Author Topic: Ghent  (Read 8266 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Ghent
« on: 12 December, 2016, 07:10:16 pm »
[Edited for clarity] I'm planning a route from Bruges towards eastern Belgium, preferably avoiding busy areas but online mapping tools are trying to take me through Ghent.

Strava suggests taking the cyclepath that runs alongside the ring road (R4) following the canal round the edge of town, RideWithGPS suggests going straight through the centre. Neither look particularly appealing. Bypassing the city to the north doesn't look viable due to a general lack of bridges. Bypassing to the south would add a lot of miles.

Probably passing through on a Saturday afternoon.

Anyone with knowledge of the city have any suggestions?

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Re: Ghent
« Reply #1 on: 12 December, 2016, 07:37:55 pm »
There's a ferry at the north which we used in September - give me a mo' and i'll dig out the track. ..

« Reply #2 on: 12 December, 2016, 07:47:49 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 12 December, 2016, 08:07:11 pm »
have you looked at http://cycle.travel/map ?

« Reply #4 on: 12 December, 2016, 08:18:37 pm »
Is there a reason why you want to actually go into Ghent? Otherwise I'd follow the N9 road bike path to just before Eeklo, then drop onto the Schipdonk canal bike path to the Deinze  area then skirt around the south of the City through Merelbeke.
Having said that I would be happy to ride straight into and through Ghent; N9  has a bike path although I'd go via Zomergem for old-times' sake ( Mrs Deanes) , but riding in Belgian towns is fine if you are confident on the pave. The traffic is used to bikes and respectful.

citoyen

« Reply #5 on: 12 December, 2016, 09:29:31 pm »
This ferry: https://www.mapquest.com/belgium/business-gent/gent-zeehaven-oost-doornzele-301539364

Excellent! That looks perfect.

Our route was this: https://www.strava.com/activities/702580307

Thanks for that. The first bit along the canal from Bruges is pretty much exactly the same as what I had planned. Detouring via the ferry looks like a very attractive option.  :thumbsup:

have you looked at http://cycle.travel/map ?

I have now! Not seen that site before, thanks for the link. Looks extremely useful.  :thumbsup:

Is there a reason why you want to actually go into Ghent?

The exact opposite. I want to get from Bruges to eastern Belgium and the various online routing tools are insisting I go via Ghent (or Antwerp). Ideally, I want to avoid very busy areas - unless that means going a long way out of my way.

Otherwise I'd follow the N9 road bike path to just before Eeklo, then drop onto the Schipdonk canal bike path to the Deinze  area then skirt around the south of the City through Merelbeke.

Thanks for the tip. I was trying to work out a route via Deinze but it was all getting a bit messy.

Having said that I would be happy to ride straight into and through Ghent

Yeah, it doesn't look too bad - might just take a bit of planning with Google Street View. The site linked to by andrew_s suggests a route through the centre of Ghent that looks OK.

« Reply #6 on: 12 December, 2016, 10:06:02 pm »
If you want Antwerpen I'd go via Damme or thereabouts , onto Leopold canal, then across the southern Netherlands (. Great small roads and little traffic) , Philippine area ( famous world mussels capital), Sas van Gent , across Schipdonk, then Antwerpen.

citoyen

« Reply #7 on: 12 December, 2016, 10:20:58 pm »
If you want Antwerpen...

I want to avoid busy areas, if possible.

« Reply #8 on: 12 December, 2016, 10:38:45 pm »
If you want Antwerpen...

I want to avoid busy areas, if possible.

Yes, but that's the area you said you were aiming for. Keep to the Was towns such as Beveren Was. All cycle patched.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9 on: 12 December, 2016, 11:10:47 pm »

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 13 December, 2016, 11:33:00 am »
Is there a reason why you want to actually go into Ghent?

The exact opposite. I want to get from Bruges to eastern Belgium and the various online routing tools are insisting I go via Ghent (or Antwerp). Ideally, I want to avoid very busy areas - unless that means going a long way out of my way.
Can you be any more specific than "eastern Belgium" ??

It's quite hard to avoid Antwerp centre without quite a long detour - I know your heart is set on the place, but I found it the worst of the biggies that I've ridden through. I think because it's the newest - or at least we seemed to be routed down newish roads/infrastructure on the BofB1K - whereas the other towns have a lot more charm.

Talking of the BofB1K ... apart from the crossing of Antwerp, pretty much all the route was enjoyable, so I'd recommend lifting any section (it's very googlable). Especially if you want to go round the border, and not spend all your time in city centres ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #11 on: 13 December, 2016, 11:43:19 am »
Can you be any more specific than "eastern Belgium" ??

This is part of the 'Four Countries 600' DIY (Dunkirk-Aachen-Dunkirk) that I'm planning to do in May along with a few clubmates. It'll be off the ferry early doors, Bruges for breakfast then press on to Aachen. Then a different route for the return leg, going south of Brussels, possibly with a sleep stop at Namur.

After much wrangling well into the small hours of this morning, I think I've come up with a solution using one of the ferries north of Ghent (thanks again for the pointer, Deano) - I would post a link to the route for your scrutiny but sodding Garmin Connect site seems to be down at the moment.

