Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2433113 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #1325 on: 31 March, 2009, 11:04:34 pm »
On the plus side, it's a lot shorter than a Peer Gynt.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1326 on: 31 March, 2009, 11:05:48 pm »
Yes.  That's why I started asking a series of questions I can't afford to complete ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #1327 on: 01 April, 2009, 11:20:35 am »
What's it like to ride?  Looks higher than, say, a Peer Gynt or an Avatar.  You'd be almost in the position of a Bike-E, I think.

Can't compare with those others - but yes it is quite high! Apart from the seat (basically an '80s stacking office chair!) it is quite an easy ride, altho' it took a bit of practice before I ventured on the highway. On the level it moves rather quickly - hills are an effort that is increasingly beyond me.

It's original except that I replaced the rear hub brake (one day the torque arm did an impression of wet spaghetti and locked the rear end solid!) with a caliper mounted on the rear chain stay. And added a second (smaller) chain ring.

Having cleared out some of the bikes that were in front of it in the garage I might take it for a spin....

OR you can save up a paltry 100 notes and spin it yourself!!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

LEE

« Reply #1328 on: 01 April, 2009, 02:56:36 pm »
Whereas this one desperately needs a new, caring, owner if anyone's got a 100 quid to save a classic, veteran, 'bent (first "European" production 'bent I believe!). Less than 500 miles since new, guv!

What's that then?

Are you sure someone hasn't just sawn the handlebars off a Raleigh Chopper?

« Reply #1329 on: 01 April, 2009, 03:59:30 pm »
At the risk of the risque....it'd be a bloody long chopper.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1330 on: 04 April, 2009, 08:27:49 pm »
Just ordered n+1 for use in New York for the next few months :)

Dawes SST (which is short for Supersonic Transport  ::-) )

Review here

« Reply #1331 on: 05 April, 2009, 12:39:42 pm »
My as-finished-as-it'll-ever-be Dawes Synthesis 653XT. It really does "float" along but might be a little less comfy on its spare tarmac-only wheels/tyres!

« Reply #1332 on: 05 April, 2009, 03:53:25 pm »
I'm going to have a bash at TTs this season and my road bike has a comfortably long head tube leaving me about as aero as an outside privy, and planet X had a sale on, so it seemed a good excuse for an N+1 moment:

need to get:
 - pimpy front wheel
 - pointy helmet

& most importantly:
 - about 2 stone lighter and much more flexible, so I can drop the front a bit :)

Will post comical pics of me actually riding the beast when I can, then you can all take the piss.  ::-)

Nice one!  :thumbsup:

Now, get really flat bars, turn the stem upside down and take the bottle cage & saddle bag off!!  ;D
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1333 on: 05 April, 2009, 05:04:37 pm »
Frenchie !! are you sure that you are ok ? Didn't you mean turn it into a fixie :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1334 on: 05 April, 2009, 05:37:02 pm »
Frenchie !! are you sure that you are ok ? Didn't you mean turn it into a fixie :)

Of course Mike can (I do!). After all this frame has track ends...  O:-)

« Reply #1335 on: 05 April, 2009, 07:29:47 pm »

Now, get really flat bars, turn the stem upside down and take the bottle cage & saddle bag off!!  ;D

thanks Frenchie!
Am working on the flexibility thing, and will flip the stem when I can.  The bottle cage might come off when I'm using it in anger, I dont think the saddle bag will make much difference, given the size of my arse.. ;D

And yes, I know this can be Fixed :)

« Reply #1336 on: 05 April, 2009, 10:30:36 pm »

thanks Frenchie!
Am working on the flexibility thing, and will flip the stem when I can.  The bottle cage might come off when I'm using it in anger, I dont think the saddle bag will make much difference, given the size of my arse.. ;D

"Every little helps!"  O:-)

HE forced me to, Mike...

I hope you enjoy the ride! It looks great. I know that TTing, albeit on a much more modest machine than yours, gives me such a buzz and a sensation of speed (not that I am that fast in reality though). I love it! Perfect for the time-pressed gentleman too.

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #1337 on: 06 April, 2009, 09:08:30 am »
thanks Frenchie!

It's not just about flexibility. Try tipping your saddle forwards as much as you can and then check again how low you can go at the front-end. You'll be surprised at the result. Cervelo used to have a good explanation of why this works, but can't find it at the moment.

It's basically to do with rotating your whole body with the pedal axle as the centre of rotation.  Moving your saddle forward will automatically make your front-end lower and therefore your back flatter to the wind, without changing the angle of your pelvis.

annie

« Reply #1338 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:26:24 pm »
Some pics of the new bike.  These were taken in France, just before it was shipped.  I am very excited.

« Reply #1339 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:29:05 pm »
You don't mess about do you? That looks effing serious. I can expect to see you on a few time trials in the Anglian region some time soon then? ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1340 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:35:04 pm »
*drool*

Will it have arrived by Wednesday?!?!?! :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1341 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:41:07 pm »
That looks very very tasty Annie, BUT, if I have to be picky I think the CF join on the top tube would wind me up....

But then again it's only cos I iz jealous, innit? :)

I am guessing it will be built up with top notch components and be ridden lots and lots and lots?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1342 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:42:04 pm »
Update: Have removed a spacer on the steerer for a lower bar position and swapped the 100mm stem for 90mm - I was little overstretched on it and felt too upright on the hoods. Also intstalled a Hope Hed Doctor, which is an improvement on the thing supplied with the Principia headset - holds firmer and gives me more confidence that my assembly efforts won't result in catastrophic failure!

Now please continue to admire Annie's new frame! :P

Completed on Saturday night and ridden for the first time yesterday - my Principia Evolution 2004 (7020 aluminium), with Campag Chorus 2008 groupset, Zonda wheels, Thomson X2 stem, Ritchey white alloy bars and Peloton road pedals, and Michelin Pro Race 3 Ivory tyres. It feels light, stiff and fast - which is just as well as I'm going to be racing on it this year!

« Reply #1343 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:43:51 pm »
Annie, a seriously nice looking frame. Hope you're rear end heals and you can do the bike some justice.

annie

« Reply #1344 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:46:37 pm »
That looks very nice indeed Tokamak :thumbsup:  Very clean, very fast and very YOU. ;)

I think I need to get a bit faster before I even think about doing a TT.

Tiermat, it will be ridden lots and lots and lots but probably not on a very windy day.  

The wheels are on special order from France so until they arrive I won't be riding it at all.  The bars, saddle and tyres are all ready.  The groupset will be...... decided at a later date, I will be borrowing a SRAM to see how I get on with it before I make my final decision.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1345 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:56:41 pm »
Tiermat, it will be ridden lots and lots and lots but probably not on a very windy day.  

Is that to prevent reports of a Pixie being blown, kite like over Suffolk? :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

annie

« Reply #1346 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:57:47 pm »

Is that to prevent reports of a Pixie being blown, kite like over Suffolk? :)

Most certainly is as the frame and forks only weigh in at 950gms.  I may need to add a bit of weight to anchor me down.

« Reply #1347 on: 06 April, 2009, 02:58:39 pm »
Some pics of the new bike.  These were taken in France, just before it was shipped.  I am very excited.
:-*
Very nice!

Clearance for mudguards and how about a rack?  ::-)
:-*

« Reply #1348 on: 06 April, 2009, 03:02:03 pm »

wow!!  Is that an integrated seat post? Looks quite long...

« Reply #1349 on: 06 April, 2009, 03:04:03 pm »
I thought that too, but then guessed that you cut it down as you would a seat post?

[edit] ^^sounds ridiculous the more I think about that, the frame's been made to measure hasn't it?^^