Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo 24-25 July 2010  (Read 160345 times)

Re: Dunwich Dynamo 24-25 July 2010
« Reply #775 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:24:15 pm »
Crinkly, Feline and Mrs Oaky - serious respect on your first centuries!  8)

Crinkly - if you have an avocado handy I find slathering its flesh on my, er, flesh great for sunburn, believe it or not!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #776 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:28:16 pm »
dkahn400 - proof that the drugs DO work  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #777 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:40:10 pm »
It's becoming a trend this carrying a tent to the beach malarkey, it is soooo last year :)

I lugged camping gear (hammock and tarp rather than tent) all the way there and all the way home again without using it. On the way home I was very tempted to spend the night in Epping Forest. It was a bail-out option but tired though I was I managed to resist.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #778 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:43:33 pm »
Woolly and I just saw them off from London Fields. Much cake was consumed (CL is a genius). Everyone was in high spirits. I hope you have wonderful rides! We're now nomming pancakes and milkshakes... :)

The chocolate covered coffee beans adorning the chocolate cake were a master stroke. Deliciosity, stimulousness and tummy filling in one nommy package. Thanks so much, Crinkly.

That cake was brilliant!  Incredibly tasty and rocket fuel to boot.  Top marks from the mid-Essex judge.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #779 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:50:51 pm »
Woolly and I just saw them off from London Fields. Much cake was consumed (CL is a genius). Everyone was in high spirits. I hope you have wonderful rides! We're now nomming pancakes and milkshakes... :)

The chocolate covered coffee beans adorning the chocolate cake were a master stroke. Deliciosity, stimulousness and tummy filling in one nommy package. Thanks so much, Crinkly.

That cake was brilliant!  Incredibly tasty and rocket fuel to boot.  Top marks from the mid-Essex judge.

I was quite pleased with it.  Definitely a recipe to save and use again :)

Now, children, are you paying attention?

This

is why you don't foget to put the suncream on  ::-)

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #780 on: 26 July, 2010, 12:53:14 pm »
Rich and another 'bent rider', chatting in the early hours

That's me, uninvited. Thanks for the warm welcome though.

You were most welcome

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #781 on: 26 July, 2010, 01:03:04 pm »
I left home at 13.00 on Sat for a 300km ride out thinking that at my usual speeds I'd get there at about 4am
I went a bit faster than usual and averaged 30.1kph getting there at 1.40 and a completely empty carpark and beach.
I sat outside until the cafe owner got there at 2.50. Thankfully opening up as I was starting to shiver outside.
Toontra was the first rider to arrive and looked a bit surprised that someone had got there before him  ;D
I did tell him I cycled a different way and he was the first.
Annie then arrived and started the food prep'. The food was excellent  :thumbsup: :-*

Throughout the morning more and more people arrived, I had a sleep and left for home at 13.00
The ride back was a lot harder due to tired legs, a headwind and the heat and rolling hills all the way to Brandon.
Another almost dive into a ditch due to sand on a cornerand flint covered lanes causing a slow puncture just before Thetford allowed me to sleep for 45mins before fixing it.

The headwind lasted for about 180km and dropped my speed 10/15kph from the outward journey. I got home in the end at 01.00

Good to meet up with people on here I've not had the pleasure to meet before  :thumbsup:
And good to meet again with those I have  ;D

P.S. Those pics make me look huge  :o

CrinklyLion

« Reply #782 on: 26 July, 2010, 01:14:24 pm »
P.S. Those pics make me look huge  :o

Serves you right for being about 9 foot tall  :P

Actually, I thought you were looking skinnier than at Easter - is that not the case?

« Reply #783 on: 26 July, 2010, 01:25:39 pm »
Great shots; nice to see "everyone". Must manage to do it again soon.  :-[

PS That back looks very, very poorly. Ouch!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

CrinklyLion

« Reply #784 on: 26 July, 2010, 01:31:49 pm »

Back, shoulders, upper arms, and a fair bit of chest and cleavage are all pillar box red - and it was from less than an hour on the bike plus a bit of standing around on platforms waiting for trains.  A photograph of my back seemed the least inappropriate one to post!

