Author Topic: End to End perm: 7 x 200km Randonneur (aka LEJoG)  (Read 12600 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
End to End perm: 7 x 200km Randonneur (aka LEJoG)
« on: 23 May, 2017, 07:52:35 pm »
I have done a decent amount of cycle touring and randonnes, some abroad and some in the UK but I've still not ridden from Land's End to John O'Groats. 2017 may be the year. I'm not interested in doing it as a one off 1,400 km Brevet Randonneur (especially as this will be post LEL), but the idea of 7x 200 km rides seems eminently do-able with a lightweight touring set up like I used when I cycled to Greece a few years ago. I realise there are rules to be followed if I want to claim points, but hopefully it's not too onerous.

There's some information about the 7 x200 km option on Hummers' website, such as riders have ten days to complete the ride, which therefore allows the possibility of three (non consecutive) rest days and each day must be ≥200 km.

Is validation by GPS OK or is it a case of collecting brevidence from ATMs etc.? Ah, I see the answer is "Organiser can validate rides using gpx tracklogs."  :thumbsup:
Can I use the Gourock to Kilcreggan ferry or McInroy's Point to Hunters Quay ferry to avoid the Scottish central belt? Or even go via Isle of Bute?

Other perms similar to this (such as The Eiger Sanction) have a provided route. I assume in this case I need to figure a suitable route that's seven 200+ km days of riding to get from one end to the other? A quick look at google maps would suggest something like:

Day 1: Land's End to Tiverton
Day 2: Tiverton to Worcester
Day 3: Worcester to family in Wigan (would need to find an extra 30km)
Day 4: Wigan to Dumfries
Day 5: Dumfries to Crianlarich via Greenwock
Day 6: Garelochhead to Inverness / Dingwall / Muir of Ord area
Day 7: Inverness / Dingwall / Muir of Ord area to John o' Groats
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: End to End perm: 7 x 200km Randonneur (aka LEJoG)
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2017, 08:41:29 pm »
It all looks good to me my friend.

For those doing the 7x200 and the BP, LEJoG is about the tour: a time to enjoy the ride and time taken out of your life spent enjoyably.

For those doing the BR 1400, it is about doing a BR 1400.

For those doing the Lumpy End 2 End, it is a time to enjoy fine views along the way.

I think that there is something for everyone.

H

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2017, 09:56:27 pm »
When I did LEJOG I used the Dunoon ferry to avoid the central belt. I managed to get a day that finished in Gourock and then caught the first ferry in the morning. Booking ferries is slightly risky as I found out last year when they were all cancelled due to high winds.

There is a TL just outside Dumfries and a good ride along the plain through Annan where you can avoid the main road.

Good luck you will enjoy it.

BB

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2017, 06:13:52 am »
I island-hopped Arran on my LEJOG to avoid the central belt, using the Ardrossan - Brodick and Lochranza - Claonaig ferries. I'd highly recommend this route, but in doing so I recognise that half the fun is working out your own route.

I have half an eye on another LEJOG, riding it as seven or eight mandatory route DIYs on consecutive days. I assume if I did so I could claim the two points for each of the seven or eight days, but if I am wrong on this it would be great to be put right.
Eddington Number = 132

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2017, 07:21:45 am »
I did LEJOG in 2015 and did the central highlands. If you use the road through Eskdalemuir you go through Edinburgh and then the Forth bridge. Only a small amount of central belt. Oh and make sure you go through Dunning just south of Perth.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2017, 10:45:57 am »
Plenty to think about, including what route to take & accommodation options to go for (take the 800g tent or just suck up cost of Travelodge / B&B etc?).

And how much of a break I want between finishing LEL & starting LEJoG.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #6 on: 24 May, 2017, 10:58:50 am »
Planning on doing 7x200 in September and am quite interested to know whether it is several claims for 2 points or one 14 point claim. Would seem fairer to get two for each day as, if a decisive injury or mechanical were to occur at least some points would be gained.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2017, 01:32:12 pm »
Planning on doing 7x200 in September and am quite interested to know whether it is several claims for 2 points or one 14 point claim. Would seem fairer to get two for each day as, if a decisive injury or mechanical were to occur at least some points would be gained.

If you claim 14 points in one block then you need to finish in 5 days (116 hours I think). I did this the first time I rode LEJOG and did about 300km per day. Enjoyable but harder.

BB

αdαmsκι

« Reply #8 on: 24 May, 2017, 05:43:48 pm »
I think Huff n Puff is asking

"Can I quit after, say, five days of my 7x200 End to End attempt & still claim ten points for the five 200 km rides?"

To which I don't know the answer.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #9 on: 24 May, 2017, 07:24:25 pm »
given that each leg must be over 200km and you earn 7 lots of 2 points, what is the difference between the end to end and just doing 7 DIY by GPS which would not be dependant on completing previous legs.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #10 on: 24 May, 2017, 08:10:02 pm »
[...] Oh and make sure you go through Dunning just south of Perth.

BB

Intrigued by this.

