Author Topic: 2017. How will it be for you?  (Read 12966 times)

2017. How will it be for you?
« on: 31 December, 2016, 11:31:11 pm »
Now's a good time for the companion post to essexian's.

My current plans are to visit some new places:

Feb: Andalucía: Málaga, Granada, Córdoba & Sevilla
April: Grand tour of the Balkans: Sofia to the Adriatic and back in a big loop
Summer: Baltics: Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia

Several others on the wishlist: Georgia, Iran, Atlas Mountains.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Re: 2017. How will it be for you?
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2017, 12:02:37 am »
I want to some Bike/tarp/trailer touring in Scotlandshire. All depends on finances.. The Mind is Willing but the Wallet is weak!
Stop buying crap and stop selling Oograh to get by. Live within my means.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2017, 09:51:38 am »
Ho ho ho. No real idea.  Need to train up to full form again, which is weather-dependent. Also looking at (a big) several thousand euros' worth of lawyers' & accountants' bills for closing our company, not to mention taxes and social charges which are paid a year in arrears in France, so finances for doing anything fun are likely to be sparse.  In any case, now that there's nobody else in the house I'm not keen on the idea of leaving my wife alone for a week while I'm off having fun.

WRT cycling my main plan is to get up to 200k level by mid-March and see if I'll be capable of anything greater.  I've been avoiding mountains this last year and that's where I usually build my stamina, so once they're ice-free I'll be attacking our local pimples and hoping.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

essexian

« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2017, 10:16:00 am »
Got some plans already including cycling to Market Drayton next weekend to see the MIGHTY Penkridge FC take on the towns "Tigers"....  ;D

After that, I have signed up for the Wiggle No Excuses sportive in Feb, and at the end of April, the Conway Grand Fido (I know.... I know my climbing is so crap that I will make a dogs dinner out of it). A week later, I have the 75 mile Norfolk sportive. That is likely to be my longest ride for many, many a year! I am also keeping my eyes open for some local reliability rides and the Nova Raiders Route 66 sportive. 

After that, I will do the Foundation Audax around Crewe: I tend to do this every year and then a slow build up to the Ride London....if I manage to get a charity place with my employer. If not, then a couple of longer rides. I really must knock off 100km and 200km rides this year as if I don't, then I am really not progressing.

Finally, I would like to do a long weekend tour. I am thinking about the Cambrian Coast in September.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 01 January, 2017, 10:33:05 am »
Not much riding to start with, mostly walking and physio through February so that future riding isn't too compromised.

Hopefully build up to 300km fitness by the end of March and then Fleche Velocio and LWL400 in April. BCM600 in May and Le Galibier 600 UAF in June. Change 1000 UAF and LEL in July.

The rest of the year is up in the air, though there are lots of possibilities. Diagonales, Fleches de France and a Super Randonnee have been on the want-to-do list for a fair while. A South African 1000 BRM looks tempting. I need to go proper touring at some point. It has been too many years since the last time.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: 01 January, 2017, 10:38:42 am »
In my case, aiming for "more and further" isn't really a statement of anything much after the last few years. 52 rides would be more than any of the last three years. 

Not the Audax board, but I'm not going to do LEL. I'd like to do a first 300 though.

Where to?
I really enjoyed the southern part of the Coast and Castles ride in 2015. Need to work out when, but I'm going to make the northern part my biggish ride this year.
The South Downs Way is unfinished business too.

« Reply #6 on: 01 January, 2017, 11:18:46 am »
In a word (well, two words) "unknown quantity".

Until the end of October my targets were unequivocally "LEL and a crack at R10000", and I got off to a good start with 12 points by 5 November. However, an operation the following week has largely kept me off my bike since, though this should be my final non-cycling week before resuming. And on top of the medical hiatus, family and work commitments and circumstances now mean that I won't be able to take a week off solely for cycling in 2017 so LEL will have to wait until 2021.

My target now? To get back up to 200k fitness before the end of January, to do one 600k each month March to September, and to see whether I can squeeze enough other rides in in 8 months to get that elusive R10000. I'm also going to devise and ride a 500k DIY for no better reason than I fancy giving that distance a try.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #7 on: 01 January, 2017, 01:27:31 pm »
I'm well out of shape & overweight  >:(    Got to start doing regular exercise again with weekend day rides instead of just slobbing around. 