« Reply #785 on: 26 July, 2010, 01:33:43 pm »

Back, shoulders, upper arms, and a fair bit of chest and cleavage are all pillar box red - and it was from less than an hour on the bike plus a bit of standing around on platforms waiting for trains.  A photograph of my back seemed the least inappropriate one to post!

Take care of it; may want to see a pharmacist for some lotion to apply.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #786 on: 26 July, 2010, 01:44:03 pm »
Yes it is thanks, I'm down to about 15.5 stone now  ;D

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #787 on: 26 July, 2010, 01:47:25 pm »
I need a 'green with envy' smiley. Dun Run is DEFINITELY on the list for next year. It sounds like such a good time!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

CrinklyLion

« Reply #788 on: 26 July, 2010, 01:53:37 pm »

Snap - last time I weighed myself a few weeks back, so it might be less now.  Although I, of course, am definitely not 9 feet tall!

Morrissette - it was a great thing to do, and if I can make it to the end I'm very sure that you'd have no problem :)  I have to confess to feeling rather jealous of the happy campers who were staying as I left, as I'm sure they'll have a great time.  But I'm already in trouble for having disappeared for the entire weekend, and the train home today would have been prohibitively expensive too.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #789 on: 26 July, 2010, 01:58:56 pm »
some photos are at Picasa, lightly captioned.  I'll link some inline to my ride report up thread later on.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #790 on: 26 July, 2010, 02:25:18 pm »

And the lady standing at the side of the road not far after the pub in Moreton making some kind of very quiet protest, I suspect about cycling – all I heard was “shouldn’t be allowed, clear off”.

But we were clearing off - to the seaside.  ;D

The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

rogerzilla

« Reply #791 on: 26 July, 2010, 03:10:38 pm »
That's why I didn't imemdiately recognise you - you're noticeably lighter than in that squeezing-into-a-black-YACF-jersey photo.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #792 on: 26 July, 2010, 03:19:23 pm »

And the lady standing at the side of the road not far after the pub in Moreton making some kind of very quiet protest, I suspect about cycling – all I heard was “shouldn’t be allowed, clear off”.

But we were clearing off - to the seaside.  ;D

Indeed  :facepalm: Unfortunately, what she was saying didn't register until a few moment later (I thought she was saying "clean up") otherwise I would have been happy to point out that we were, in fact, leaving.

« Reply #793 on: 26 July, 2010, 03:48:00 pm »
The Sible Hedingham control was a bit chaotic becuase there was one bloke doing teas coffees and bananas and running out all the time and having to go back himslef and boil water, and then a melee to get soup and rolls so you ended up having to queue for both.

self service with a till at the end would have been quicker as the hall was pretty big.

but having said that I queued for 45 mins and by the time I got out there was no queue so I may just have arrived at rush hour (0130)

my mates completely missed it and I caught them up in Great Waldingfield and I don't think they were the only ones

I got through it fairly quickly, maybe 10 minutes between walking in the door and sitting down with my soup and my hummus and salad sandwich. It was mobbed with Dulwich Paragon riders.

« Reply #794 on: 26 July, 2010, 04:00:19 pm »

So an gigantic thank you to Wowbagger for towing me along so remarkably cheerfully -

I'm pretty sure you did your share of the work, if not the CrinklyLion's share.  I certainly didn't hear any complaints from the captain.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #795 on: 26 July, 2010, 04:02:46 pm »
some photos are at Picasa, lightly captioned.  I'll link some inline to my ride report up thread later on.

Huh!  You took the kiddie seat off the back of Mrs O's bike!  Next year do it with the seat full of sleeping kid, it would make a dog and a dinghy look a bit tame  :thumbsup:

« Reply #796 on: 26 July, 2010, 04:06:18 pm »

Ouchity, ouch. Wearing a proper cycling top in the sun is not a bad idea either.

« Reply #797 on: 26 July, 2010, 04:06:44 pm »
....my hummus and salad sandwich.

A hummus (sic) and salad sandwich?!!! Not exactly cycling food!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

rogerzilla

« Reply #798 on: 26 July, 2010, 04:10:03 pm »

Yebbut bobb cycling food is Stella at the start, Stella on the bike and Stella at the finish.

« Reply #799 on: 26 July, 2010, 04:13:47 pm »

Didn't seem to do me any harm. I think you'll find that hummus  is a legitimate spelling BTW.