Author Topic: Mapping / routing questions  (Read 1746 times)

Mapping / routing questions
« on: 04 February, 2014, 01:00:03 pm »
I've been asked to propose an outline for an app that lets people avoid pollution, in much the same way that CycleStreets lets you choose less heavily trafficked roads.

I think I've got the pollution modelling side of things covered by people in my geography dept (I work at a uni). However, once the pollution model layer is created, I've no idea whether the various routing services can be adapted to treat a pollution layer as if it were a traffic density layer. Does that sound feasible?

FWIW, I'm a health psych with a days worth of GIS training, and no coding skills.

I could contact the CycleStreets guys, as I know them from CamCycle. However, I'd like to have a bit of a better idea of what I'm after before I get in touch.

Re: Mapping / routing questions
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2014, 01:35:24 pm »
Which pollution was you overlaying?

NOx, <10mu Parts and Ground level Ozone?

Just overlay the bus routes.
Which means all Cycling SuperHighways are no-no  ;D

« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2014, 02:40:30 pm »
I'm not sure what the target is. The geographers said we should get the following data

West Yorkshire metro bus route data +++
Traffic flow from Highways Agency +++
Local council pollution monitoring data++
Google traffic data ++
Fleet efficiency / proportion of diesels
Wind direction
Topography
Sun arc

As you can see, bus data was their top pick.

« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2014, 03:01:37 pm »
http://www.engineering.leeds.ac.uk/short-courses/automotive/engine-emissions-measurement/

Try here.
I attended this course three times in the nineties.
Prof Gordon Andrews ( Leeds Uni ) and Rick Spurgeon from Horiba.

If you meet Rick, remind him about the guy who strapped a Peugeot race bicycle to a motorcycle chassis dynamometer at M.I.R.A.  ;D

I've looked down the course lecturers.
Tony Collier is there from Ford. I knew him when Ford owned Jaguar. Talking about Fourier Transform Infra Red, and mass spectrometry. That should be interesting.

simonp

« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2014, 03:23:00 pm »
Could start with the Wikipedia page on Routing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Routing

For an existing algorithm which costs time on a link, naively, scaling that by the pollution score would give total pollution exposure. You then would want to decide how to cost the link based on this (pollution alone would possibly result in very long round about routes, so I'd experiment with some weight applied to pollution, but still considering journey time).

I'm guessing you'd want to pre-compute the cost of each link rather than working it out on the fly.

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #5 on: 04 February, 2014, 05:27:43 pm »
Exactly this has been done using OSRM and OpenStreetMap data: http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/robert/diary/20054
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

« Reply #6 on: 04 February, 2014, 07:30:51 pm »
That is very, very useful. Thanks for the heads up!

« Reply #7 on: 05 February, 2014, 09:21:08 am »
Are you also going to mark on Abattoirs, poultry farms and animal carcass incinerators?

In addition, areas of known pesticide spraying.

Audax riders would be more concerned with these than inner city particulates.

« Reply #8 on: 05 February, 2014, 03:47:44 pm »
It's only going be over a small area around Bradford, which I suspect most audaxers avoid anyway.

red marley

« Reply #9 on: 05 February, 2014, 04:11:02 pm »
I think between Simon's post and the link posted by Richard, you've pretty much got the main issues covered for a meaningful conversation with CycleStreets.

Is the study for pedestrians or for several travel modes? I ask because one issue to consider is to ensure the link weights used by the routing algorithm optimise by time and not distance, as minutes of exposure is likely to be the key metric here. And of course, the time taken to navigate different road segments is very much mode dependent (pedestrians being largely inelastic wrt vehicle density, car drivers much more elastic).

If your modelling is temporally dependent (e.g. acknowledging that rush hour pollution levels show a different pattern and concentration to inter-peak periods), then this would add another level of complexity to the routing algorithm. It may be that you would have to simplify into peak vs non-peak periods rather than try to model the transition of a longer journey though the peak-time bulge.

The other potential problematic issue is data quality, or more specifically, the distribution of your pollution sensors/modelling. For patchy pollution data, your routing can become very dependent on the (arbitrary) weights you attached to missing data. Allied to this is the comparative weights you attach to pollution concentration vs time of exposure. If time of journey is weighted too highly, you just get a standard routing results, too low and you get long tortuous routes that avoid any hint of pollution. I am not aware of any work that provides much guidance on these relative weights for typical journey decisions, but your local geography colleagues may possibly be able to help there.

Sounds like an interesting project. Good luck with it.

red marley

« Reply #10 on: 05 February, 2014, 04:18:04 pm »
I forgot to add: One of my PhD students is working on a related project where he is using density of (filtered) photographs from Flickr and other photo-sharing websites as a surrogate for 'attractiveness' to provide a routing service for pedestrians in urban areas [some people here may remember completing an online experiment a year or so ago to help evaluate how well we can measure attractiveness from photo density]. It would be interesting to correlate our measures of attractiveness from this method with your model of pollution levels as well as comparing the resulting routes generated by both processes.

« Reply #11 on: 06 February, 2014, 06:54:55 am »
It's only going be over a small area around Bradford, which I suspect most audaxers avoid anyway.

Unburned Aromatic Hydrocarbons from chicken Balti.
Light-end ethers from toasting Naan.

Audaxers don't avoid that!

We have the same problem in Sparkhill.