Author Topic: AUK and OCD inc.  (Read 9655 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
AUK and OCD inc.
« on: 11 December, 2018, 10:31:09 am »
I don't think the connection with OCD is that obvious...
As far as I am aware, OCD is about "geographical cols" and it doesn't promote going up and down the same col n times... I think you can only claim one col 2 or 3 times in one year. In OCD there is also a minimum of 100 vertical metres for a col to be counted which would rule out half of the climbs people use for Everesting.

Off-topic, but AUK have neglected OCD pretty badly, since merging with them in 2013.  Even the several Arrivee articles with a clear OCD interest are not properly flagged as such in the magazine - with a logo in the index page or by the article heading.

AUK could incorporate OCD claims into the events listings and results, much as is already done with AAA.  Any event which includes one or more OCD claims, would have the claims total listed as an event attribute (like AAA points) and any member finishing such an event would be automatically credited with an OCD claim for that day.  That would be several Scottish and Welsh events, and a few in northern England and Devon.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Re: AUK and OCD inc.
« Reply #1 on: 11 December, 2018, 11:21:54 am »
I include the OCD points for each col in the description of my event, but an automatic claim would be great

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-131/
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #2 on: 11 December, 2018, 11:59:36 am »
I just wish the OCD was called something else in this country.  As someone with a very close family member whose life has been totally destroyed by what OCD usually means in the English-speaking world, I can't help my heart sinking a little every time I pick up my favourite magazine, the magazine that reflects a major part of what I do to escape the results of the condition.  It wouldn't be a problem in France, the disease is called something else there.

It's just a horrid coincidence and one I don't expect anything to be done about - indeed, I sincerely hope I'm the only one getting the magazine who needs to feel like this.

Peter

« Reply #3 on: 11 December, 2018, 01:12:58 pm »
For those who don't know what the OCD to which you refer is, what is it?

« Reply #4 on: 11 December, 2018, 01:14:37 pm »
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

« Reply #5 on: 11 December, 2018, 01:18:40 pm »
I think he means the other one: http://www.aukweb.net/ocd/
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #6 on: 11 December, 2018, 01:21:25 pm »
Ah, ok.  I was surprised!

« Reply #7 on: 11 December, 2018, 09:28:34 pm »
Off-topic, but AUK have neglected OCD pretty badly, since merging with them in 2013.  Even the several Arrivee articles with a clear OCD interest are not properly flagged as such in the magazine - with a logo in the index page or by the article heading.

Maybe there just isn't a huge amount of interest. IIRC the "merger" happened because Ordre des Cols Durs was almost entirely inactive. I didn't support the "merger" then, because it felt like a bunch of people who didn't want to put the work in expecting others to do it for them. And if the people running the association couldn't be bothered, why should anyone else be?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 11 December, 2018, 11:40:32 pm »
AFAIK the OCD membership that transferred into AUK at that time (ie were given free AUK membership as part of the merger) have almost all lapsed.  That is 100% AUK's fault for not doing more to accommodate them.

OTOH, the OCD claims process has since reached record levels (AUK members being given access to OCD as part of the merger) to a level completely unprecedented before the merger took place.

And there have been a lot of OCD-worthy articles in Arrivee (which is really what OCD was all about - good stories of cycloclimbing) - just not always credited as such.  That is my main complaint - Arrivee should be more OCD-aware.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #9 on: 12 December, 2018, 01:42:46 pm »
As someone who has worked for a mental health charity and been doing audaxes for 12 years, OCD means only one thing - obsessive compulsive disorder.  It's an unfortunate acronym for Audax UK to be using.
The sound of one pannier flapping

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #10 on: 12 December, 2018, 02:15:45 pm »
As someone who has worked for a mental health charity and been doing audaxes for 12 years, OCD means only one thing - obsessive compulsive disorder.  It's an unfortunate acronym for Audax UK to be using.

Sponsorship from the Banque Nationale de Paris always causes me to double take because of it's UK political context.
There are plenty of acronyms which have a meanings where knowing the context it's being used in affects meaning.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 12 December, 2018, 02:46:55 pm »
That's an unfortunate situation - you have my sympathy, as do Peter and any other members closely affected by these things, but I don't persoanlly think it should be changed.

There is a silver lining - this thread suggests that most AUKs have finally got their hilarious OCD jokes out of their system.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 12 December, 2018, 03:09:44 pm »
Abbreviations and acronyms are bound to have more than one meaning and we were discouraged from using them without explaining their intended meaning the first time they were used.
I think this is the only safe and inoffensive way of using them.

