Author Topic: Yerba Mate and Cycling  (Read 2251 times)

Yerba Mate and Cycling
« on: 24 January, 2017, 08:17:53 pm »
There are arguments that, apart from the social aspect of drinking coffee, it can enhance our cycling performance. How about the South American beverage 'Yerba Mate'? It is the leaf of Ilex paraguariensis which if you aren't a gardener, this is Paraguayan Holly

http://guayaki.com/mate/130/Yerba-Mate.html

I've just started drinking it, so I can't say what I think yet. Does anyone on here drink it? And if you do: Do you experience any benefits you can link in with your cycling?

ian

Re: Yerba Mate and Cycling
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2017, 10:58:36 pm »
No idea, but a goodly snort of crystal meth gets you up a hill like a rocket.

Re: Yerba Mate and Cycling
« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2017, 07:33:13 am »
Woolly loves it. He tried it first on our tour in South America and has been experimenting with different types of maté since. We're pretty sure that it has contributed to his recovery from CFS/ME, along with drinking Quebra Pedra tea. It certainly chills him out.

Yerba Mate and Cycling
« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2017, 04:10:51 pm »
Woolly loves it. He tried it first on our tour in South America and has been experimenting with different types of maté since. We're pretty sure that it has contributed to his recovery from CFS/ME, along with drinking Quebra Pedra tea. It certainly chills him out.

This is great. Ive read there are loads of health benefits. It's still early days for me. One thing I've really noticed is that it seems to stave off any hunger urges. I guess thIs could help some people. Because of the type of work I do, the anti inflammatory properties are of interest.

I've just received another kilogram of yerba mate. You get wise and I've found a supplier in the U.K. Who sells it much cheaper than I first found. I'm curing a gourd, but for the time being, I'm using a mead vessel which is the same shape.

I discovered I haven't been making it strong enough and I can really 'feel' the effect of the matteine kicking in. I've been felling trees today and took along a carb drink I use for cycling with half water and half yerba mate. Very tasty.

Another thing I like is that you find not get furry teeth like you do with coffee.