Tours ?  Coast & Castles covers an area I don't know.  Possibly do a C2C and then follow that up to Edinburgh ? 

Abroad , possibly over to France again.  Roughly follow the Seine via Rouen to Monet's house & gardens at Giverny,  then down to Chartres for a nose around the cathedral before looping back to the coast for a ferry home. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #8 on: 01 January, 2017, 02:33:49 pm »
Nothing as grand as some of you, but I just want to maintain my consistency (and weight) as I have for the past 2 years.

I would like to do another 200km, just to see if I can do it again.  I would like to do some shorter rides in the summer that are a mix of on and off road, rather than just road after work, but this is dependent upon family commitments which a struggle between an aging parent and young family. The latter is only for a few more years as I am sure they will start doing their own things and I would rather not have any regrets with respect to them.

« Reply #9 on: 01 January, 2017, 03:21:31 pm »
Back to the Lakes for me.

Have not ridden off road for a few years, so it is time to do some mountain biking again. Fond memories of carrying my bike across many un-rideable passes.

It was hell at the time, but character building.

« Reply #10 on: 01 January, 2017, 06:55:32 pm »
Current plans:
  • June / July - 5ish week trip from St Malo along the Loire, across to the Moselle and home
  • Sept - possibly Essex to Liverpool the long way, ie via Oxford and Shropshire
  • Deano's Don't Keep to the Road Audax....depending on my fitness
  • Trips in the campervan
  • ......so much to do, so little time / money

« Reply #11 on: 01 January, 2017, 09:10:22 pm »
So far i got 5-6 major events planned. I really hope to get in on some of them.

Mont Ventox Cingles
London to Paris with HotChillee
Tenerife - Mount Teide
Mille du Sud 1000km

« Reply #12 on: 01 January, 2017, 09:37:28 pm »
i am hoping to do the long itch tour in may ,the york rally in june milldenhall in august and any forum rides i can get to . i would like to cover more miles than i managed last year . :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #13 on: 03 January, 2017, 10:15:13 am »

Having been to Georgia it was at the same time one of the places I would have loved to cycle in, and the single place I would not.

The scenery is just knockout. Unfortunately so are the drivers, the worst I have ever seen bar none.  This was six+ years ago now, and I wouldn't mind riding the flat bits (although the roads were in truly shockingly bad condition) but the mountain roads are lethal, frequently even in a car. No day passed by when we didn't see at least one serious crash. Overtaking or plain driving on the "wrong" side (including hairpins) was commonplace. Road barriers non-existent, drops precipitous. Relatively few cyclists.

For my part I know I want to go ride SOMEWHERE in 2017, just not sure where or when.....

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #14 on: 03 January, 2017, 08:38:25 pm »
Well 2016 saw me back on wheels, managed 750 miles in about nine months. So my mission for 2017 is to beat that in six months.

Which means I will have to ride more than 30 miles a week for the next 25 weeks, or there about ... Hmmm I'll better get on with it then.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #15 on: 03 January, 2017, 09:36:56 pm »

For my part I know I want to go ride SOMEWHERE in 2017, just not sure where or when.....

A plan is beginning to coalesce.

Airport := LondonCity
Decided := 0
FlightsMostDays := Essential
WHILE !decided
  SEEK Airport.destination
    For Airport.destination with FlightsMostDays
      IF TemperatureInEndApril == Warm
          Radius := Airport.Destination+700 Km
          End.Destination := Radius WHERE EndDestination == HalfwayIntersting
          Route.Interest := ClimbingButNotTooMuch
     ENDIF
ENDWHILE

PRINT Variables

Airport.Destination = Madrid
End.Destination = Porto
route.Interest = Duoro Valley
decided = 0.75

« Reply #16 on: 04 January, 2017, 07:33:27 am »
Plan for this year is around the UK again, but clockwise this time.

« Reply #17 on: 04 January, 2017, 07:57:28 am »

PRINT Variables

End.Destination = Porto
decided = 0.75     

Sounds good! I'm not sure how your program works with booleans holding floating point values though. More seriously, how do you organise a trip like that with a start and end?

