Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL 2017 thread for random things which don't require etc etc ...  (Read 27073 times)

Re: LEL 2017 thread for random things which don't require etc etc ...
« Reply #125 on: 07 August, 2017, 11:37:51 am »
That was nice.  Richard looks like it might have been Rich from Dulwich Paragon - is that right?  Sorry he didn't make it.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #126 on: 07 August, 2017, 11:50:45 am »
If it's who I think it was, knee stopped play at BC southbound.  Nice bloke - I bumped into him again at Darlo station where he had an hour or so to wait for a southbound train and was still cheerful and smiley.

Alexander Turner

• Enough is plenty. Good enough will do.
« Reply #127 on: 07 August, 2017, 12:28:48 pm »
It was Richard from Dulwich. Lovely fella. Very good company. Hope the knee mends quickly. I never knew. Last we saw of each other was in Brampton. I was just leaving as he rolled in. Looked pretty good then considering that tedious drag from Longtown.

« Reply #128 on: 07 August, 2017, 02:35:03 pm »
Monaxle-your stomach problems may have been the result of bumpy roads. It can shake you about more than you think, especially if you are on narrow (25 mm?) tyres and a carbon frame.I found that this ride was more calorie demanding than any other as well, making my guts work overtime just to keep up with my legs.
Nice report ,thank you. Everything you say about gaining experience by riding an SR series is spot on. I think it helps a lot , but there are exceptions.

« Reply #129 on: 07 August, 2017, 04:15:08 pm »
Did I just dream it, or did I cycle down a "Cowshit Lane" ?

Rich XAB

• Dulwich on the outside, Peckham on the inside!
« Reply #130 on: 07 August, 2017, 05:36:03 pm »
Nice write-up monaxle and great riding with you. Well done on completing the ride  :thumbs: The photo made me laugh; the next time I see a space blanket...

As mentioned, I did pack at Barney (heading south). Unable to walk or ride without feeling a lot of pain in my feet (not the knees although they weren't great either :-\). I should have packed at Brampton but thought the trek to BC would help me decide if it was a physical or mental thing - definitely the former, as it turned out. It wasn't until after a good bath at home that I noticed that my feet were like those of a hobbit [walk,walk,walk. Battle  ;D].

A big thanks to Alpha Pete, CrinklyLion, Dave R for your wonderful support at BC. A big thanks too, to all the volunteers for a great event. It was a pleasure to see so many smiling faces. Enjoyed the company on the road of faces, old and new. Now I have the feet I'm off to do the Mordor 1200  ;)

Rich

Al, you have PM

CrinklyLion

« Reply #131 on: 07 August, 2017, 05:53:23 pm »
Feet - not knees.  Sorry, I should have remembered that!

« Reply #132 on: 08 August, 2017, 10:27:15 am »
I have just been speaking to a customer whose offices and plant are on the route at Spalding. He was well aware of the cyclists passing through Spalding and the control at the school.
 He also commented that one of his production team was less than amused that a tired rider had run into the back of his car which was parked on the roadside.

« Reply #133 on: 08 August, 2017, 02:17:17 pm »
Did anyone else's GPS throw a wobbler going over the top of Yad Moss? Mine started beeping at me then got stuck and eventually I had to reset it, at almost the exact same place in both directions.

« Reply #134 on: 08 August, 2017, 02:53:34 pm »
Durham gods are jealous gods.

« Reply #135 on: 08 August, 2017, 04:36:16 pm »
I have just been speaking to a customer whose offices and plant are on the route at Spalding. He was well aware of the cyclists passing through Spalding and the control at the school.
 He also commented that one of his production team was less than amused that a tired rider had run into the back of his car which was parked on the roadside.
I don't think that the volunteers at Spalding were aware of that (Jim, the controller may have been made aware though).

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #136 on: 08 August, 2017, 05:12:23 pm »
I will find out a bit more when I am down there in a few weeks time, but I don't think it was serious.
It has happened to me before .

CrinklyLion

« Reply #137 on: 09 August, 2017, 12:01:39 am »
There was a chap wandering, zombie-like but smiley, at BC as we were closing up.  Looking for a mate, and said that he didn't really know what his plan was.

Yesterday he posted a pic on the LEL fb page of himself at Thirsk, announcing that he had  -108 hours 30 minutes in hand.  I did offer lunch in York if he fancied the Easingwold Alternative, but he was sticking to the route so I sent him to Granny Annie's for a cuppa instead so that the hounds there could become official #dogsoflel too.  Plus also Granny Annie has made it onto the LEL fb page now.  It turns out that he'd packed at Thirsk and gone home (to London I think) but regretted that so decided to get himself back up to Thirsk and finish the damn ride.  10 minutes ago he just posted a pic of himself by the school gates in Loughton :D

CrinklyLion

« Reply #139 on: 09 August, 2017, 12:39:39 am »
D'oh!  Unobservant, I am.

« Reply #140 on: 10 August, 2017, 08:54:17 am »
10 minutes ago he just posted a pic of himself by the school gates in Loughton :D

Thanks again for arranging a cuppa, and your support online!

« Reply #141 on: 10 August, 2017, 10:07:20 pm »
I am beginning to think I was VERY VERY lucky to finish.

Coming out of Thirsk (s'bound) I was getting a lot of strange noises from the drivetrain.
Oil on chain seemed to (mostly) cure it, but it gradually got worse again after Pock .
Put more oil on just after the bridge but little effect.
Asked Louth mechanic to put more on but he thought not needed and it was creaking from slightly loose (HT2 style) BB.
I slacked off LH crank and tightened the preload cap a nudge before refitting crank, but I was still getting occasional noises all the way to the finish (and all the way into central London for my train home)

I only looked at bike for the first time today, after various other bits of cleaning & fettling I refitted rear wheel and it was pretty well locked, the cassette lockring fouling the frame.
Wheel off again and investigate - nothing wrong with cassette or lockring, but the spacer on the drive side of the hub seemed to have retreated behind the level of the lockring.  A bit of to & fro on phone with Hope, and find that not only is the spacer fubar but the outboard freehub bearing has completely disintegrated.
Seems I rode 400km on a hub lubricated by swarf !  :facepalm:   and with the (alloy) cassette lockring grinding itself away on the (Ti) dropout.   :o

I thought it was harder work than it should have been!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #142 on: 10 August, 2017, 10:25:31 pm »
I bet you are glad that LEL wasn't 1500 or 1600km long.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #143 on: 10 August, 2017, 10:45:33 pm »
Not half as glad as I am that I didn't refit the steel lockring.  The alloy one was nicely sacrificial.  The steel one could have fubar'd the frame!   

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #144 on: 10 August, 2017, 10:59:10 pm »
That'll teach you about choosing a cheap and nasty hub. ;)
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #145 on: 28 August, 2017, 08:57:21 pm »
I got (me and LEL) a little tiny mention on Cerys Matthews' radio 6 show this morning, while doing my post-LEL bike clean (well, rehab).
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #146 on: 03 September, 2017, 10:44:21 pm »
I put the ride up on Strava and noticed that the thumbnail on my list of rides was blank.  I sent a message to the Strava Support Team and after a long wait I have received the following reply:

Thanks for writing in. What an impressive ride! It appears that since the ride was so large it is taking a long time for the image to appear, unfortunately, the servers time out before the image is available. Sorry about that!

« Reply #147 on: 17 September, 2017, 11:43:49 am »
Who won?

« Reply #148 on: 17 September, 2017, 12:44:29 pm »
Well it wasn't Sunderland.