Author Topic: Home made routesheets  (Read 1055 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Home made routesheets
« on: 19 June, 2017, 10:54:54 pm »
Does anyone else make up Audax style routesheets for navigation? I like the format for all my longer rides whether solo or leading a group.

The prep takes more time consuming than using a Garmin etc, but I find it makes the ride go more smoothly if I've checked tricky or unsigned turns in Google Street View and made notes appropriately. Plus it doesn't need batteries :)

Interested to hear of others' approaches and conventions for what details you include/leave out to save space.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Home made routesheets
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2017, 07:03:44 am »
Sort of - I plot the route on Memory Map (OS for the UK) and then print the map (with the route marking) as A5 size pages that fit in the barbag mapcase.

Rides vary from a couple of pages to loads - the club tour to France last week (450 miles) comprised a 100 page book (wire-o bound) with the whole route on 1-50,000 mapping (IGN).   Works a treat and is part of the planning process so no big deal - the same plots also produce the gpx files for Garmin jockeys.    AND no batteries to run out or recharge!

Rob

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2017, 09:15:32 am »
I haven't done for quite some time. Did that for LEJOG, accompanied by pages torn out of the Philips Navigator road atlas. I plot tracks for the Garmin now. Works well.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2017, 02:01:16 pm »
I've used printed marked maps in a similar style to Rob but using cycle.travel's wonderful pdf facility.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.