Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo 24-25 July 2010  (Read 160351 times)

Re: Dunwich Dynamo 24-25 July 2010
« Reply #750 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:09:10 am »
The 'Oakys' share beans.

The fabulous Feline (how did she manage to keep her kit and bike so clean?)

Pike Tandem ale celebration.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #751 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:12:22 am »

That's all  :smug:

Nighty Night  O:-)

« Reply #752 on: 26 July, 2010, 07:36:05 am »
A wonerful ride, the longest I've done this year and Wst time Ibve done more that 10 miles since June.  I was Slowest of the Slow, and after feeling a bit wierd at Needham market (eyes shutting when riding) was last man in to Camp Annie, luckily there was tons off food left!    An entertaining night with Tim, kathy and apprentice pyromainiacs, I was so tires I just watched.  Currently a lowely sunny day on the beach.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #753 on: 26 July, 2010, 09:10:16 am »
can't recall which pub this was - i recall the dog man was here.

can't believe how many pubs were still open and more importantly how many i didn't stop to drink in.

A shitter and a giggler.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #754 on: 26 July, 2010, 09:18:09 am »
So glad I threw my kit together at the last minute and decided I was well enough after all on Saturday afternoon.  Really good to see loads of familiar faces at the start.  "Team not so slow and not too fast either" were fine company- we had a few fine chuckles together and there were a few times when I felt really rough when I felt I was being discreetly and unobtrusively but very well looked after.  Thanks so much, Jurek, Pippa, Inge and Domingo.
And Annie- what a welcome!  Behind a table that could barely support the feast laid out on it, the beautiful lady herself.  A few more fine chuckles and not a few mouthfuls of fine food (great couscous Annie) later, Andrij and I availed ourselves of the train tickets from Diss which Jurek and Pippa no longer needed, and left.  We should probably have left about half an hour earlier. I blame the company, too entertaining- why can't you be normal, boring people?  Then we wouldn't have had to push our poor, already tired legs beyond what they were meant to do after 115 miles and no sleep.  Due to getting lost at the beginning despite Jurek's very clear map, we ended up having to ride 30 miles, possibly more) in not much more than  two hours by the time we got properly underway. Without Andrij  setting the pace so well I don't think we would have made it.  As it was I staggered onto the platform behind him with just under a minute left.  Thanks Andrij.
This  Dun Run is definitely  in the top two now due in no small part to you lot!  Equal first with the one with a massive full moon, lots of bats, wildlife and a not quite halfway champagne party (but that's another story).

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #755 on: 26 July, 2010, 09:21:45 am »

We saw them arrive.  An amazing sight.  The dog looked as fresh as a daisy.

If someone had carried me there in a box on the front of their bike, I think I could have arrived looking fresh as a daisy, too (sparkling clean as well.)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #756 on: 26 July, 2010, 09:46:16 am »
Another couple of things I forgot:

We saw Sam Walker several times, beginning at Castle Hedingham.  No words were exchanged, I'm afraid, but he was going well.

And Annie and Mr A used to work with my father, it turns out.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

« Reply #757 on: 26 July, 2010, 09:52:07 am »
Barry Mason's blog post mentions yacf.

1,350 riders, he reckons.

« Reply #758 on: 26 July, 2010, 09:58:17 am »
1,350 riders, he reckons.

In the time I've been doing the rides, I've never seen as many on the beach as I did yesterday.

rogerzilla

« Reply #759 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:13:36 am »
I kept saying to mike, "I've never seen so many riders on the road at this point".

In 2007 Team Speed left at 8pm and by Epping we were undoubtedly first on the road; it was clear all the way.  This year we saw an aged CTC trio at Wethersfield who, judging from their speed, must have started at teatime.

« Reply #760 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:21:17 am »
Chatting outside the Flora cafe, Barry thought my comment of 'not as many as last year' was controversial. There definately wasn't as big a queue for breakfast - maybe a consequence of the bacon buttie stop/Annies YACF stall/better cafe service/more people taking food with them.

