Author Topic: Kennet Valley Run 7th March  (Read 17558 times)

Re: Kennet Valley Run 7th March
« Reply #25 on: 19 February, 2015, 09:17:34 pm »
I fancy the 100km event again this year. The time difference between the longer and shorter rides last year was enough that the ice had gone by the time we got there. I hadn't realised there was a chance of ice till we came upon the accident :(

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #26 on: 19 February, 2015, 09:32:44 pm »
See you there!

« Reply #27 on: 20 February, 2015, 03:24:16 pm »
Signed-up for the 200k.  Hope my current lurgy has passed by them  :-\

« Reply #28 on: 20 February, 2015, 05:13:36 pm »
Entered the 200 as my first Audax.  I should probably ride my bike a bit beforehand...

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #29 on: 22 February, 2015, 08:15:32 am »
Seriously considering this as a getting-into-shape-ride for the Dean... it's been way too may low mileage weeks for me recently!

Did this about 3 years ago and found it a great ride - nice and flat apart from the series of short sharp shocks in the last 50k.

« Reply #30 on: 22 February, 2015, 11:20:12 am »
nice and flat apart from the series of short sharp shocks in the last 50k.

Agree with this having done the ride in 2013.  I've signed up for the 200km and assuming no ice will be there.

@Mattc - think I leave close by to you as I think we chatted on the BCM in 2013, I'm Oxford area. Trying to persuade a few locals to head down but could look to lift share if you wanted?

« Reply #31 on: 26 February, 2015, 11:16:22 am »
Just giving this thread a bump to try to avoid splintering

« Reply #32 on: 26 February, 2015, 11:27:04 am »
Entered for the third time.

DNS for the last two years (broken hand last year) so hoping for better luck this year.

Early indications from the BBC weather site are NW wind (11 mph) and 9c although the BBC may change their mind a few times between now and then.

Booked in at the Holiday Inn.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 26 February, 2015, 12:50:46 pm »
@Mattc - think I leave close by to you as I think we chatted on the BCM in 2013, I'm Oxford area. Trying to persuade a few locals to head down but could look to lift share if you wanted?
I have a dim memory of such a conversation! (was it on a flat bit near Aberhafesp-ish?!?)

Anyway, I'll aim to get in touch. At the moment the train is PlanA, but not fixed in stone (no cheap tickets have been bought).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #34 on: 26 February, 2015, 01:19:57 pm »
I may well be there avec Le Pashley and fighting with the other Lanterne Rouge pretenders for the title  8)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #35 on: 26 February, 2015, 01:54:05 pm »
Anyone who recognises Mrs B on the 100, please say hello. I'm pretty sure Drossall has met her, & I think mattc. She's done it a couple of times in the last few years.

I have to give it a miss, after my strained back last month & my crash last week.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #36 on: 27 February, 2015, 10:03:51 pm »
I've entered the 100. Now is it going to be the trike, or maybe the classic Holdsworth Mistral like last year? :-\

« Reply #37 on: 27 February, 2015, 10:22:53 pm »
Well I dodged a bullet today as my Twitter followers will know. Nearly had to bow out of the KVR and PBP also!

« Reply #38 on: 28 February, 2015, 09:49:26 pm »
Entry in, my first 200 for about 4 years  :o

RPhillips, I'll talk to you on Tuesday about your planned ride to / from the start as your route will probably be past my front door.

« Reply #39 on: 01 March, 2015, 02:16:38 pm »
Due to the high numbers of entries Mick has unfortunately (and very reluctantly) had to close both events to new entrants.  While we have no problem with numbers at the start and finish, we do have concerns about the ability of the cafes, on whom we rely for intermediate controls, to process riders quickly.  It being a Saturday, they won't be without other customers.

If you find that you are unable to ride, and are able to give Mick a couple of days notice, he would greatly appreciate that.  Please note that entries are not transferable.  If (and I'm not saying he will) Mick can allocate a place to a "late entry" that is his prerogative.  Assume there will be no entries on the line.

« Reply #40 on: 01 March, 2015, 04:39:05 pm »
have concerns about the ability of the cafes, on whom we rely for intermediate controls, to process riders quickly.  It being a Saturday, they won't be
Seriously considering bouncing both first visit to TP and Bratton.  We've identified a suitable alternative eating location midway between them, and we'll get the TP on the way back.  I don't feel guilty about not eating at Bratton as we were there the other day on a DIY.   Hoping it will be stickers on the counter not receipts there?

« Reply #41 on: 01 March, 2015, 05:11:41 pm »
Seriously considering bouncing both first visit to TP and Bratton.

For all their loveliness I've found both those controls can be a little swamped so I may well follow suit.

When bouncing a commercial control I usually try to leave a quid as a tip in exchange for a stamp.

« Reply #42 on: 01 March, 2015, 05:50:44 pm »
The thing I always want to figure out is any differences from previous years (on the 100, in my case). Anyone spotted anything?

I know about the alternatives around Winding Wood - I've done this route three or four times, at least once according to the new GPX (because that's what the route sheet said), once according to this year's route sheet (because the route was updated owing to the state of the road on the shorter way) and last year bashing down the A4 before turning left for Wickham (because that route was offered last year in view of the weather, and I fancied a change).

« Reply #43 on: 01 March, 2015, 06:02:21 pm »
Mick has re-opened entries

« Reply #44 on: 01 March, 2015, 06:10:13 pm »
The thing I always want to figure out is any differences from previous years (on the 100, in my case). Anyone spotted anything?

I know about the alternatives around Winding Wood - I've done this route three or four times, at least once according to the new GPX (because that's what the route sheet said), once according to this year's route sheet (because the route was updated owing to the state of the road on the shorter way) and last year bashing down the A4 before turning left for Wickham (because that route was offered last year in view of the weather, and I fancied a change).

The only difference on the 100 is that bit by Winding Wood (on the gpx track, I think the routesheet is as last year).  The gpx track on the ThamesValleyAudax website is the same as the 2012 route.  It's all cosmetic.  The changes in 2013 and 2014 were because of the appalling road surface, which has been repaired

On the 200, the same difference on the return, plus last year the route avoided Wolf Hall Farm, taking a different route between Great Bedwyn and Burbage.

On both events using last year's gpx track or routesheet would not create a problem; you'd just ride a little further than necessary.

« Reply #45 on: 01 March, 2015, 06:16:46 pm »
I suppose I should ask the same of the 200.

Any difference from the 2013 route?

Ta

« Reply #46 on: 01 March, 2015, 06:39:26 pm »
I'm doing the 100k following a near death experience with man flu over the last 4 weeks.  It's one of my local training rides as I'm from Newbury, may even do it that s Tuesday if I can avoid working too much.

« Reply #47 on: 01 March, 2015, 06:49:46 pm »
I'm doing the 100k following a near death experience with man flu over the last 4 weeks.

Hey, I'm doing the 200 instead of having spinal surgery.

Men. We're a tough breed ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #48 on: 01 March, 2015, 06:54:20 pm »
I suppose I should ask the same of the 200.

Try reading Phil's post?

:)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #49 on: 01 March, 2015, 06:58:41 pm »
Slaps forehead.

I blame the Port you know. And senility. And, er... what was I saying...?

:D