Author Topic: Setting up my Garmin 800 : tracking problem and screen arrow warning  (Read 979 times)

Hi All,
Any advice with setting up my Garmin 800 would be appreciated as I’m having problems and I’m not sure what has changed.  Maybe there are some optimal Audax use  settings.

I need to set it up so that it beeps before a turning and then an arrow pointing the correct direction.

Secondary is that the backlight should get brighter when approaching a turning.

Currently it beeps when I’ve missed or am on top of a junction and if I see the arrow it’s so tiny on the screen that it’s useless

Just as annoying is that the TCX track (using ridewithGPS) doesn’t match the Garmin map ( Good satellite signal when starting )  and neither matches the blue position arrow. This is really strange. 

If I’m not following a route ( ie just GPS recording )  the position arrow is correctly located on the map.

Thanks for any tips

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Setting up my Garmin 800 : tracking problem and screen arrow warning
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2014, 12:48:12 pm »
This might help. Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2014, 01:16:19 pm »
Thanks, :thumbsup: i'll set it up as described and see if it fixes the tracking problem at the same time.  I'll be riding around the block a few times to see how it gets on

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2014, 10:14:52 am »
Tried the recommended setting and things have improved dramatically  :thumbsup:.   Thanks for the website pointer

Only 3 issues left.

1. Navigating in Town,  The closeness of the junctions is obscured by the arrows. Maybe zooming in would help

2. A short off road section cause the garmin to try and route via the road. I checked the ridewithGPS route and it is definetly correct

3. The unit takes some time to autoscale maps after an off road ( cycle path section )

thanks for the help

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2014, 12:05:27 pm »
I wouldn't let my 800 route for me without confirming what it was doing. It wanted me to do 400 metres down the A120 Wix bypass in the wrong direction last week!
216km from Marsh Gibbon