Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3896013 times)

TJG

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21225 on: 12 August, 2017, 10:58:57 pm »
Taking the trans pennine trail from our house in Barnsley to friends in York was a nice 100k. Shame I got soaked in the last 15k.A

« Reply #21226 on: 13 August, 2017, 04:17:36 pm »
Gradually building up fixed gear distance, 20 miles this time around the Downs and a ten mile tandem trip to Helfords...

« Reply #21227 on: 13 August, 2017, 06:18:08 pm »
Sunshine, light winds and a full day pass out for the first time this year so it seemed like a good day to try and do my longest ride since 2014.
Got a good start by jumping onto the back of the Cestria CC club run for five miles but they dropped me at Croxdale bank so I was on my own up to Kirk Merrington, Brusselton bank and Piercebridge. Carried on to Barton, Croft and then Neasham where the short, steep climb reminded me I'd been riding for almost 40 miles without food or a rest.
Stopped at Middleton St. George to refill my bottles and scoff a piece of flapjack but i needed something more substantial so stopped again for a Cornish pastie in Sedgefield. Struggled a bit after this stop, feeling that my whole body may go into a cramp spasm at any time but pushed on home for a ride of 71 miles in 4:25.
Need beer, brufen and bed now.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #21228 on: 13 August, 2017, 06:22:37 pm »
5 miles to black park and back on the sun trike .  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #21229 on: 13 August, 2017, 08:02:14 pm »
Mrs. F and I did a ride up the local Big Hill today, the Cairn o'Mount. It was her first go at it, and we got to the top :-)

« Reply #21230 on: 13 August, 2017, 09:14:32 pm »
A very enjoyable 65km with wife and a friend with Sunday lunch about 2/3rds in. Sunny, no wind, perfect cycling weather. My achilles is still a bit sore after LE but hopefully on the mend.

« Reply #21231 on: 13 August, 2017, 09:28:08 pm »
Out into t'Moors for some offroad.

I caught a train over to save myself 25 miles of dull riding on offroad tyres. I'd forgotten how charming the tiny stations along the Esk Valley line are. Commondale - foothpath out, open the gate and chase the sheep off the path, then make sure they don't follow you through the other gate.

The track alongside the railway from Commondale to Castleton is more-or-less what you dream of when you imagine offroad cycling - ridable, no ridiculous gradients, and no traffic. I took this rather than winching myself up Sand Hill Bank, which was the correct choice.

Then I had the pure pleasure of the tracks from Three Howes Rigg to Robin Hood Butts, and the track from Danby Beacon out above Lealholm. I'm not sure either of them are really for road bikes, as you'd be weaving about to pick a line, but on my monster crosser, rolling across the big gravel, they were fantastic.

I punctured on the descent into Lealholm and as it was opposite a tea room, it would have been rude not to. Fully refuelled, I felt like a wander, and discovered a gorgeous bridleway between Great Fryupdale and Little Fryupdale, which was worth the trip in itself.

Only 40 kms, but quality kms, and about 750 metres of climbing.

« Reply #21232 on: 13 August, 2017, 09:33:51 pm »
69km. First on the South Downs Way to Eastbourne, lots of hang gliders and hellos to BHF riders going the other way and felt pretty good for a couple of weeks off and pushed less than last time on the hills.
I then too the seafront road out the other end and then a cycle path to the outskirts. The cycle path was alongside the dual carriageway, with most of the attendant fun but few of the advantages. After a couple of wrong turns and a bit of exploring where the path wasn't I found my way. The Cuckoo Trail followed, which was quiet and easy riding, then through some woods that are obviously popular with horses. I came across a chap having a pee in full view of the woman he was riding with, called out a cheery hello, and he then got all embarrassed  ???  Through the gate that had a bloke sleeping against it last time I came this way, then ice cream to steel myself of the lanes home.
Feeling it now, but feeling good for it (and the recovery curry and beer).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21233 on: 14 August, 2017, 10:05:57 am »
129k, would have been more but I was bored at 40k and the sky was looking kinda angry - even rained on me a couple of times. Cheek. Once I hit the Rhine-Marne canal I couldn't think of anywhere I wanted to go so I turned west along it and found an eatery I hadn't noticed before (it's only been there for several decades, according to the owner). Once group of cyclists already installed, and a couple of other people with electric BSOs.  Had an 'interesting' lunch: an Alsacien hamburger consisting to two rösti - "Swiss hash browns" according to Google - either side of a thick mince patty and topped with two fried eggs. With chips. Copious but managed to move afterwards, which felt heroic.