I don't think OCD 'belongs' to mental health exclusively any more than any other abbreviation.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #13 on: 12 December, 2018, 03:47:22 pm »
And, as noted on the AUK OCD page:

"Note, the OCD is not to be confused with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, though as with long-distance cycling in general, there may be similarities."   ::-)

http://www.aukweb.net/ocd/
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #14 on: 12 December, 2018, 03:50:40 pm »
As I said above, I'm possibly in a minority of one amongst readers of Arrivee and was expressing bthe regret I feel.  However, whilst it is technically correct to say that OCD doesn't belong exclusively to mental health terminology, it is absolutely indisputable that that will be the first connotation  that members of the English-speaking world will have, including most cyclists.  I wouldn't mind betting that many readers of Arrivee have no idea that in the context of the magazine it stands for Ordre Des Cols Durs and is French.

Wilky - yes, that's really tasteful, isn't it!

« Reply #15 on: 12 December, 2018, 03:56:21 pm »
Obsessive Cycling Disorder
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

« Reply #16 on: 12 December, 2018, 04:01:05 pm »
As I said above, I'm possibly in a minority of one amongst readers of Arrivee and was expressing bthe regret I feel.  However, whilst it is technically correct to say that OCD doesn't belong exclusively to mental health terminology, it is absolutely indisputable that that will be the first connotation  that members of the English-speaking world will have, including most cyclists.  I wouldn't mind betting that many readers of Arrivee have no idea that in the context of the magazine it stands for Ordre Des Cols Durs and is French.

Wilky - yes, that's really tasteful, isn't it!

Personally I'd like it if the medical profession could rename the condition. They don't use Shouty Sweary Syndrome.

And yes, that statement needs to go.

« Reply #17 on: 12 December, 2018, 04:30:31 pm »
I wouldn't mind betting that many readers of Arrivee have no idea that in the context of the magazine it stands for Ordre Des Cols Durs and is French.
Which brings us neatly round to (and can be rectified by) the point the OP makes. More advertisement (in Arrivee articles' headers where relevant) that 'OCD' in AudaxUK (and in wider cycling) terms is climbing cols: lots of them. And where possible (and for the first time in any article), use the full name: "Ordre des Cols Durs".

« Reply #18 on: 15 December, 2018, 07:35:57 pm »
We joined the OCD to liven up out European cycle tours, I imagine the lower limit of 300m made you search out bigger climbs. Would like to find out why its lowered to 200m and if it still needs a vertical difference of 100m. Don't think that in the UK people will be able to submit decent claims. We have never claimed any UK passes. Audax is about distance not climbing, note that the route sheet is just a guide its the controls that matter. AAA events can be done missing out hills. That's the problem.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #19 on: 15 December, 2018, 09:32:52 pm »
I've not got it in front of me, but my recollection is 300m, or 200m from sea level on an island, hence I could claim Arran earlier this year. I wouldn't count Great Britain as an island for that purpose.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #20 on: 16 December, 2018, 10:45:40 am »
Now that we are almost out of Europe, we cannot be classed as an island. The UK is the mainland and the islands so I suppose its back
 to the 300m lower limit. I do miss my little certificate from the French. They saved my running total when the  everyone's total dissappeared

« Reply #21 on: 16 December, 2018, 11:08:34 am »
Audax is about distance not climbing, note that the route sheet is just a guide its the controls that matter. AAA events can be done missing out hills. That's the problem.
If an AAA event (advisory route) can be ridden "missing out the hills" then the route planning is flawed or the rider is prepared to ride significantly (and not beneficially) further to avoid the climbs/descents. Perhaps you could suggest a couple of examples? I work on the basis that riding an extra km is worth avoiding 40m of climb (and vice versa) ceteris paribus. Quality of road/surface for the downhill is often a moderating factor when choosing a hillier option.

« Reply #22 on: 16 December, 2018, 12:43:58 pm »
Please tell how AAA and advisory route works. If you don't do the set route how can you claim the AAA points are they are based on the climbing. And it's a F........ U to the person running the Audax. Long gone are the days of following the route. Sad people sitting on the computer looking for the line of least resistance.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 16 December, 2018, 02:01:01 pm »
<snip>

Long gone are the days of following the route. Sad people sitting on the computer looking for the line of least resistance.
I'm pretty sure that isn't the case - the vast majority (typically well over 90% on large events) follow the route given to them by the organiser. Often the figure is 100%.

(Your "sad people" comment is really rather ... bad form. IMHO. It certainly doesn't add anything to the discussion. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #24 on: 16 December, 2018, 03:43:01 pm »
 Perhaps rides down south usually follow the route🤔