Author Topic: Safari can't open the page......  (Read 1027 times)

Safari can't open the page......
« on: 16 June, 2017, 08:27:18 pm »
As above.

That's the message I get when I click on any links posted here from The Grauniad, Indy, Torygraph  et al.
They open without issue in Firefox or Chrome, but Safari is my browser of choice, and I'd like it to continue to be so.
What do I need to turn on (or off) in Safari preferences to make it so?

TIA

ETA Ta SP. This is something which has only started happening recently (a few weeks ago, maybe months)

Re: Safari can't open the page......
« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2017, 08:45:46 pm »
Here’s a guess from me as i recall similar inexplicable behaviour. It turned out to be related to certificates in my case, as described below. The source is here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6009888?tstart=0
But given that you might not be able to reach that, the relevant reply is:
Some websites require a special client certficate for access. If you don't have that certficate, you'll have to contact the site operator to find out how to get one.
Sometimes the problem is caused by a web server that is configured to request an optional client certificate. Safari treats the request as mandatory. In that case, other browsers such as Firefox and Chrome may be able to connect to the site, because they ignore the request.
The first time you were prompted for a certificate, you may have clicked through a dialog that requested access to the Apple certificate in your keychain that is used to secure the iMessage service. In that case, you may be able to regain access to the site in Safari by doing as follows.
Back up all data.

Double-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:
com.apple.idms.appleid.prd

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.
Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:
☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)
☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.
☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Keychain Access in the icon grid.
Paste into the search field in the Keychain Access window by clicking in it and pressing the key combination command-V. An item may appear in the list of keychain items. The Name will begin with string you searched for, and the Kind will be "certificate."
Delete the item by selecting it and pressing the delete key. It will be recreated automatically the next time you launch the Messages or FaceTime application.
The next time you visit a site that prompts for an optional client certificate, cancel out of the prompt. You may have to do this several times before the server stops asking.

Bear in mind that I could be completely wrong. Hopefully someone that knows what they are talking about will arrive shortly.

Re: Safari can't open the page......
« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2017, 09:07:54 pm »
ETA Ta SP. This is something which has only started happening recently (a few weeks ago, maybe months)

It just started happening abruptly for me, I can’t recall what precipitated it. In my case it applied to nearly all links (even links within sites like one Guardian page to another) so I needed to fix it and I wanted to stick to Safari. So I tried many things but deleting / renewing keychain certs was what sorted it out.