On west to Saverne afterwards, ~25k of almost dead flat into a freshening wind, down on the drops with heart hitting max (see above, under 'lunch') to maintain cruising speed, then turned north along the base of the hills. Funny thing about hills: they manage to flip the wind every which way. When I was following them the WNW breeze managed to flip to NE, which was aggravating, but when I moved away I finally got a bit of a push. Storks in every field where there weren't crops, it seemed - they're more numerous than ever this year; as are flies, yetch.  Sun finally appeared and I even got a bit pink where I'd forgotten to put my watch on.

Stopped again at ~90k for ice cream and coffee. While I was there, three little Turkish kids went in: when they came out again the two eldest had cornets and the youngest one had a trembling lower lip. I asked why the wee fellow hadn't got one and he nearly dissolved in tears, whereupon the eldest said "not enough money" and the next down offered him a lick.  I got my wallet out and offered to get him one, whereupon they all took off round the corner - parental propaganda at work re strange men.  They came back five minutes later, though, and bought him one.  All well.

Went home from there by the flattest route I could think of.  Quite satisfying exercise but I'm getting fed up riding around here. I'm vaguely thinking of riding down Châteauroux way to see my son. It's about 800 km - could be fun and I'd actually be going somewhere new.  The way my legs feels today, though, I've a bit more training to do.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

essexian

« Reply #21234 on: 14 August, 2017, 10:27:05 am »
Made a major mistake yesterday afternoon by heading to Cannock Chase: really, I should know better!

My day started with a large case of CBA but come 2pm and several hours of moaning by CBH later, I headed out for a few miles and a few hills. Given that Cannock Chase contains both, including Camp Hill which I have never gotten up in one go (until yesterday) I headed there. What I should have taken into account was that, despite the fact that the whole of the Chase is a 40mph zone, the traffic was heavy and stupidly quick, including a Range Rover Sports which nearly took me out as they could not be bothered to give me any space.  It did get me thinking that the Chase would be much better if "they" banned traffic from there, for at least a few days per year.....however, that's as likely as me winning the Tour!

So, given the danger I felt I was in at times, I cut the ride short doing only 20km  with 350m worth of climbing in an hour.

Sharing roads infested with stupid drivers is depressing. As is the 156 Deer's killed on the roads thereabouts in 2015.

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #21235 on: 14 August, 2017, 01:59:37 pm »
21 miles on the MTB this morning :-)
Steady at 15

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #21236 on: 14 August, 2017, 07:57:15 pm »
Attempted a DIY by GPS with Graeme but got really dehydrated and ended up being sick and dry heaving. On a really good descent. Had to bail after 145 km or so.

So I'm still not a randonneur :'(
Milk please, no sugar.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #21237 on: 14 August, 2017, 07:59:20 pm »
The plan was about 50 miles in a loop to the west but a rain-delayed start reduced that to about 32 with a stop for a pub lunch.
Just for a change I took the old 1975 Galaxy rather than either of the Van Nic Ti machines I've been riding - not been out on it for about 14 months, it was wonderful . . . a bit like putting on an old, well-worn pair of cord trousers :thumbsup:

Rob

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21238 on: 14 August, 2017, 08:18:42 pm »
Oh no? Pretty sure I remember you and mcs reminiscing about some audax you did. So even if it was only once, just after the Crimean War, that makes you a randonneur. Pretty sure that even if you never actually did do that you're a cyclist. So if you really want the randonneur experience, just get up at 1 a.m., put on a pair of sandals and "waterproof" socks, cycle down to a 24-hour garage and sit on the forecourt eating a cold Ginster's. Revel in the romance of the randonneur road-ripping life!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #21239 on: 14 August, 2017, 08:41:14 pm »
Oh no? Pretty sure I remember you and mcs reminiscing about some audax you did. So even if it was only once, just after the Crimean War, that makes you a randonneur. Pretty sure that even if you never actually did do that you're a cyclist.So if you really want the randonneur experience, just get up at 1 a.m., put on a pair of sandals and "waterproof" socks, cycle down to a 24-hour garage and sit on the forecourt eating a cold Ginster's. Revel in the romance of the randonneur road-ripping life!

