only much, much nicer (IMHO).

It takes us way longer than 15 minutes to assemble/disassemble the tandem with it's three sets of S&S couplings, so I reckon a quarter of an hour in the hotel room the other end is quite acceptable.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1102 on: 09 February, 2009, 02:32:24 pm »
You should ditch the valve dustcaps - you know what these airlines are like with baggage restrictions  ;)
Yeah. Anyway, I need red ones! ;D

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1103 on: 09 February, 2009, 02:33:28 pm »
As TimO says, it's not a Brompton. It's a way of getting a full-sized road bike into a smaller case than the standard bike bag - and one which is accepted by the majority of airlines as normal checked luggage. I wouldn't want to assemble/disassemble it every day, but a couple of times a month is fine. Reports suggest that it takes about 15 - 20 minutes each way. I can live with that!

Or 3 hours in Regulator mode...

I'm hopeless with such things.  :-[

I'll be careful to not let you - or Nutty - anywhere near it!! ;D ;D

« Reply #1104 on: 09 February, 2009, 03:48:11 pm »
my new touring bike, peeking out of it's packaging...

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1105 on: 09 February, 2009, 04:11:05 pm »

lustworthy.

How many bikes is that? Mrs. Mike must be very understanding!

« Reply #1106 on: 09 February, 2009, 04:19:38 pm »
Looks gorgeous Mike.

Are you on a NBMRTY? (New Bike a Month Round the Year)?

« Reply #1107 on: 09 February, 2009, 04:34:04 pm »
What is it Mike? Looks attractive. So, when and where are you touring to?!  :P No, I am not jealous...  ::-)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #1108 on: 09 February, 2009, 04:37:44 pm »
Are you on a NBMRTY? (New Bike a Month Round the Year)?

;D  I love a challenge..

How many bikes is that? Mrs. Mike must be very understanding!
um.. 9.  And yes, very!!

« Reply #1109 on: 09 February, 2009, 06:20:29 pm »

Very tasty.

« Reply #1110 on: 09 February, 2009, 09:55:25 pm »

That's a company piccy. I'll add one of mine when I've got all the protective stuff I want to use!

Very nice. Now if that was me, I would see the need for protective as a call to liberate a couple of estate agents' boards and give them a meaningful lease of life.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #1111 on: 12 February, 2009, 11:21:42 am »
Heres the pomp.

Don't ask.

« Reply #1112 on: 12 February, 2009, 11:26:43 am »
they look quite good in black...   

Chris N

« Reply #1113 on: 12 February, 2009, 11:35:06 am »
They'll look nicer in white. :D

Luke, that's the most ridiculous drivetrain I've seen - 32x13!

« Reply #1114 on: 12 February, 2009, 12:14:04 pm »

Cuts down on chain costs.

« Reply #1115 on: 14 February, 2009, 11:42:47 pm »

Singularly nice, that...

alan

« Reply #1116 on: 15 February, 2009, 12:53:40 pm »

one man's meat is another man's poison

« Reply #1117 on: 19 February, 2009, 06:28:26 pm »
My old Record Sprint, winterized commuting bike.

« Reply #1118 on: 19 February, 2009, 06:34:51 pm »
that looks great - is that reflective stuff on the downtube?  good idea..

« Reply #1119 on: 20 February, 2009, 09:41:58 am »
is that reflective stuff on the downtube?

Yes, got from some gadgy off e-bay so I didnt have to buy a 50m roll of the stuff  ;)

« Reply #1120 on: 20 February, 2009, 12:30:05 pm »
Had to dig the bike out of the snow in Sweden this morning.

I was quite pleased I'd put a cover on the B17. Look at the size of the bike next to it (mine is a 58cm singlecross, so not small). I guess he likes a rather more upright position.

And then outside one of the offices, do the Brooks and Carradice give it away as an English bike?

Have to say though, riding in today in the snow I was totally beaten by a young lady wearing normal clothes (no lycra) riding a typical Swedish bike complete with kiddie seat on the rear rack. No way was I keeping up with her in those conditions.

« Reply #1121 on: 20 February, 2009, 01:06:53 pm »
You leave a nice bike like that outside:o  :'(
Profit or planet?

« Reply #1122 on: 20 February, 2009, 08:58:48 pm »
It was bought cheap in the sales last year, with the intention of being a reliable workhorse rather than as best. I enjoyed riding it so much that it ended up staying in the UK too long.
Most of the time it will be at least in a covered bike parking area, the night when it got snowed on was unusual. But I've always had bikes that are ridden and used, rather than kept polished and pristine.

boudinnoirsurvélo

« Reply #1123 on: 23 February, 2009, 09:38:36 am »
Finally finally finally I've got the Puch Prince that was rescued for 30 quid from a police auction back on the road.

Such a solid bike, it was a shame to see it going to ruin. Mel has used it a couple of times in the past to commute, but there were niggles. The only major job initially was to replace a completely knackered front wheel, get some new tyres and new brake calipers. Oh, and a new saddle.

Since then it was clear she wasn't confident at all on the drops, so a straight bar sorted that out, which meant I could use a couple of brake levers that had been lying about, and all of a sudden the brakes worked a charm (the old Weinmann with the top pull bar were like braking with Edam on the rim). A thumbshifter was procured for the 5 speed gears, the downtube shifters again caused too many wobbles for comfort in traffic, so she ended up just riding in the easiest gear, using it as a singlespeed.

And finally just before the weekend I got the mudguards on so it can be used properly in all weathers. It might look odd, but by god it's solid, and easy to ride, and Mel loves it compared to her slick-tyred mountain bike (her commute is more or less flat, so the five gears are perfectly adequate).

As soon as the lightness returns to both ends of the working day this should start seeing action again.

All worthwhile for a smile like this.

And I really had to have a go myself (proving the frame was way to small for me to have ever done anything with it (I'd thought about 'fixing' it).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1124 on: 23 February, 2009, 09:43:37 am »
That's a smile worth fettling for! :)

Well done, Mysterysausage.  I don't think it looks 'odd' at all, though - it's a fairly classic set-up.  And, most important, it's now a bike that's easy for Mel to use, and she feels safer and in control.  Job done.

Getting there...