Having been to Georgia it was at the same time one of the places I would have loved to cycle in, and the single place I would not.

The scenery is just knockout. Unfortunately so are the drivers, the worst I have ever seen bar none. 

It's more an aspiration than a definite plan at the moment. The trip would probably involve flying into Tblisi, ride south through Armenia, then use the north part of Iran to gain entry to Azerbaijan, then back to Georgia. Thanks for your comments, and I realise it may well be challenging. However, things can appear very different from inside a vehicle to what they are like on a bike. I was very strongly warned against cycling in Romania by everyone I spoke to from the country, and it turned out to be one of the best places I've ever cycled. Similar for many other places I've cycled.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18 on: 04 January, 2017, 08:13:55 am »

Airport := LondonCity
Decided := 0
FlightsMostDays := Essential
WHILE !decided
  SEEK Airport.destination
    For Airport.destination with FlightsMostDays
      IF TemperatureInEndApril == Warm
          Radius := Airport.Destination+700 Km
          End.Destination := Radius WHERE EndDestination == HalfwayIntersting
          Route.Interest := ClimbingButNotTooMuch
     ENDIF
ENDWHILE

PRINT Variables

End.Destination = Porto
decided = 0.75

This needs to figure in there somewhere:

End.SomewhereICanGetHomeFrom  := End.Destination.Airport != NULL && End.Destination.Airport.FlightsMostdays

Looks good all the same.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #19 on: 04 January, 2017, 09:15:25 am »
I'd like to make a YACF ride or two - possibly even Long Itch. Also finally do a 200. And I'd like to do a mini-tour Calais-Bruges-Antwerp-Hook of Holland, but that will very much depend on OH's schedule. And indeed on having a working bike built up...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #20 on: 04 January, 2017, 10:45:06 am »
Now's a good time for the companion post to essexian's.

My current plans are to visit some new places:

Feb: Andalucía: Málaga, Granada, Córdoba & Sevilla
April: Grand tour of the Balkans: Sofia to the Adriatic and back in a big loop
Summer: Baltics: Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia

I did a similar route this year: Sofia towards the Adriatic as far as Skopje and then turning north through Mostar to Austria (riding backwards along the TCR route and bumping into hippy and Frank along the way).  Message me if you want any info.

« Reply #21 on: 04 January, 2017, 10:50:33 am »

PRINT Variables

End.Destination = Porto
decided = 0.75     

Sounds good! I'm not sure how your program works with booleans holding floating point values though. More seriously, how do you organise a trip like that with a start and end?

Cycling to the airport provides the flexibility to come back to somewhere else, I map using Google and RideWithGPS, looking for towns roughly 100 - 120Km apart for overnight stops, keeping an eye on the elevation along the way. Spain is excellent for hotels letting you take bikes into your room, it will be a credit card tour with about 10kg in the panniers.

The scenery is just knockout. Unfortunately so are the drivers, the worst I have ever seen bar none. 

It's more an aspiration than a definite plan at the moment. The trip would probably involve flying into Tblisi, ride south through Armenia, then use the north part of Iran to gain entry to Azerbaijan, then back to Georgia. Thanks for your comments, and I realise it may well be challenging. However, things can appear very different from inside a vehicle to what they are like on a bike. I was very strongly warned against cycling in Romania by everyone I spoke to from the country, and it turned out to be one of the best places I've ever cycled. Similar for many other places I've cycled.

Now that's sounding a lot better. Deffo wouldn't be as adamant about riding on the flatter bits. To provide some reference, the Caucuses run along the north of the country, and that's the scenery to die for and where you just might on a bike, Tusheti etc is astonishing. There's another range of mountains that runs north south leaving the eastern plain as a desert. While the drivers are bad, I'd only seriously worry in the mountain areas where the road conditions and drivers create a perfect storm.

Here is a selection of photos, starting off with Tblisi, then David Gareji (eastern plain by Azerbaijan, monastery/cave paintings), then off to the mountains, then to Batumi on the Black Sea.

