Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2435362 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #400 on: 11 July, 2008, 11:01:04 pm »
Good grief Luke, where had you ridden that to?

I rode up to Berwick upon Tweed over 4 days last week. The photo was taken at Seahouses shortly before getting there.

Always said the Pompino was a great tourer... Well done Luke. See you tomorrow.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

gordon taylor

« Reply #401 on: 12 July, 2008, 09:56:20 am »
Hi Luke! That's a cool bike.
Great minds think alike etc...

Yep, that's an On-One crankset and whilst the RHS is still intact, all the chrome has peeled off the left crank.

I'm touring on 48 x 19 this year.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #402 on: 13 July, 2008, 06:48:11 pm »
Just in case anyone thought that I don't ride bikes, just collect them

On the Rochdale canal
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #403 on: 14 July, 2008, 09:39:37 am »
If that's the Manchester-Rochdale section (and I think it is ;) ), then watch out - there are faerie hiding places everywhere...

...that and tons of broken glass ::-)
Getting there...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #404 on: 14 July, 2008, 07:21:16 pm »
Clarion. That's Failsworth, that is . . .

The ride home from Manchester, instead of taking 30 mins took over an hour and a half due to the state of the towpath. Taht's the last time I take a 'shortcut' along 'the canal coz it's flatter'. loada bollox!

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #405 on: 15 July, 2008, 04:07:57 pm »
The Puch Prince I got for Mel for thirty quid from a police auction has finally been turned into a commuter.

It started like this:

New saddle, front wheel and pedals were all that was needed. But it just wasn't right. The old brake levers were mince, but riding on the hoods isn't for Mel just yet, and the bars had to be popped up high anyway for her to ride in comfort which looked odd with the drops.

Problem solved. A week ago I stripped my old Dawes to pass the frame on, and stuck the flat bar and brake levers onto the Puch. Added some nice Charge grips. Suddenly it stops and feels much more controllable. I may need to get a stem with more reach as Mel has complained of being a little cramped. It was a bit harder on her wrists than her MTB as well, feeling as though the saddle was pitching her forward, so need to do some other tweaks.

But overall the ride in this morning went well, and it'll be even better when I've got a thumbshifter as she can't use the downtube shifter yet so has basically been riding it as singlespeed. She'd gone right off the look of the MTB, much prefers this, and it's in her favourite colour (which, as we all know, is one of the most important things when it comes to bikes...).

having seen the pics she now wants some better cycling clothes, and is going off helmets (got the Bern in the pics from Cyclechic, which was an improvement, but might be going bareheaded at some point - I can't really argue against it given I commute lidless).

bobajobrob

« Reply #406 on: 15 July, 2008, 04:14:25 pm »
Flat bars :sick:

The drops look pretty good, retro drops are in fashion you know :thumbsup: But if she needs a stem that short with flat bars then the frame is too large,

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #407 on: 15 July, 2008, 04:19:08 pm »
Flat bars :sick:

The drops look pretty good, retro drops are in fashion you know :thumbsup: But if she needs a stem that short with flat bars then the frame is too large,

With drop bars on it simply wasn't going to be ridden and I'd much rather it saw the light of day to be honest.

And...

I may need to get a stem with more reach....

:P

Frame size is about spot on, just need to get it feeling as comfortable as possible.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #408 on: 15 July, 2008, 04:24:41 pm »
Sharp shooting there BP.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #409 on: 15 July, 2008, 04:25:23 pm »
A Puch :) man that brings back memories from when I was a kid plenty of Puch around, and always that green colour too. The lid looks kinda big though could be because it does not have holes.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

bobajobrob

« Reply #410 on: 15 July, 2008, 04:26:28 pm »
Riser bars ftw in that case :thumbsup:

Frame size is about spot on, just need to get it feeling as comfortable as possible.

If the reach is about right with the short stem and high flat bars then the frame is too long. Still, as long as it's comfortable then that's all that matters :thumbsup:

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #411 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:25:16 am »
Riser bars ftw in that case :thumbsup:

If the reach is about right with the short stem and high flat bars then the frame is too long. Still, as long as it's comfortable then that's all that matters :thumbsup:

Going to work on it over the weekend and see if we can find the optimum setup.  :)

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #412 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:28:15 am »
So with the Puch almost there I can get on with the next wee project. Very old (50s?) ladies bike bought off eBay for about £15 I think. Thought it was a big job, but under the grime the bike is in really good nick, and all the chromework has been shining up very nicely. Will get that bit all done by the weekend, so only need to wait on the new grips and pedals (the only new bits needed) to arrive, whack on the basket I bought from Eck, put the chainguard back on and away we go!

(the mudguards need a little more TLC).

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #413 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:35:09 am »
You can tell it's a bird's bike....  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #414 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:47:45 am »
You can tell it's a bird's bike....  ;D

;D

« Reply #415 on: 17 July, 2008, 10:52:55 am »
Dont forget the saddle  :o

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #416 on: 17 July, 2008, 03:39:19 pm »
So with the Puch almost there I can get on with the next wee project <snip> whack on the basket I bought from Eck, put the chainguard back on and away we go!

Chicken in a Basket?  ::-) ;D
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #417 on: 17 July, 2008, 03:41:51 pm »
Chicken in a Basket?  ::-) ;D

That's the next photo planned...  ;D

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #418 on: 20 July, 2008, 01:38:47 pm »
Love the hendlebars.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #419 on: 21 July, 2008, 09:37:37 pm »
 A re-incarnation re-incyclenation of my Graham Weigh frame making use of an Eno hub and some other old parts from the shed  :thumbsup:
 Built it up for a TT bike to try and get a more comfortable position, "yes I know it's not supposed to be comfortable"

The obligatory money shot  :)   also a clicky to my Flickr page

and the whole thing

Edited 23/07/08 to add I just rode a personal best 10 TT at 25 mins 33 secs  :thumbsup:
"Don't stop pedalling"

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #420 on: 22 July, 2008, 08:53:26 am »
Flobba-lobba?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #421 on: 22 July, 2008, 12:27:31 pm »
very nice FWN...

is there a trick to stopping the ENO hub from rotating?  My chain keeps defaulting to 'slightly slack'..

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #422 on: 22 July, 2008, 07:08:13 pm »
 I'll let you know Mike, so far so good.

I did position it so the weight of the bike is pushing it up towards the back in a tension direction, more to do with position against the brakes than forethought  :)
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #423 on: 22 July, 2008, 07:40:35 pm »
Flobba-lobba?

Paul, you'll need to keep Louis away from the keyboard for a few more years.  :)
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #424 on: 22 July, 2008, 10:49:15 pm »
My new piece of carbon loveliness, which allows me to pretend I can ride fast.  :D