Author Topic: TINAT 2019 - 15th & 16th June  (Read 25189 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: TINAT 2019 - 15th & 16th June
« Reply #100 on: 09 June, 2019, 02:34:46 pm »
Got the emails thank you Mark :-)

There's no route sheet issued for the 166 rough so I made this:
http://www.soretween.altervista.org/misc/TINAT166.xls

There are 13 off road sections, 71.2km in total.

As Mark says in his email, a conventional route sheet will not be effective on such a high proportion off road route.  The linked route sheet will not get you round.  It should work just fine on the road sections but off road it will not replace the GPS.

I made it because I'm not comfortable relying on GPS alone1.  In particular there's a couple of points you have to turn off a road while descending, my Garmin always beeps after I've passed turn points which I would be doing at speed.  Hopefully having the on road segment distances will give me warning when these are upcoming.  I will have marked OS maps2 with me too, I'm hoping having this on the bars will cut down on the times I need to refer to them as time for me will be tight.  It should be reliable on the road sections and those off road section that I rode last year3.  It has not been checked so use it at your own risk!

My route sheet is small and the sheet order is strange because it is set up to be printed duplex and laminated in 83x133mm sleeves.  Distances highlighted green are ridden on road.  Off road distances includes everything from tarmac driveways to whatever mud/gravel/boulder fields have been found for us to enjoy.

1 That's just my choice m'kay?  Let's not start another war.
2 Explorer sheets 200, 213 & 214
3 2018 100a and 100b with some extra gravel sections added.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Phil W

« Reply #101 on: 09 June, 2019, 04:21:31 pm »
Depending on your GPS you could always set a waypoint with a proximity alarm for road / off road transitions.  Perhaps with a 200 m radius if down a hill and 100 m most other times.  OSM has details of a great deal of off road tracks, but not all extracts have it shown. So may be worth looking at the OSM MTB versions to install on your GPS if you'd like them shown.

« Reply #102 on: 09 June, 2019, 08:19:53 pm »
There will be the usual social on Sunday afternoon. Starting at around about 4 pm.

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #103 on: 10 June, 2019, 10:09:13 am »
I like that the smooth 300, an objectively meaty ride,  could be viewed as a 'cop out' ride beside some of the other variants.

I'm delighted to cop out on this occasion.

« Reply #104 on: 10 June, 2019, 07:00:51 pm »
Me too

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #105 on: 14 June, 2019, 09:08:46 am »
Mr Bond and I will be seeking something to settle the nerves in Arfon Ale House this evening, probably around 19:00.  Anyone else?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #106 on: 16 June, 2019, 09:29:14 am »
Thoroughly enjoyed the TINAT 300g.   Must be one of Mark's best crafted routes.   Almost all traffic free single track roads throughout apart from the road over Gospel Pass (a Tourist's Honeypot) which was also being used by the local Cycle Club to do a mass Everesting.   Constant amazing views.   Only 1 hour of rain from about 7.15am thank goodness.    Especially enjoyed the new route (for me) from the Devils Staircase to Llandovery.    An MOD stretch even had a traffic free dual carriageway, quite bizarre.      Disappointed not to see more Audaxers take advantage of this 100% tarmac option.   The day's 400 was obviously the main TINAT Event, but this 300 should be on every Non Off roading Audaxers list for next year.     I did have to forego Kingston Wheelers 600 though.  Hopefully they won't clash next year, as Laid Back Rich's route cannot compete with Mark's constant quality scenery.

« Reply #107 on: 16 June, 2019, 06:08:19 pm »
Thanks Mark,

I will never tire of this view!!

Eddington Number 75

« Reply #108 on: 16 June, 2019, 07:36:20 pm »
That cant be far from the slate mines at Arthog

S2L

« Reply #109 on: 16 June, 2019, 08:41:14 pm »
Thoroughly enjoyed the TINAT 300g.   Must be one of Mark's best crafted routes.   Almost all traffic free single track roads throughout apart from the road over Gospel Pass (a Tourist's Honeypot) which was also being used by the local Cycle Club to do a mass Everesting.   Constant amazing views.   Only 1 hour of rain from about 7.15am thank goodness.    Especially enjoyed the new route (for me) from the Devils Staircase to Llandovery.    An MOD stretch even had a traffic free dual carriageway, quite bizarre.      Disappointed not to see more Audaxers take advantage of this 100% tarmac option.   The day's 400 was obviously the main TINAT Event, but this 300 should be on every Non Off roading Audaxers list for next year.     I did have to forego Kingston Wheelers 600 though.  Hopefully they won't clash next year, as Laid Back Rich's route cannot compete with Mark's constant quality scenery.

It was on my to do list last winter, but I have cut my travelling for cycling budget and Llandindrodd is just a bit too far

« Reply #110 on: 20 June, 2019, 08:57:22 am »
Returned to this event for the second year. Last year I did the 600, this time I opted for the 200F & 200G (basically the 400 split into two). The focus was the bivi and seeing how a fully loaded bike would handle.
The rear hub gave a lot of grief. The bike shop in Llanidloes let me use their tools. I took it apart and put it back together. Still a bit flakey, but it held to the end.

Superb route as before. There were only 6 of us riding the 200, we mixed in with the 400 riders. All of us finished around the same time...very close to the time limit!
I bivied with two of the others on the banks of the estuary. It was f&^&ing grim an interesting learning experience.

The midges launched their attack as soon as we climbed off the bikes. I got very hot hiding in the bag, but cooled down a bit when it rained on my face.
Needless to say I didn't sleep a wink. Exhausted I opted to DNS the 200G and ride back to Llandrindod Wells directly. Strava's route planner punished me with a ridiculously hilly return route, but I took it slow.

Some photos and videos:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEoxyar

I can't overstate how good these events are. I believe that there were about 11 different rides. Long, short, road, mixed terrain & MTB.
A hog roast and lots of beer at the end.
2020 do it!

Many thanks to Mark and James and the others working behind the scenes.
It should be made know that James drove all the way out to Barmouth, slept in his car just so that he could be there at 06:00 to hand out brevet cards to 6 people! (much appreciated...even if I didn't take the card)

Thanks also to mattc for rescuing my cap from the pub. Sunday just wouldn't have been the same without it  ;)

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #111 on: 20 June, 2019, 01:30:03 pm »
Great photos ^^^^^^  :thumbsup: I wasn't there but these make a good case for being there in the future

« Reply #112 on: 22 June, 2019, 07:27:06 pm »
Wot Jon said  :thumbsup:

« Reply #113 on: 20 January, 2020, 11:51:50 am »
Are any rides happening this year? These really caught my eye last year but I wasn't able to do them then. May be able to this year...

S2L

« Reply #114 on: 20 January, 2020, 04:43:50 pm »
Are any rides happening this year? These really caught my eye last year but I wasn't able to do them then. May be able to this year...

There is something in the planner for Mid July... but it's still at the first stage of planning, so it might even not happen