Those are kind words Cudzo. Fact is , I've never got round a
200km event in time to collect any points ☹️
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #21240 on: 14 August, 2017, 09:08:47 pm »
Oh no! I saw Graeme's Strava post and thought you had bagged your first points. :(

You're not far off. If it wasn't for that stoopid closed A1 bridge you'd've got round the one in March fine. You'll get there :)

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #21241 on: 15 August, 2017, 12:20:02 am »
Points shmoints.  Fidgetbuzz did his first PBP in his 60s, I believe... you've plenty of time to catch him up.

I did go out.  4 days inna row, a mini cyclecamping tour totalling 56annahalf miles.  This is the first time I've posted (or even read!) this thread in about 6 months....

« Reply #21242 on: 15 August, 2017, 06:37:53 am »
Tour du Limousin starts today so I shall head out and do a bit of the route before they get near catching me up! 
Move Faster and Bake Things

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #21243 on: 15 August, 2017, 05:15:25 pm »
Having converted my Dawes Horizon (2008 vintage) from Commuting to Gravel (removing mudguards, and fitting 700x40 Schwable Land cruisers), I went for a nice 25k spin down to Dalgety Bay via Fordel, then along the coastal path to Inverkeithing, round past the scrap yard, then along the coast to North Queensferry and then back home via Rosyth.   :thumbsup:

Bike handle the rough stuff like a dream, even with Carradice Super C Front Panniers on the rear rack, and a bar bag! A good shake down for my trip to Skye at the end of the week!  I figured tyres such as 42mm land cruisers will give me more cycling options than the 32mm Marathons previously fitted.   :thumbsup:

I'll upload photies once I get them off the mobile phone and onto the interwebs.

Beautiful bike by the way, Deano!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: What bike is it? Looks good with down tube shifters and v-brakes!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #21244 on: 15 August, 2017, 06:06:58 pm »
Out into t'Moors ...

I need to get out and see some of that Purple!
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21245 on: 15 August, 2017, 08:01:16 pm »
I did go out.  4 days inna row, a mini cyclecamping tour totalling 56annahalf miles.

This TAAW.  Well done SmallestCub.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #21246 on: 15 August, 2017, 08:03:11 pm »
Tour du Limousin starts today so I shall head out and do a bit of the route before they get near catching me up!

Except it was raining rather hard and I wimped out. Maybe tomorrow..
Move Faster and Bake Things

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21247 on: 15 August, 2017, 08:19:01 pm »
Attempted a DIY by GPS with Graeme but got really dehydrated and ended up being sick and dry heaving. On a really good descent. Had to bail after 145 km or so.

Does that matter? I am, but I didn't like it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21248 on: 15 August, 2017, 09:12:16 pm »
50-odd km on the recumbent Sunday, nothing special.  Kettlebell workout yesterday. Legs hurt today, as do other parts
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #21249 on: 15 August, 2017, 09:53:13 pm »
Having converted my Dawes Horizon (2008 vintage) from Commuting to Gravel (removing mudguards, and fitting 700x40 Schwable Land cruisers), I went for a nice 25k spin down to Dalgety Bay via Fordel, then along the coastal path to Inverkeithing, round past the scrap yard, then along the coast to North Queensferry and then back home via Rosyth.   :thumbsup:

Bike handle the rough stuff like a dream, even with Carradice Super C Front Panniers on the rear rack, and a bar bag! A good shake down for my trip to Skye at the end of the week!  I figured tyres such as 42mm land cruisers will give me more cycling options than the 32mm Marathons previously fitted.   :thumbsup:

I'll upload photies once I get them off the mobile phone and onto the interwebs.

Beautiful bike by the way, Deano!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: What bike is it? Looks good with down tube shifters and v-brakes!

Cheers Brian! You doing Dave C's Borders of Fife next month?

It... well, I could spend pages on its history, but it started life as an early eighties Peugeot Dakar. Very much modified/repaired/welded back together in India. The only original bits are the top tube, head tube, downtube and rear stays.