Author Topic: Zwift / Smart Trainer Questions  (Read 1799 times)

dim

Zwift / Smart Trainer Questions
« on: 15 May, 2017, 11:25:58 am »
I finally pulled the trigger today, and have ordered a Smart Trainer. I really wanted the Tacx Neo, but ended up buying a Tacx Vortex Smart from Wiggle instead. If all goes well, I will sell it after a few months, after I save up some more, and get the Tacx Neo or Wahoo Kickr or similar.

It will be connected to Zwift, and I have a few questions. Both my son and I will be using Zwift, and we will be using 2 different bikes. We will each have our own Zwift account, so that we can connect to Strava (we both have premium Strava)

How easy is it to switch bikes and profiles on the system, and do we have to callibrate the bikes every time we want to use the smart trainer? .... any other advice will be appreciated (I'm a noob when it comes to high tech gadgets)  :-[
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Re: Zwift / Smart Trainer Questions
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2017, 11:27:49 am »
You clearly need to buy two Neo's so you can race side by side - cheapskate....

:)

Answer is I'm not sure, but I suspect that provided you have your own Zwift accounts all will be well.

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2017, 01:07:29 pm »
This might get more replies in the training sub board.

so long as you both have your own Zwift accounts I do not think you will have problems with the sensors or software.  You may have problems with setting the pressure of the wheel every time. So you will need an easily accessible pump to get a constant pressure.

If you and your son are similar height could you buy a cheap steel frame and put it on the turbo, even if you have to adjust the saddle?  This would be much easier than changing bikes.

I find that turbo usage is about making it easy to use with no temptation to not use it.  But then I accept that I lack moral fibre!

dim

« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2017, 08:34:32 pm »
This might get more replies in the training sub board.

so long as you both have your own Zwift accounts I do not think you will have problems with the sensors or software.  You may have problems with setting the pressure of the wheel every time. So you will need an easily accessible pump to get a constant pressure.

If you and your son are similar height could you buy a cheap steel frame and put it on the turbo, even if you have to adjust the saddle?  This would be much easier than changing bikes.

I find that turbo usage is about making it easy to use with no temptation to not use it.  But then I accept that I lack moral fibre!

thay was my suggestion .... get a cheapish bike for Zwift (even if it's a Halfords Carrera), add a decent saddle, and mark the post with tape for both riders ao it's easy to set up... and add a decent saddle such as a Brooks C17 Cambium carved (we both get on with this saddle)

My son said that it would be a hassle to set up the saddle everytime (he is a bit taller than me and has a longer torso, so his saddle is set back further. I then said no problem, we can get 2 saddle posts with 2 saddles that we can use on the one bike

My son is adamant that he wants to use his best bike for Zwift (Canyon Endurace), and I will not ride his bike, as I don't want to  .... I don't want to use my Giant TCR on the trainer and would prefer a cheaper bike that we could all use (including my daughter and my wife)

I am not too knoweleagble about Zwift and the smart trainer, hence my thread,  but from what I understand, if we use different bikes, we have to callibrate the unit everytime which will be a hassle

so..... the arguments have already started and we have not even got the flipping trainer yet!  ::-)

I'm on the verge of telling my son that he can have the trainer for himself and when I've saved up enough, I will get my own :hand:

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2017, 08:46:15 pm »

My son is adamant that he wants to use his best bike for Zwift (Canyon Endurace), and I will not ride his bike, as I don't want to  .... I don't want to use my Giant TCR on the trainer and would prefer a cheaper bike that we could all use (including my daughter and my wife)

I am not too knoweleagble about Zwift and the smart trainer, hence my thread,  but from what I understand, if we use different bikes, we have to callibrate the unit everytime which will be a hassle

He may change his mind when he sees how much sweat drips onto it ... make sure he knows that sweat is corrosive.

Not certain about the non-motorised trainers (mine has downhill simulation, which seemed a good idea at the time) but I find calibrating each time is advisable anyhow, temperature etc vary the tyre pressure. The Tacx phone app is the best to use, it shows if the adjustment is too tight or loose, you don't have to log in to use it (I would recommend not, the Tacxs software sucks big time). That way you get accurate power and control.

Another useful thing is a training tyre, another argument for having one bike on the machine all the time, alternatively swapping a wheel.

« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2017, 09:38:35 pm »
We have his and hers trainers for when I need to train in position- his is Smart, mine is not. Otherwise we both use his and I move the saddle. Swapping bikes would be a huge PITA. We have a (nasty) Carrera I'd never ride on the road on the trainer. It's just for sweating on.