I think last years topped 1500 - only half the riders I talked to at the end had breakfast at the cafe.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #761 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:22:46 am »
In the park, my completely non-scientific assessment was that the crowd was similar to, or slightly less than, last year. 
Getting there...

rogerzilla

« Reply #762 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:31:22 am »
I thought it looked about the same at the start BUT there were definitely more on the road.  Earlier departures, I think.

Mike and I agreed that the unofficial feeding station is something that Barry should encourage; the halfway stop and the Flora Cafe are beyond saturated, and there's easy money to be made if you have a well-detached house on the route.  If you have neighbours who are light sleepers it wouldn't work so well  ;)

« Reply #763 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:34:46 am »

Mike and I agreed that the unofficial feeding station is something that Barry should encourage; the halfway stop and the Flora Cafe are beyond saturated, and there's easy money to be made if you have a well-detached house on the route.  If you have neighbours who are light sleepers it wouldn't work so well  ;)

The Chap that set up the bacon buttie stop, had done the ride 3 times before and had left London Fields to ride home at 8 that night. His neighbours were on holiday, and the ones the other side were excited and keen to come and help if needed. - I was among a group he came and chatted to.

Martin

« Reply #764 on: 26 July, 2010, 10:39:00 am »
The Sible Hedingham control was a bit chaotic becuase there was one bloke doing teas coffees and bananas and running out all the time and having to go back himslef and boil water, and then a melee to get soup and rolls so you ended up having to queue for both.

self service with a till at the end would have been quicker as the hall was pretty big.

but having said that I queued for 45 mins and by the time I got out there was no queue so I may just have arrived at rush hour (0130)

my mates completely missed it and I caught them up in Great Waldingfield and I don't think they were the only ones

« Reply #765 on: 26 July, 2010, 11:11:09 am »
my mates completely missed it and I caught them up in Great Waldingfield and I don't think they were the only ones

I think a LOT of people missed it for one reason or another.  I was the first there but overtook many people in the 20 miles afterwards that had obviously not stopped.  Several asked me where the food stop was! 

I hope enough people found/used it to cover their costs.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #766 on: 26 July, 2010, 11:13:13 am »
mrs_o and I had a fantastic time.

I bumped into clarion, Butterfly and TGL at Liverpool St. who were waiting for wowbagger and CrinklyLion.  I nipped off to complete my shopping (Jelly Beans and wine at M&S, pasties from the Pasty Shop).  

We (mrs_o, our friend Andy from Witham and myself) set off for Hackney, a bit before wow arrived, since mrs_o had never ridden in London traffic before so I thought we'd better build in the possibility of stopping / re-routing if necessary (and she wanted to get it over with ASAP).

We milled around with an increasing bunch of yacfers in the usual corner.  Drinks were had, hands were shaken, acquaintances made (and re-made).   It was nice to see Andrij and coll_coll at the start, who I'd ridden so much of the middle/latter part of last year's ride with.  (Once on the road, the sound of coll_coll's freewheel brought it all back!).

I also spotted James Bowthorpe (chap who broke Mark Beaumont's round the world record) complete with belt-drive Santos bike, just next to the Pub.

We set off with Team Slow at some time after 8:30, after a couple of drinks to fine-tune the pre-ride carbo-loading regime.   The group strung out a bit through the outskirts of London, but re-grouped at the 24hr garage @ 12 miles.  mrs_o and I decided to set off a bit ahead since we definitely wanted to reach the pub in Moreton with time for a drink before last orders.

We got there in good time and were supping when we saw most of Team Slow (and the guy with the dog) ride through (I cheered wow+CrinklyLion through with a cry of "Go Team Slow!!!").  I didn't realise for some time that Team Slow had all stopped a few yards down the road.  I stopped for a quick chat on our way out of Moreton.  We went on ahead, on the grounds that we expected to be Team Stopping A Lot, and so would probably get swept up by the Team Slow peloton at some point later.

mrs_o and I separated from our friend Andy, somewhere between there and Finchingfield.  We had come laden with picnic options (well one of us was laden!) and decided that at the top of the hill in Finchingfield would be a good spot to stop.  We sat under a tree on a bench just outside the Three Tuns (which was shut, but the pub in the centre of Finchingfield was open when we went past - I don't remember that from last year) and enjoyed the first instalment of our picnic watching the stream of riders going past.