Having dealt with Ghent and avoided Brussels and Antwerp, the next major urban obstacle to negotiate is Maastricht...

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 13 December, 2016, 11:46:06 am »
Yes, but that's the area you said you were aiming for.

No, that's where the online route mapping software is trying to make me go, against my wishes!

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 13 December, 2016, 11:50:26 am »
It's quite hard to avoid Antwerp centre without quite a long detour - I know your heart is set on the place

::-)

;D

Talking of the BofB1K ... apart from the crossing of Antwerp, pretty much all the route was enjoyable, so I'd recommend lifting any section (it's very googlable). Especially if you want to go round the border, and not spend all your time in city centres ;)

Googling for "BofB1K" doesn't turn up much that's any use - what's the full name of the event? Got it - Borders of Belgium. Thanks for the tip. I'll see if there's anything I can nick from the route... Looks like a ride I probably ought to consider for 2018, assuming it's running again.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: 13 December, 2016, 11:53:33 am »
I don't know if I trust anything created by "DaleFTW", but anyway:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjL-tu1jfHQAhVCtRoKHdChCpIQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fridewithgps.com%2Froutes%2F14464749&usg=AFQjCNFSBcEVuaCcs1l-2fatcQmI5pD59Q

Borders of Belgium 1000km Audax
Created Jun 16, 16
By: DaleFTW 

(Other versions are available).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #15 on: 13 December, 2016, 12:04:21 pm »
I don't know if I trust anything created by "DaleFTW"

Thanks. DaleFTW is one of our own, so I'd trust him!

citoyen

« Reply #16 on: 13 December, 2016, 12:07:39 pm »
Here's my Bruges-Mechelen route, avoiding Ghent:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/14085060

Might need further fine-tuning but it looks mostly ok on Street View (NB I'm not set on going through Mechelen, that's just a convenient point to end the section pending onward planning decisions).

« Reply #17 on: 13 December, 2016, 05:34:11 pm »
You really have no need to be put off by the Gent ring road R4.  It's not like a British ring road!!.

The cycle path is separated from the traffic by a wide grass verge and crash barriers.  The two carriageways of the road are separated by a wide Schipdonck.

The are a couple of places where roads come from the city centre on to the R4, but as a cyclist you have absolute priority.  As you approach an intersection you can hear the traffic slowing down so as not to cross the slip road and they will come to a stop at least 5 seconds before you get there on your bike.

The whole section of R4 you will need to navigate is less than 30 minutes.

We cycle Bruges to Gent several times a year on our many visits to the area.  You can do the whole journey along canal paths without interacting with traffic at all.

Keith

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 13 December, 2016, 06:36:01 pm »
I don't know if I trust anything created by "DaleFTW"

Thanks. DaleFTW is one of our own
That's the problem!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #19 on: 14 December, 2016, 01:11:04 am »
I'd recommend going through Antwerp! I think Matt was the only rider on the Borders of Belgium who didn't enjoy it. You get the fabulous Jules Verne-esque tunnel under the Scheldt, and all the thrill of city centre riding without the bonkers traffic of, say, London. Or Brussels. Don't ride through Brussels. Antwerp's very industrial at the east, but there's nowt wrong with that. 

Not to mention, it's really easy to get food/drink etc in Antwerp, and you can then follow the Albert Canal out east towards Maastricht.

Dale certainly enjoyed Antwerp:

Check out the guy behind Dale in the second pic - I'll bet he's there every day.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 14 December, 2016, 11:56:08 am »
It was a brilliant tunnel.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

citoyen

« Reply #21 on: 14 December, 2016, 09:16:02 pm »
You really have no need to be put off by the Gent ring road R4.  It's not like a British ring road!!.

;D Point taken!

I'm sure it's fine. I looked at it on Street View and it didn't look lovely but you make a good point about only being on that bit of road for a very short time, so it's really not worth making a long detour to avoid. Some of the convoluted junctions put me off a bit, but I'm sure they're fine as well.

citoyen

« Reply #22 on: 14 December, 2016, 09:16:25 pm »

citoyen

« Reply #23 on: 14 December, 2016, 09:21:56 pm »
I'd recommend going through Antwerp!

The pics certainly don't put me off. Maybe I will go that way after all. Still got plenty of time to work on the details of the route.

The middle of Ghent looks like it has a lot more in the way of narrow streets which could make progress slow, but maybe that isn't worth worrying about either. After all, part of the appeal in doing this ride abroad is that the roads and the attitude to cyclists aren't like the UK...

It was really a comment from one of my clubmates that made me think about trying to avoid town centres but I'll have to talk to him some more about that to find out what his concerns are. He's an odd fish anyway - if he came along, he would probably spend most of his time riding fast up the road on his own then stopping to wait for us every so often. That's what he does on club rides.

Definitely will avoid Brussels though.

« Reply #24 on: 14 December, 2016, 10:20:18 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about the centre of Ghent as it's all car free just watch out for the trams. I was there in November to watch the 6 day track racing and it's the most cycle friendly place I have ever been to. Worth a visit just to see what can be done with a bit of political will.