Author Topic: Vista HCx or Etrex 30/20 - which one wrt firmware/functionality?  (Read 5709 times)

Re: Vista HCx or Etrex 30/20 - which one wrt firmware/functionality?
« Reply #25 on: 09 November, 2013, 09:12:55 pm »
Perfect, sorted, much appreciated. Thanks.

« Reply #26 on: 09 November, 2013, 10:13:19 pm »
Thereafter to switch the light on just dab the front button (taking care not to do a mini-scroll in the process, as this 'freezes' the map and can cause much angst).

This sounds worrying .. it's easy to get that wrong on the HCx, but also easy to get out of.
Sounds like it's more of a problem on the E30/E20 ?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 09 November, 2013, 10:17:55 pm »
Thereafter to switch the light on just dab the front button (taking care not to do a mini-scroll in the process, as this 'freezes' the map and can cause much angst).

This sounds worrying .. it's easy to get that wrong on the HCx, but also easy to get out of.
Sounds like it's more of a problem on the E30/E20 ?

No, exactly the same.  You press the 'back' button once.  It's only a problem if you're not paying attention to the data fields being replaced with the pointer coordinate display.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #28 on: 11 November, 2013, 09:01:52 am »
Indeed.  I only mentioned it because the frozen map is one of the most common 'my GPS is broken' topics.
As I recall (I don't have an E30 to hand) the E30 buttons are generally a bit stiffer than the HCx ones, and the front one much chunkier, so it's probably less of a problem on the new models than it was on the old.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #29 on: 12 November, 2013, 11:01:29 am »
Decision made. Thanks to all. I'll try and post back with answers to my questions on this thread from the pov of a new Etrex user.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #30 on: 12 November, 2013, 02:36:45 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #31 on: 11 March, 2014, 01:45:26 pm »
Bumping this just to thank people, in particular FF !

After a few weeks of puzzling over an etrex 30, I've learned enough to begin to understand the advice properly. It's all much appreciated.