From here on, we passed an increasing number of navigationally challenged souls, who we put right whenever possible.  We stopped at the village hall to refill bottles and have a loo stop, where I bumped into Martin, also resplendent in his KOTM jersey - that was, I think the 5th I'd seen that night - Myself, Feline, rogerzilla, darkpoint, Martin).  We didn't partake of the food there, but it did seem that the queue was less daunting than last year's (although I got the impression there were more people at the halfway stop this year, catching 40 winks on the grass all around).

Several Essex and Suffolk village residents had stayed up with drinks and deckchairs to cheer us on again this year.  :thumbsup:

At some point, we spotted man+dog both asleep on/under a park bench.

Also, some enterprising soul has, I see, cottoned on to the marketing opportunity this year - a sign appeared "Dun Run - Bacon Rolls 2 miles ->".  They seemed to do a fair old trade too.  Pity that the twit who decided to stop in front of us to have one decided it was important enough that he had to stop at the point of the road most narrowed by people already stopped, completely blocking the way through and slowly faffing in the middle of the road for his money, totally oblivious to the others wanting to ride on through.

We managed two more picnics en-route too, one at ~91 miles the other I don't recall.

We arrived at Dunwich at around 08:15 to find the most superb sight.  The wonderful pixieannie had set up a base-camp of epicurean delights.  There's a serious danger that the write-up of the food and welcome at the finish might end up longer than the write up of the rest of the ride.

The moment we arrived, a flame-haired pixie started running around, offering drinks (tea, coffee juice, water, alcohol,....) breakfast (bacon rolls and beans  - yum :)), seats, blankets and indicating the table of delights to nom in the meantime.  the olive foccaccia was absolutely wonderful.  Cashew nuts hit the spot too (I'd lost a little salt and protein travelling through the matter transference beam).

Already there were RichForrest (reclined on a blanket), Andrij (sitting under one) and one chap whose forum name I forgot to get.  Several others arrived to the same welcoming flurry of pixie activity and food production.

Some fantastic pictures upthread -- I'll upload mine later and edit this for a few links.  I even got a couple of pics of the chap+dog arriving at Dunwich.

I'm very impressed with mrs_o, who managed it superbly.  That was the first time she'd been more than ~56 miles (and at a rolling pace a bit higher than she'd done that too - I think we managed a moving average of around 12.5 mph in the end).  I did get curse a bit on a few of the hills towards the end (although mrs_o stated somewhat embarrassedly that she was in her granny ring, she was still overtaking blokes on road bikes up the hills).  ;D :thumbsup:
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #767 on: 26 July, 2010, 11:16:13 am »
I forgot the quote of the night, from the taciturn but friendly Lotum, when asked if he'd done the Dun Run before:

'No.  I've just done LEL.'
Getting there...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #768 on: 26 July, 2010, 11:16:37 am »

I think a LOT of people missed it for one reason or another.  I was the first there but overtook many people in the 20 miles afterwards that had obviously not stopped.  Several asked me where the food stop was! 

I hope enough people found/used it to cover their costs.

I just followed the route sheet, and found it OK, but there were a few lost souls with us asking things like "is this definitely the way to the food?" etc.  I've done a few Audax rides though, so am used to following route sheet type instructions.

There was one chap we say after we'd left the stop and were back on the route who helpfully  asked if we'd overshot it and pointed us back towards it just in case.  He'd already been there (but if he was back on the road again, then he was heading in the wrong direction!).

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

rogerzilla

« Reply #769 on: 26 July, 2010, 11:37:37 am »
Two people we spoke with had missed it.  One asked, somewhere after Little Waldingfield, where he could get water between there and Dunwich.  Nowhere, we said, although he could have been saved by the freelance pit stop.

Another asked on the road how far it was to the feed stop.  25 miles ago, we said.