There are many, many more photos if you are interested.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #22 on: 04 January, 2017, 11:20:24 am »
In what ways was the Georgian driving bad?  What particular manoeuvres did they like to pull?  In Bosnia, for instance, I remember the main habit was to overtake and then not pull back into your own lane, despite an oncoming Bunbury. 

I see there were some big dogs in one of your photos.  What were they like?  Were they worse in the mountains?  How did they vary between the countries?

Also, were you with Mrs Ham and how did she find it as a female traveller?

Cheers!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #23 on: 04 January, 2017, 11:52:58 am »
Well I've started 2017 off the bike with impact bursitis in the right hip thanks to black ice after Christmas, but that shouldn't be a barrier to things once I get back on the bike in a few weeks time.  I don't have major plans but a couple of cute ones.

Hoping my client in Basel will want me out there in June so I can fit this in....

https://goo.gl/maps/Ay2LNXqHaCK2

Firstly to prove that you can find hills in Switzerland without going to the Alps, secondly to prove that the Europeans have roads with Lake District and South Hams gradients, and thirdly because its a magnificent place to go cycling.

The other plan is to do an Audax permanent that visits all the Whichurches in the UK (there's 11 of them) and it takes me to all my favourite cycling places - firstly through Wessex SR territory, and then across Dartmoor and back, before going into Cambrian Series territory, revisiting part of the Mersey Roads course, and then returning for more local Audax territory.  1300km with stays in travelodges.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #24 on: 04 January, 2017, 03:34:41 pm »
In what ways was the Georgian driving bad?  What particular manoeuvres did they like to pull?  In Bosnia, for instance, I remember the main habit was to overtake and then not pull back into your own lane, despite an oncoming Bunbury. 

I see there were some big dogs in one of your photos.  What were they like?  Were they worse in the mountains?  How did they vary between the countries?

Also, were you with Mrs Ham and how did she find it as a female traveller?

Cheers!

In what ways. Ahhh. Let me count the ways.

On the straight,  driving on the wrong side overtaking is common (a la Bunbury targeting). You might think, that would result in accidents. It does. Most roads are two lane,  on busy inter-town roads bikes generally womble on the sides. In towns, with the tarmac roads cars drive much too fast. Some roads in Tblisi are virtually impossible to cross on foot.

The road condition is very relevant, while we were there it was quite evident that there had been close to zero investment in infrastructure since the Soviets pulled out. Habitually drivers avoid the holes irrespective of what else might be about. You may find it difficult to comprehend just how bad the roads are, the main road from Kutaisi (the 2nd largest city) to Ushguli (their mountain "holiday" centre) even local drivers can only do about 5mph. They were repairing that "two lane" road while we were there, without closing, without signals. The improved road will almost certainly be more dangerous. Given how little we were on Georgian roads (driven not driving), the number of crashes we saw was phenomenal, it is that more than anything else that makes me say how dangerous it is, much more so than China, India, Thailand. And I'm not counting the minibus load of people that fell off the side of a mountain and were killed, as alcohol was likely involved.

Dogs. There's another story. The Georgian sheepdog has a reputation as the fiercest out, they protect their flocks against wolves. Let me fill in the background to the photo of the dog you saw.

A couple of days earlier we had headed out with our guide towards Tusheti. He dropped us off on the way and pointed us up a ridge (think the mountain scene in Perfume - absolute heaven) saying he'd see us at the end, only piece of advice to us:if you see a flock of sheep, walk the other way. Well. we did see a flock. Only, it was on the ridge coming towards us. We are at around 2,800m at this stage, I generally respect mountains. We ended up going down off piste, and it was rather hairy. There are no photos of the descent, bu there is one once we got to the bottom. That load of snow? It's a snow bridge over a ravine, and it was around 25o. Anyhow, coming back a couple of days later we passed a flock of sheep, nearby. That was probably the same flock. Those dogs in the picture? They had just attacked the fucking car, one tried to kill the spare tyre. So yeah, another reason not to ride that part on a bike but one that took a while to explain ;)

Generally OK for Mrs Ham, it is a christian country, women generally well respected, which likely helps.

ETA - the dogs are only in the mountains in the North, where there are few/zero people and quite a few sheep and wolves.