Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2430135 times)

annie

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #275 on: 13 June, 2008, 08:23:44 pm »
Well done Roger, looks beautiful.  Where exactly will you place the jelly people?

« Reply #276 on: 13 June, 2008, 09:16:32 pm »

Ver' nice.  :D

When funds permit i'll be fixing your old Carlton. I'll probably stick a B17 on it too.
Don't ask.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #277 on: 13 June, 2008, 09:21:32 pm »
Well done Roger, looks beautiful.  Where exactly will you place the jelly people?

Jelly people go in rear saddle pack, Marmite sarnies in bar Bag, Tools to persuade it to continue to roll are carriied in various pockets.

Lots still to do, Frame will get a respray when I am happy that all is OK with mechanicals.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #278 on: 13 June, 2008, 10:41:18 pm »
Roger, that's great.  Welcome to the 'Carlton Club' ;)
Getting there...

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #279 on: 14 June, 2008, 06:07:13 pm »
Bzzt- crackle - fzZzt - pop. Muwhahaha - She lives...

No pointy pinky, Miss C  ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #280 on: 14 June, 2008, 06:09:05 pm »
Iddu, do you possess any normal bikes?

;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #281 on: 14 June, 2008, 09:22:38 pm »
Iddu, do you possess any normal bikes?

;)

[sultry]Come up to the shed, and check ze equipment out, big boy..[/sultry]Umm, yes.  ;D
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Chris N

« Reply #282 on: 15 June, 2008, 08:55:32 pm »

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #283 on: 16 June, 2008, 08:45:38 am »
Bzzt- crackle - fzZzt - pop. Muwhahaha - She lives...

No pointy pinky, Miss C  ;)

I guess that is marginally more niche than my fixed Moulton...

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #284 on: 16 June, 2008, 03:29:16 pm »
Late last year I was squeezed into an unfortunate encounter with an immovable object on the road with the result that my heavy duty commuter (Airborne Carpe Diem) suffered a bent frame thus:

After much soul searching, I splashed out on the equivalent new Van Nicholas frame and some more finishing kit to resurrect the beast as an Amazon:

A little history....
My "heavy duty commuter" started life as a Cannondale T800. This died about 3 years ago when I broke its steel forks and dented the frame on a nasty little potholed downhill section on my commute home one dark evening. Parts of this bicycle (drivetrain, wheels, handlebars, stem, rack) were then used to build up a Carpe Diem frame. Now, more bits have been replaced and, of the original T800, only the front wheel remains on the current incarnation, ALL other parts having worn out and been replaced. The front wheel is replaced with a Schmidt Dynohub wheel for the dark winter months....
The brakes are XTR V-Brakes with travel agents which give a nicer feel and less squeak than the cantis I had previously; Many people decry the use of travel agents but I have had no problems - this may be due to using the "best available" parallel action V brakes.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #285 on: 16 June, 2008, 05:00:19 pm »

Certainly looks heavy duty. Nice.

Parts of this bicycle (drivetrain, wheels, handlebars, stem, rack) were then used to  build a Carpe Deum frame.

Um, I'm not sure (Latin o'level: unclassified), but I think this might mean 'sieze the god".

Intentional? I like it, either way ;D
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

pdm

« Reply #286 on: 16 June, 2008, 07:40:21 pm »
Um, I'm not sure (Latin o'level: unclassified), but I think this might mean 'sieze the god".

Ooops. :-[ Sorry - meant to write Carpe Diem which means seize the day! (Have corrected the Deum mistakes)

« Reply #287 on: 16 June, 2008, 07:59:17 pm »
Pieter,
What size is your frame?
The geometry looks very neat.

« Reply #288 on: 16 June, 2008, 08:31:50 pm »

From here it doesn't look rusty. :D
Chris, you will be pleased (or horrified) to know that since the picture was taken I have splashed out on a tin of white hammerite and (some of) the rust has vanished, it now has white chainstays, and a couple more stripes on the barbers pole, I would post an updated photo, but I am sure you can wait until the Skeggy ride....nobody will notice until sunrise.

Ver' nice.  :D

When funds permit i'll be fixing your old Carlton. I'll probably stick a B17 on it too.
Thanks Luke,It would be nice to see the Carlton fixed, are you coming to Skeggy?

pdm

« Reply #289 on: 16 June, 2008, 08:36:08 pm »
GruB,
"58 cm" frame. Cyclocross relaxed geometry with mildly sloping top tube. 12cm stem.
36 spoke 700c wheels (A719 rim on rear Ultegra hub). 633x35 Schwalbe M+ tyres.
Its a very nice bike. Very comfortable with x32 or x35 tyres.
52/39/30 with 12-27 cassette.

« Reply #291 on: 17 June, 2008, 08:53:31 pm »
Late last year I was squeezed into an unfortunate encounter with an immovable object on the road

That must have been one hell of a knock. How did the forks fare, out of morbid interest?

pdm

« Reply #292 on: 17 June, 2008, 08:56:02 pm »
Amazingly, the forks (Carbon Cross forks, aluminium steerer with canti bosses) survived intact. However, I could not bring myself to trust them on the new frame so I got new ones...

« Reply #293 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:00:33 pm »
Amazing.

So much for the strengthening gusset on the down tube.

The Amazon's a great bike, enjoy  :)

Chris N

« Reply #294 on: 18 June, 2008, 08:32:09 am »
The gusset did exactly what it was supposed to do - strengthen the area immediately behind the head tube.  Shame it wasn't a bit longer, eh? ;)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #295 on: 18 June, 2008, 06:47:02 pm »
How to get a new bike, paint your old one :)

Behold Stella Mark Deux ...

Stella had started to rust and I finally had the time and a bit of spare cash. So I took her apart yesterday and washed her down with paint remover then rust remover. Then I gave her 3-4 coats of "Hammerite Hammered Grey Silver" and then 2-3 coats of clear lacquer.

Note to one self and others, if you have the time make sure that each coat get to dry properly before applying the next coat. I ended up with a few runners and some marks in the paint work as it was still soft (but dry to the touch) when I put Stella back together. I had to rush it as Stella is my only ride atm I had to get her ready for tomorrow.

But I'm happy with the job and from what I learned here I think I can make a great job on the other frame I got laying around that need to be fixed up.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #296 on: 18 June, 2008, 06:53:35 pm »
Behold Stella Mark Deux ...

Very nice  :thumbsup:

« Reply #297 on: 18 June, 2008, 07:00:12 pm »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #298 on: 19 June, 2008, 08:34:15 am »

Are those Planet X handlebars that were going for £7.50 a while ago? I've got a set and quite like them.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #299 on: 19 June, 2008, 08:37:30 am »
Are those Planet X handlebars that were going for £7.50 a while ago? I've got a set and quite like them.
Nope they are Profile T2 Wing Aero Base Bar

Wiggle
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit