Author Topic: New bikepacking setup: transverse saddlebag + qr cargo cages  (Read 1942 times)

Hi, I wanted to share with you some information about my DIY bikepacking bags ;)

At first I needed a smaller bag which would replace my pannier during one day trips. I have a rack mounted in my vintage Gazelle Randonneur Trophy all the time – in this case I see transverse saddlebag as superior over saddlebag in classical shape.

I thought about buying Carriadice bag, but they use cotton duck which is to heavy for my taste :| My cycling setup would gain weight instead of loosing it, because pannier in same size is lighter.

I decided to make my own bag of Cordura which saved 400 grams without sacrificing functionality.  Finally I also added few useful features as additional bottom strap with buckle (yes, I am using buckles wherever it's possible), which makes attaching my bag to rack very fast and makes luggage more stable. I added a handle, now there is a way to catch the bag in less than a second – no need to attach shoulder strap every time...

I also made a QR mount which works with all my saddles. It has adjustable mounting width and added some “distance” (some saddles have their rails hidden you need some kind of a spacer).

As I made my new MTB bike with dirt drop I thought about getting some cages for front fork. The problem is when you have suspension front fork /or you don't want to carry them all the time (and make our bike heavier ~400 grams forever ;((( ). For these reasons I designed my QR polycarbonate cage, which can work with suspension front forks or forks with eyelets.

HERE you can see my stuff in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bljg1glyzg

Feel free to share your thoughts about it and ask any questions.

I am planning to start a crowdfunding campaign with saddlebags in two sizes and the cargo cage and if you like my bag you'll be able to get it.

Re: New bikepacking setup: transverse saddlebag + qr cargo cages
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 10:18:54 am »
That answers the question I was asking in another thread; you have a small rack under the saddlebag to hold the bag off the tyre.

The cages on the front forks look interesting, similar to a Gorilla cage.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 10:41:42 am »
This rack is currently just my DIY prototype. I am planning to redesign similar rack which will be for sale. What I love about it is 350 g weight and dimensions which fits bag perfectly - due to wide platform (as I remember well 20 cm). The only improvement it requires is Nitto style bottom plates to fit every most common wheel sizes. If you are interested in it just keep in touch, we can discuss making one for you.

Yeah cages have similar built to Gorilla Cage. Main difference between and mine is that I am using steel snail clamps instead of ziplocks - I just wouldn't. I will also try to make adapter for forks with one eyelet (I see this is quite common), so it will be using one bolt and one snail clamp.

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 11:24:24 am »
I'm not sure what you mean by 'snail clamps'. Do you mean 'jubilee clamps'?

The Gorilla cage uses standard boss mounts, unless they aren't present, in which case you can use a 'sold separately' mount that uses ziplocks.

If you are trying to sell your product on the basis that it doesn't use ziplocks, this forum isn't the place. We love ziplocks, and quite frankly I'm not sure what you have against them. They don't rust, for starters. Unless you are using stainless jubilee clamps, ziplocks are superior for a lot of uses.

Anyway, weren't you trying to save weight?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 12:03:45 pm »
Yes, jubilee clamps :) I was using ziplocks to attach e.g. front fender for winter commuting and it didn't work for me. It was to easy to kick it and as it is cold plastic becomes fragile. This kind of cages are also mostly used on shaky trails, if broken welds are common (salsa was replacing their cages for this reason) I think there is a reason to be worried. Not loosing luggage is more important than few grams (it would be even lighter..  8) ), if not, replacing stainless clamps with ziplocks is possible.

Saving weight but not at all costs ;) I like to feel confidence that I can rely on my bike and don't care about unexpected events. In the end, I think that using suspension fork should be something more common in bikepacking. QR adapters for them wold be included making it more affordable. Same with dry bags.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 08:32:54 pm »
UPDATE! Sorry for not post anything for a longer time. I was really busy preparing for a INDIEGOGO

presale which starts next week!

I also made some improvements in my QR Cargo Cages. I am posting few more images

Large Saddlebag (about 22 liters) with extended lid

Medium Saddlebag (about 12 liters)

Quick Release Cargo Cage (each bag 7 liters)

(it comes in two options)

Quick Release saddlebag Mount

If you haven't seen the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bljg1glyzg

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 09:02:42 pm »
Looks like decent kit and, being lighter than a Carradice, should have a worthwhile market. HK likes her old nylon Karrimor saddlebag (and we have about a dozen Carradice saddlebags of various types) but would like more waterproofing.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 10:24:29 am »
The bags do look interesting. Carradice like but in lighter (and colourful!) materials. Perhaps you should give some weights, as that's the main selling point? To what extent is the Cordura waterproof?

On a different topic, I see your MTB is a Romet. What do you think of it? Are they making a "dirt bike with drops" now or is that your own build?
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 01:16:52 pm »
Looks like decent kit and, being lighter than a Carradice, should have a worthwhile market. HK likes her old nylon Karrimor saddlebag (and we have about a dozen Carradice saddlebags of various types) but would like more waterproofing.
Friend of mine is using Carradice saddlebag and he didn't have problems even during heavy rains. You can try restore waterproofing of canvas using wax. You can also try DWR spray which will help keeping bag clean.

The bags do look interesting. Carradice like but in lighter (and colourful!) materials. Perhaps you should give some weights, as that's the main selling point? To what extent is the Cordura waterproof?
It is waterproof enough. Once I left my Ortlieb handlebar bag outside for a night (I was to lazy to get out of my hammock). After REALLY strong rainstorm camera lens were a bit cloudy because of some moisture. It not hermetic as PVC but gives proper protection against water. I also think that renewing DWR layer from time to time would be good idea.

On a different topic, I see your MTB is a Romet. What do you think of it? Are they making a "dirt bike with drops" now or is that your own build?
This is my own built. Frame has very similar geometry to Salsa Fargo. It's slightly longer (580 mm for 17" frame) which is good. In fact it could be longer for me. Now I think 19" wold be better choice for me. I have to use 105 mm stem now.

All in all frame is really nice. It has tapered headset and two pairs of eyelets for rack. Welding quality is much better than in cheaper Cube bikes.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 11:47:05 am »
Finally started! :) If you want to learn more about bag you can visit Indiegogo webpage by clicking link below.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dragonfly-bicycle-saddlebags-and-qr-cargo-cages-bike/x/16904174#/

I would be also glad if you could help bringing project alive by sharing it with your friends or contributing campaign. Thanks for any support! :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 02:29:54 pm »
Friend of mine is using Carradice saddlebag and he didn't have problems even during heavy rains. You can try restore waterproofing of canvas using wax. You can also try DWR spray which will help keeping bag clean.

Thanks but obviously I was unclear. Our Carradice bags are effectively waterproof but HK's nylon Karrimor saddlebag is not. That is the saddlebag that she wishes was more waterproof.

Good to see that you have your first backer.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 06:34:15 pm »
Really neat looking bags!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 01:07:00 am »
Like the look of the front cargo quick release set-up.
Are you gong to do other colours ??
I,d jump at a front cargo set in Olive green !

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 06:44:44 am »
They look very nice, my only criticism is those horrible jubilee clips :facepalm:
Welding, fabrication and light engineering available to forum members.

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 07:37:08 pm »
Thanks but obviously I was unclear. Our Carradice bags are effectively waterproof but HK's nylon Karrimor saddlebag is not. That is the saddlebag that she wishes was more waterproof.
My mistake. Dinner was waiting for me and I was in hurry :( ;)

Good to see that you have your first backer.
Really neat looking bags!  :thumbsup:
Thanks ;) And also thanks DAVID from YACF!

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 07:59:20 pm »
Like the look of the front cargo quick release set-up.
Are you gong to do other colours ??
I,d jump at a front cargo set in Olive green !
Here are available colours

Green is light green. It is not really olive but not so far from it.

If you are still interested let me know about it before ;) What about additional pair of adapters for early order?

They look very nice, my only criticism is those horrible jubilee clips :facepalm:
They do not look bad in real life in my opinion and they are more durable cable ties. Even King Cage is using them

There is also possibility of using heat shrinkable tubes to make them less visible (can be same colour as fork).

In the end I have a special offer for forum users. Using link below you can access special (20% OFF) offer for Medium Saddlebag. Only five bags!
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/2153322/x/16904174?secret_perk_token=38c0b9a5

(keep in mind I am not forgetting about my first backer - I am going to prepare something special)

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 01:33:29 am »
Can you post a photo of the green fabric ?
 I never trust computer generated colour swatches !
The bags are for a 2016 Croix de fer 20 in olive green.
Thanks !

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 08:15:10 pm »
Sure I just need daylight. I will make it on the grass for comparison.

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 11:30:33 am »
I did't notice but I have two green colours.. The one on the left I would call olive (or light olive) - I have only one pair of them. Bag on the right side is light green, just as shown on the swatch. Olive is definitely better for your bike.

I made few photos in case of different light conditions.

I hope it helped :)

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 01:24:58 am »
Whoa those are both a little too light coloured / bright.
Left looks like Apple colour and right looks like lime.
Olive is more darker , richer green.
Actually seeing your prices, I can only wish you good luck with the project.

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 03:55:00 pm »
Thanks for being interested in my project anyway :) Prices are not as low as I would like them to be :| I wanted to order everything from third party workshops - in small numbers it's not cheap! Especially cages requires a lot of work as they are not made of mold. Each piece of Polycarbonate have to be CNC carved and manually bent and that's just beginning of work.. Final price is still about the same if you consider another QR cage with bag and adapter for suspension fork.