I think people missed it for two reasons: it was changed from GW only four days beforehand, and also it was off the normal route by half a mile.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #770 on: 26 July, 2010, 11:51:51 am »
Some great pics :)

Especially huge well done to Feline and Mrs O (who were both expressing slight concern about whether this was a really_stupid_idea at the start) - that's a heck of a way to do your first century, and you both look disgustingly fresh and fit to go at the end :)

I feel surprisingly chipper after a good night's sleep.  A few aches and pains, but I could quite cheerfully head out for a bike ride if it weren't Monday and therefore my no-cycling day.  The sunburn, which happened on the way to the railway station and whilst waiting for trains, is extremely impressive and somewhat painful though.  A few majorly uncomfortable episodes of cramp in my left foot, contributed a bit to the tandem's slowness - we had to stop several times in the last 30-ish, including a last stop less than half a mile from the end, for me to take my shoes off and jump up and down at the side of the road shouting 'bugger bugger bugger that hurts!'.  And I think I might need a membership card for the Team Slow slightly dodgy knee club - it started to twinge a bit in the last thirty or so miles and got steadily more uncomfortable all the way to the end.  Hopefully a couple off days of the bike will see it right before next weekend's rides.  

The Selle Italia, as recommended by the bottoms of various YACF ladies, did the job OK.  Which is to say that I was rather glad to arrive at the beach and get off, but I don't think a different saddle would have much improved that - especially when you consider that it took us about 14 hours (including plenty of stops, so I don't know what the riding time was) to get there.  That amount of time, combined with me being a heffalump so plenty of weight on said saddle, a completely different and unfamiliar bike setup (we did a bit of fit-tweaking along the way, but maybe I should have paid more attention to this in the early bit of the ride when I was a bit more awake to see if I could get it more right), a very warm night, a more upright riding position than I'm used to and the fact that on the tandem shifting position around and getting up out of the saddle is a bit more complex that on the solo, meant that it was always likely that it would get a bit uncomfortable at some time.  The idea of getting back on and riding back to the station a couple of hours later didn't make me cry, so I think that counts as a Selle Italia win!

Clipless was absolutely the right way to go - at 4 am I can guarantee I would have lost pedals on some of the descents and won myself some corking bruises, so thanks to those experienced stokers who encouraged me to try.  I suspect that slightly out cleat positioning may have contributed a bit to the knee/cramp issues, but that's what happens when you do the Dun Run as a shakedown ride :)

I was right that the back of the tandem was the way to do this ride for me.  On the solo I don't think I'd have made it to Hackney as I probably would have turned tail and run for the train home once I saw the London traffic.  So an gigantic thank you to Wowbagger for towing me along so remarkably cheerfully - as I said on the way to the train that's probably the hardest ride I've done in terms of the physical challenge but it certainly didn't feel like that hardest.  And CrinklyCub is very impressed that we cleared 40 mph on some of the downhills :)

And give Mrs Wow a big fat  :-* from me, to say thank you for lending me her stoker seat and her husband for the night!

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #771 on: 26 July, 2010, 11:54:50 am »
Rich and another 'bent rider', chatting in the early hours

That's me, uninvited. Thanks for the warm welcome though.

« Reply #772 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:06:42 pm »
Some great photos! Lots of familiar faces. Shame I couldn't do it this year  :'(
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #773 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:15:12 pm »
It isn't going to happen for me this year, I'm afraid. I'm utterly exhausted just getting everything ready - I doubt I'd even get to Epping. But, as I've got the end of next week off, the idea of popping my tent on the back of the bike and heading off for a gentle few days riding certainly does appeal, especially now I've got everything ready.

Have a good ride people.

I feel for you but you're wise not to put yourself through it. Getting the system as fully recovered as possible before throwing further insults at it is the key I think. It could get very boring indeed for you but you have to concentrate on the long view.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #774 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:22:36 pm »
Woolly and I just saw them off from London Fields. Much cake was consumed (CL is a genius). Everyone was in high spirits. I hope you have wonderful rides! We're now nomming pancakes and milkshakes... :)

The chocolate covered coffee beans adorning the chocolate cake were a master stroke. Deliciosity, stimulousness and tummy filling in one nommy package. Thanks so much, Crinkly.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark