Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3901318 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21175 on: 24 July, 2017, 09:13:34 am »
A 38k tootle from home to Wissembourg on the German border. Hilly - about 600m climbing - and a strong wind that was had me crawling on some of the climbs going home. Excellent coffee in Wissembourg, best I've had in a while.

Trivium:* In the Middle Ages a local baron had a barney over water rights with the abbot of Wissembourg, which ended when the baron dammed the river in dispute then broke the dam and flooded out the town.  He's now used as an ogre to scare misbehaving kids.

View of Cleebourg & its vineyards, passed en route. The local wine was in the drain-cleaner bracket until ~25 years ago when they were taken over, and are apparently quite good these days.

[large]

*Roman city not far from here, called Trier nowadays (lie).
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21176 on: 24 July, 2017, 11:41:25 am »
Yesterday's ride started with making sandwiches at home. This was because we'd been warned we'd be stopping for lunch at a pub that does not do food. That makes a counter-intuitive choice for a lunch stop to my mind, but doubtless it had other attractions. It was raining heavily when I got to the start point but a couple of riders were already there. So was a group of roadies looking at the clouds and having a conversation which went "Cafe?" "Cafe!" They were still in the cafe when we left, cos we're hard. Or foolish.

It carried on raining, sometimes more heavily, sometimes less, all morning till just before we got to the pub, which turned out to be "The Pub". That's its name. I guess it's the only pub in the village, and it's not really in the village, it's at the end of a long narrow road on a point sticking out into the Severn Estuary with beautiful views of the mudflats – it was low tide – and across to the Forest. We trooped in, bought beer and crisps – I had a pint of Bob, which is nothing to do with bobb, and Jane, who is not that Jane, had a pickled egg, and just about everyone had a pint of Bob, which meant the landlady had to keep going in and out of the back room where there was a barrel which, for some reason, was not connected to the pump at the bar – and then we trooped out again and sat in the sunshine, hoping our wet kit would dry. Dave investigated a WW2 pill box. We ate our sandwiches. And the landlady came rushing out yelling at us, "No picnics! I do lunches! Ploughmans and pork pies!" We mumbled about the misinformative website and stopped eating. Later, Jane bought a pork pie, and we all rode off to the ships' graveyard to finish our sandwiches or pork pie.

The ships' graveyard is a place where old concrete canal barges have been deliberately stranded on the bank of the Severn at various times from the 1940s onwards, to shore up the bank and prevent it eroding through into the Sharpness Canal, which is only a few metres inland at that point. There are now labels identifying some of the boats – name, place and date of building, year of stranding – and some sculptures. And a bench, but it was wet where the concrete of the barges was dry, so we sat on the barges to finish our lunches.

Then down the tow path, stopping to look at the remains of the railway bridge (just the pivot tower really). We spotted something large and grey on a sandbank which could have been the remains of one of the barges which destroyed it on a foggy night in 1960 (about which there is some controversy, suggestions it could have been a put up job cos they wanted to get rid of the bridge anyway; I doubt if the family of the crew who died take kindly to this theory). Round the docks, carefully taking a perpendicular line over the railway tracks, and home via a cafe in Tortworth for more cake. A fun day but now I've got an ear/jaw infection. But that'll recover.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #21177 on: 25 July, 2017, 12:56:07 pm »
21 miles out into the middle of nowhere and back on the MTB. Enjoyable.
Steady at 15

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21178 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:56:27 pm »
Twice.

The first effort was my first visit for ages to the Tuesday Riders. This was a group set up by the Road Safety Office in Southend, designed to get people cycling socially. It has morphed into a group of superannuated racers, one of whom was good enough to tow me round at about 11mph, a good 2 to 3 mph below his normal pace. There was an awful lot of bling on display, including some sort of Specialized carbon jobbie with little streamlined flaps to cover the fork "elbows" which opened when the bars were turned. I couldn't find the precise model on Specialized's website, but I doubt if its owner, a guy at least my age and not much more than half my weight who rides around at speeds averaging in excess of 20mph, got any change from £6k for it.

The guy who accompanied me, who I think said his name was Max, was a marathon runner in a previous existence and took up cycling when his knees were shot. "You're quite a youngster though, aren't you?" I enquired, innocently placing him in the late 40s/early 50s bracket. "74" he replied.

THe second ride was a Panchoesque trip to the library to change Phyllis's talking books.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #21179 on: 26 July, 2017, 07:45:42 pm »
Only my daily miles to work 'n' back, but notable for me deciding to wait in the bike shed out of a shower before setting off home. Good call! A ten minute deluge finished to let me ride off into the warm sunshine.  ;D

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #21180 on: 27 July, 2017, 01:16:09 pm »
25 miles today on the road bike.
Steady at 15

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #21181 on: 27 July, 2017, 05:56:52 pm »
Just short of an hour around the back lanes before work  8)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #21182 on: 28 July, 2017, 07:23:23 am »
Left home for a post work ride and immediately hit rain. Decided to wait out the downpour in a subway under the A2, which sounded strangely hypnotic with 6 lanes of traffic rolling by. Rain son cleared up and enjoyed clear conditions for the rest of the ride :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21183 on: 28 July, 2017, 04:52:30 pm »
119 k in a satisfyingly squiggly loop through the hills. Glowering clouds much of the way but only got 3 drops of rain. Must have been doing something right, legs stiff & sore afterwards. >1000m climbed.

