Author Topic: Map not scrolling  (Read 1543 times)

Map not scrolling
« on: 04 February, 2014, 04:20:53 pm »
Hi all

another numpty issue, tried to follow a track as a test and found that th map did not scroll with my position, any ideas please?

thanks for any guidance

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Map not scrolling
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2014, 06:02:09 pm »
Assuming you're talking about a Garmin of some sort, then you've probably knocked the touchscreen/joystick and invoked a 'mouse pointer' and display of the coordinates it's pointing to (for scrolling around and selecting points on the map).  Press the back button once and it should disappear, and the map will re-centre on your location (and scroll to keep you centred).

« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2014, 06:55:39 pm »
 :) many thanks Kim that's sorted it (etrex 30)....jeez what a learning curve all this is

Other thing i'm struggling with is the backlight when its on I can see the map fine but when its off (with my eyesight) i'm struggling , any ideas?

thanks again

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2014, 07:06:11 pm »
That's fairly normal.  The screen on these is a bit of a compromise, and works well in darkness (with backlight) and bright sunlight (of the kind we don't really get a lot of in winter).  With the backlight off, it's quite sensitive to the viewing angle, and reflections, so fiddling with the mount may help, but if it's gloomy you probably just have to use the backlight - though finding a zoom level that keeps the display from being too cluttered can help.  The reflective display is significantly better in bright conditions than the transmissive display typical on phones etc, and allows for less backlight use overall.

Best approach to conserve battery is to set the backlight to time out after a minute or so, and either wake the screen with a short nudge of the joystick (which shouldn't be enough to put it into the select-a-point-on-the-map mode, but watch out for that happening) when you need to check it, or use route navigation so it lights up automatically at junctions/waypoints.

« Reply #4 on: 05 February, 2014, 12:58:36 pm »
thanks Kim :) it was the angle and its fine now

Could you clarify something for me

For route navigation is 50 points the limit?

For tracks is 500 a sensible limit?

thanks for any guidance

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 05 February, 2014, 02:30:43 pm »
Routes 'off road' = 250 points (which is a lot, enough for a day's riding even in very laney country)
Routes 'on road' = 50 points (which is still a lot)**
Tracks I'm not sure what the limit is, could be as high as 10,000 per Track.  Certainly very many more than 500. (That's a number that only applies to older models.)
A decent Track would typically have a point every 50m or so, on average - so you can 'do the math'.  500 points would only get you 25km.

** if you have set up your GPS routing to always be 'follow road' then if you load a Route of >50 you can't make any use of it - you have locked yourself out of the other routing options.
Instead, set the GPS routing to 'prompted'.  That way, you are always given the choice of which mode to use, and the opportunity to bale out to the other mode if one doesn't work.
gets you

more E30 setup tips
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #6 on: 05 February, 2014, 05:12:03 pm »
 :)many thanks

your tips (set ups etc) are excellent in the articles...

« Reply #7 on: 05 February, 2014, 10:37:12 pm »
Kim, is that true for an HCx? I've often had it get stuck, and resorted to a reboot to fix it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 05 February, 2014, 10:39:20 pm »
Kim, is that true for an HCx? I've often had it get stuck, and resorted to a reboot to fix it.

Yep.  Works the same way.  Push the joystick up/down/sideways on the map screen and you're into select mode, press back and you're out of it.

« Reply #9 on: 05 February, 2014, 10:52:11 pm »
By Back you mean Quit/Page (top button on the right)? Thanks, I'll try that next time it happens. I'm not aware that I've even touched the GPS when it's got stuck, but maybe it's subject to road shock.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 06 February, 2014, 12:53:10 am »
By Back you mean Quit/Page (top button on the right)? Thanks, I'll try that next time it happens. I'm not aware that I've even touched the GPS when it's got stuck, but maybe it's subject to road shock.

That's the one.  It's labelled 'back' on the eTrex 30 I have sitting here.  The Vista is downstairs somewhere.