Author Topic: Buidling muscle mass  (Read 3829 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Buidling muscle mass
« on: 09 June, 2017, 10:46:08 am »
I am getting into my fifties. After losing a bit of weight over the last couple of years, I think I have also lost a bit of muscle. I can't see to climb up hills with power or get of the saddle and honk!

I am thinking of having a protein shake in addition to just cycling and yoga.

Is the real answer using the gym?

Re: Buidling muscle mass
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2017, 11:13:45 am »
Is the real answer using the gym?
yes
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2017, 11:14:47 am »
Yes, the gym and similar activities.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2017, 11:19:51 am »
Unless you have an unusual diet, or have some sort of health issue, a lack of protein is unlikely to be the issue.
The gym (or other strength related training - doesn't need to be gym based) will help regain/retail muscle mass. Sadly there's no easy fix. :(

velosam

« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2017, 12:11:53 pm »
cheers,  I will need to find something else as I hate going to the gym

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2017, 12:43:07 pm »
As the others have implied, you need strength and resistance training.
You can go to the gym (or not cos you don't like it) set up your own gym at home, work as a porter, gardener or bricklayer or watch videos of suitable exercises and do them...

simonp

« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2017, 12:49:00 pm »
You can do body weight exercises that cover much of what you can do at the gym.

Muscle mass tends to decline particularly after 50 but you can stop or reverse this. Better progress is generally made with free weights than with resistance machines.

https://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-build-muscle-40s/

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2017, 01:21:15 pm »
ISTR SimonP, someone who looked a lot like you, dropping to the floor for some push-ups when we were 200km or so into the MSG300, remember?  :D

Building resistance work into the day is actually surprisingly easy; enough time for a couple of sets of squats waiting for the kettle to boil, for example.

velosam

« Reply #8 on: 09 June, 2017, 03:23:58 pm »
You can do body weight exercises that cover much of what you can do at the gym.

Muscle mass tends to decline particularly after 50 but you can stop or reverse this. Better progress is generally made with free weights than with resistance machines.

https://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-build-muscle-40s/

cheers. I think I could be more focussed, I just don't enjoy it and harder to fit in the day, but like someone mentioned I could just fit some press ups or squats in (although my right knee seems buggered) while waiting for the kettle to boil!!

« Reply #9 on: 09 June, 2017, 11:02:01 pm »
Sprint/Climbing intervals will help too. Keep them short. Even a single Tabata-interval can do wonders (20sec on, 10 sec off x 8)

simonp

« Reply #10 on: 10 June, 2017, 12:00:07 am »
ISTR SimonP, someone who looked a lot like you, dropping to the floor for some push-ups when we were 200km or so into the MSG300, remember?  :D

Building resistance work into the day is actually surprisingly easy; enough time for a couple of sets of squats waiting for the kettle to boil, for example.

Was that back when everyone was doing the 100 push-ups challenge?

I've been using barbell at the gym a lot. I think it is more effective to increase the load rather than the reps. I am starting again after a break recently so progress is rapid (muscles remember being stronger and will respond more quickly when returning). People new to lifting will also make good progress most of the time "newbie gains".

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #11 on: 10 June, 2017, 12:29:26 am »
Depends on whether you want to build muscle mass, or actually get stronger...
Or for cycling, maybe more relevant is your strength to weight ratio.

« Reply #12 on: 10 June, 2017, 09:48:18 am »
Just don't do what I did and misread the weight lifting program your following.

If you try adding 15kg per session rather than the specified 15lb it gets very difficult very quickly.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

simonp

« Reply #13 on: 10 June, 2017, 03:31:08 pm »
 :facepalm:

I have a simple system to follow i.e. work in a range (5-7 reps). When I start to exceed that add 5kg to the bar next time. 2.5kg on dumbbells. Smaller steps if working with small weights also.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #14 on: 13 June, 2017, 08:54:46 am »
Do check out kettlebells for all over workout:  http://www.bestkettlebellworkout.com/KBbasics101.pdf

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #15 on: 13 June, 2017, 05:27:50 pm »
I'm in my seventies, and recognise this problem. Following the advice above would undoubtedly help . . . as long as you can tolerate gyms/pumping iron etc., which doesn't appeal much to me. I try to ride in the hills regularly, which is specifically helpful for cycling, of course, increasing intensity and resistance. 

Depends where you live. Pretty hilly round here (W.Yorks), and I'm spending next week in the N.York Moors. Will only be cycling for an hour or two most days, but wrestling my way up one 20 percenter after another should do something for my hill-climbing. Not sure whether it will increase muscle-mass, but the likes of Froome etc seem to manage OK without it ;)

velosam

« Reply #16 on: 14 June, 2017, 02:31:59 pm »
I can't stand gyms so am going to have to devise some home remedies.  The aim is to have more power but also to better manage weight.  My understanding being that muscle helps burn fat.

At the moment I just do some press ups and only ride on the commute, and simply don't have the will to do the intervals.

simonp

« Reply #17 on: 14 June, 2017, 03:29:12 pm »
More muscle mass => higher resting metabolic rate and more energy burned to move around. Also lower risk of early death.

velosam

« Reply #18 on: 14 June, 2017, 03:42:20 pm »
I have just looked at kettle bells and it's something I can do at home with YouTube, so that's where to start I think.  However I am not clear what weight to start with, any recommendations?

Thanks

« Reply #19 on: 14 June, 2017, 06:33:43 pm »
10kg. Any less and you'll be buying new in a month.
Get a pair, but start with single bell exercises and build up to 2.

velosam

« Reply #20 on: 15 June, 2017, 07:21:19 pm »
10kg. Any less and you'll be buying new in a month.
Get a pair, but start with single bell exercises and build up to 2.

Thanks

« Reply #21 on: 28 June, 2017, 10:11:12 am »
I have been doing a home-based bodyweight programme for about 4 months now and have really seen an improvement in my cycling. These include a variety of full-body exercises, focussing on core and lower-body -

- plank
- alekna
- split-squat
- squat
- single leg squat
- single leg calf raises

To name a few. Find them particularly before going out riding.