(Sure, Dunning is nice but not sure why it's a must-see if you are riding the length of Britain?)

« Reply #11 on: 24 May, 2017, 08:14:13 pm »
If you are looking at using the ferries I would opt for the McInroys Point to Hunters Quay option the ferries run very regularly (every 20 mins until 7pm then every 30 mins) and run from early until late, weather needs to be really bad before they cancel this one unlike the CalMac ferries.

I live in Gourock so if you need any local info/advice they give me a shout.

Cheers
Robert

αdαmsκι

« Reply #12 on: 24 May, 2017, 09:45:25 pm »
I've sent Hummers my entry fee, have discovered the sleeper trains are a lot cheaper than I was expecting and my sister's able to host me for a night or two in Wigan.

Next step will be to start nailing down a route.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #13 on: 24 May, 2017, 10:22:38 pm »

BB

Intrigued by this.

(Sure, Dunning is nice but not sure why it's a must-see if you are riding the length of Britain?)
The road from Muckhart to Dunning is a lovely road. Just stands out in my memory for some reason.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: 25 May, 2017, 10:02:46 am »

"Can I quit after, say, five days of my 7x200 End to End attempt & still claim ten points for the five 200 km rides?"

That's exactly the point. I expect to be on something close to 100 points if all my planned rides are completed this season and it could make a difference to the 100 points award if, say, I did 6x200s and got no points leaving me on, say, 90 points instead of 102.

In answer to Wycombe's question: to enter the End to End award one submits a fee to Hummers and I don't believe submitting 7x200s to Paul Stewart would make one eligible for the End to End award would it? I wonder if I could double up and enter both ways as an insurance policy and only claim one afterwards? Hmmm.....

« Reply #15 on: 26 May, 2017, 12:40:37 pm »

BB

Intrigued by this.

The road from Muckhart to Dunning is a lovely road. Just stands out in my memory for some reason.

Nice, it's funny how things just stick out for some reason. I think it's those moments that are just about the best thing about riding a bike actually.

It's ages since I have been out that way and it's just down the road, Might see about doing that soon.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #16 on: 29 May, 2017, 09:50:00 pm »

That's exactly the point. I expect to be on something close to 100 points if all my planned rides are completed this season and it could make a difference to the 100 points award if, say, I did 6x200s and got no points leaving me on, say, 90 points instead of 102.

In answer to Wycombe's question: to enter the End to End award one submits a fee to Hummers and I don't believe submitting 7x200s to Paul Stewart would make one eligible for the End to End award would it? I wonder if I could double up and enter both ways as an insurance policy and only claim one afterwards? Hmmm.....

Doubling up like this is strictly verboten. You'll have to ask yourself, 'do you feel lucky' and choose which to enter.

« Reply #17 on: 29 May, 2017, 10:26:06 pm »
Which, implies that 6 out of 7 EtoE stages would score no points, is that correct?

« Reply #18 on: 30 May, 2017, 06:31:49 am »
I think it means that you must EITHER apply to ride seven individual 200s (in respect of which you will earn two points for each that you complete within the rules and within time, regardless of what happens on the others) OR you apply to ride the Hummers End-to-End BUT you cannot apply BOTH for the individual 200s AND the Hummers End-to-End.

Will be happy to be corrected if wrong.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #19 on: 30 May, 2017, 08:05:35 am »
There is no intention to claim double points, the knub of the question, as yet unanswered, is: if one enters End to End but completes less than 7 stages, does one get any points for the completed stages of 200? Yes or no.
The point about entering both was not to claim double points, but in hindsight claim points for a partially completed E to E if the answer to the question above was 'no'.

Chris N

« Reply #20 on: 30 May, 2017, 08:26:38 am »
If you look at the results for this ride, it seems a though you can claim for a partially completed E2E: http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2017/listevent/?Ride=MH02 and http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2016/listevent/?Ride=MH02 both show riders who have less than 7 rides listed for the E2E.

I'd ask the organiser to clarify if I were you.

« Reply #21 on: 30 May, 2017, 09:58:08 am »
If you look at the results for this ride, it seems a though you can claim for a partially completed E2E: http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2017/listevent/?Ride=MH02 and http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2016/listevent/?Ride=MH02 both show riders who have less than 7 rides listed for the E2E.

I'd ask the organiser to clarify if I were you.
Good spot Chris N, appreciated. As you suggest, I had been contemplating asking Hummers if he didn't clarify on this thread, but was waiting to see if there would be a 'public' answer on here first.
Think I'll ask now though.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #23 on: 02 June, 2017, 01:14:24 pm »
Having looked at the stages I would avoid the A9. Having ridden it once it is horrid. A diversion to either the west and the Great Glen, or to the east and the snow roads. Having ridden all three I would avoid the A9.

tys

« Reply #24 on: 02 June, 2017, 01:43:25 pm »
The Snow roads to the east are the nicest to cycle on.
Not sure about cycling over the Lecht after doing 5 consecutive 200's and carrying gear though.