« Reply #21184 on: 29 July, 2017, 11:21:33 am »
I was tempted out by a good forecast early this morning. The forecast lied.
Hit the first shower at 7 miles and by heck it was cold. Pedalling into the wind and uphill soon dried me out but it was incredibly energy sapping. By the time I'd got to the top of the hill above Wolsingham I could see a battalion of heavy showers marching down Weardale from the west. To the east all was sunshine so east it was.
Kept dry all the way home but my intention to do a long 'un disappeared once I'd got wet.
It's more like October than July.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21185 on: 29 July, 2017, 12:54:04 pm »
That it is.  Several signs of autumn yesterday, viz. ceps not just growing at the roadside but full-size and turning up at the edges, and then this:

I want my summer back. :demon:

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #21186 on: 29 July, 2017, 03:15:54 pm »
Marooned at the Milk churn in rudgewick on a easy cheesy peasy ride. It's raining and I took a wrong turn on the way down, reversing the route. I hate reversing routes but if I continue on  there is no way I can make the climb north up whitedown lane on my current gearing so... I'll head north east for Leigh hill and box hill and then a main road bash home. :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21187 on: 29 July, 2017, 04:15:08 pm »
18 very slow miles in London at the Freecycle. Fahzunds of people. Didn't see anyone I knew.

« Reply #21188 on: 29 July, 2017, 05:06:00 pm »
18 very slow miles in London at the Freecycle. Fahzunds of people. Didn't see anyone I knew.

Neither did I. We only did one lap + a couple of off route excursions and then took a wandering route back to Richmond. Damp-ish but as I had a proper jacket on it was not unpleasant at all.

« Reply #21189 on: 29 July, 2017, 05:33:01 pm »
An afternoon of gardening / fence wrangling round at Mother's (the Brompton took me there) has left me too pooped to attend the Brompton World Championship in St James's Park this evening.
Beaucoup merde :(

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #21190 on: 30 July, 2017, 02:55:17 pm »
24 miles on the MTB.
My legs ache.
Steady at 15

« Reply #21191 on: 30 July, 2017, 07:58:48 pm »
Waterbeach to St Ives (Cambs) and return, a Moulton ride: one white Bridgestone Moulton, one pink TSR, one yellow ATB tandem. Lunch at Houghton Mill. Saw some LELers riding through St Ives.

Route here: https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=judlqxfsogmqxtzb

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21192 on: 30 July, 2017, 10:05:51 pm »
Jan and I took the old tandem out for a potter, with a view to picking blackberries.

We did just short of 20 miles. The first 10 we had the wind behind us and I pushed a bit too hard. We averaged 10.4mph, but when we turned into the wind on the way home, I hadn't got anything left in the tanks. We were forced to stop for an ice cream. Even so, our average speed dropped to 8.1mph. A bit disheartening, made more so by the fact that the blackberries aren't anywhere near ready at the east end of the borough. Fortunately, Dez picked a load in the garden and stewed several litres of them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21193 on: 30 July, 2017, 10:16:33 pm »
Quick trip to Wilkos before the downpour to stock up on white spirit, hacksaw blades and printer paper.

I got mildly drenched on the way there.

The downpour never arrived.

« Reply #21194 on: 31 July, 2017, 01:43:50 pm »
No cunning plan today, just ride until I got soaked or worn out. Tried to stay within 10 miles of home so I could chicken out at any point. Ended up doing 50 lumpy miles in 3:35 and stayed dry even though there are heavy showers all around. It's flipping windy too. Wonder if the summer is coming back.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21195 on: 01 August, 2017, 03:02:27 pm »
Just shy of 90k round the Outre-Forêt, a lumpy agricultural area between us and the Rhine.  Similar sort of terrain to the lumpy bits of PBP, including one long climb through about 230 metres.  Nothing much of note, save that it was hot and muggy - another longish climb was into the wind, with a chicken farm baking in the sun at the top of the hill. That was fragrant. Coffee and croissants in Wissembourg, really quite a pleasant place despite being full of tourists.

« Reply #21196 on: 02 August, 2017, 07:28:03 pm »
Yes! First proper ride in a while; about 55K all in. Up to Barr Beacon in the drizzle (not much of a view, alas), then on to Sutton Park to dodge the potholes. There must have been a recent cycle event; some kind soul had marked out the holes and the best lines to avoid them in yellow paint, and on one of the (micro-)climbs, heading up to the col du donkey sanctuary, an encouraging 'Allez!' was emblazoned on the tarmac. Then took a turn north for a meander through the lanes before turning back with a stop for a cuppa and a bun in Sutton Coldfield. Must remember to take a map next time;  touchscreen navigation in the drizzle is a pain.

« Reply #21197 on: 02 August, 2017, 07:45:04 pm »
Timed this one all wrong. It started raining just as I turned out of our street, that fine penetrating rain that has you soaked in no time at all. I was wet through after riding just three miles when it stopped. I'd almost warmed up at 15 miles when it started again. Stuck it out to finish with 25 wet, windy and hilly miles in 1:40.
It stopped raining just after I got home and it's dry and sunny now.  :facepalm:

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #21198 on: 02 August, 2017, 07:52:04 pm »
I went out yesterday for the first time in at least a month. I'm still knackered!
It was only 30 miles but the rest of the gang have been infected with Triathlon disease and have become super competitive while I've been sitting on my arse at weekends supporting events including, annoyingly, one of the triathlons they competed in.
The 15 minute monsoon didn't help either, but at least they're looking at mudguards now so I won't be stuck on the front while the rest shelter in my flappy rain shadow. (Audax spec 'guards, if I had the legs for Audax).
Everyone's favourite windbreak

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21199 on: 02 August, 2017, 09:58:21 pm »
Been volunteering g at the St Ives LEL control, only 20 miles away, so ridden there and back today and Sunday. Sunday, with that tailwind had me get home ten minutes quicker than I went, not quite as big a difference today.

I think the wind will be stronger tomorrow.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens