Author Topic: If you can fix a bicycle...  (Read 7297 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
If you can fix a bicycle...
« on: 25 June, 2017, 12:11:21 am »
...you can fix a car, or a helicopter, or a giant gun.

And don't worry too much about how well you can fix a bicycle,

because what's 45 degrees when you're really just cannon fodder.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: If you can fix a bicycle...
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2017, 09:36:32 pm »
I wonder what's the giant gun equivalent of fitting new cranks at 90 degrees to each other and not noticing until you've torqued down the crank bolts, trapping a new tube under the tyre bead or putting SRAM axle nuts on a Brompton with a Sturmey Archer hub (subtle but really bad)?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2017, 10:00:14 pm »
I wonder if anyone has pointed the poorly fitted cranks out to the Royal Navy?

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2017, 10:24:26 pm »
I wonder what's the giant gun equivalent of fitting new cranks at 90 degrees to each other and not noticing until you've torqued down the crank bolts, trapping a new tube under the tyre bead or putting SRAM axle nuts on a Brompton with a Sturmey Archer hub (subtle but really bad)?
Admiral?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2017, 10:27:45 pm »
That's nothing compared to what will happen if he turns a destroyer upside down to fix it.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2017, 10:39:13 pm »
He probably went on to aiming Trident missiles with that knowledge of angles.

« Reply #6 on: 26 June, 2017, 10:53:52 pm »

Seeing as the Royal navy got rid of its big gun battleships shortly after WW2, we'll have to defer to the US Navy for big gun FUBARs.

An investigation into New Jersey's gunfire effectiveness in Lebanon, led by Marine Colonel Don Price, found that many of the ship's shells had missed their targets by as much as 10,000 yards (9,140 m) and therefore may have inadvertently killed civilians. Tim McNulty, a correspondent for the Chicago Tribune based in Lebanon said, "Everybody loved the New Jersey until she fired her guns. Once she fired, it was obvious she couldn't hit anything."[39][40] The inaccuracy is believed to have resulted because the ship's main gunpowder had been remixed by the Navy, under the direction of Captain Joseph Dominick Miceli at the Naval Weapons Support Center, and rebagged. Powder lots (an individual production of powder) burn at different rates. Therefore, remixing the powder lots could cause the guns to fire inconsistently. The problem was apparently resolved after the Navy was able to locate additional powder supplies which had not been remixed.[41]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_New_Jersey_(BB-62)#Lebanese_Civil_War_.281983.E2.80.931984.29

Then there is the premature detonation in the No. 2 turret on USS Iowa, caused by the bagged charges being rammed into the breech too fast:

The rammerman's position was of special concern, as ramming was considered the most dangerous part of loading the gun. The ram was used to first thrust the projectile and then the powder bags into the gun's breech. The ram speed used for the projectile was much faster (14 feet (4.3 m) per second) than that used for the lighter powder bags (1.5 feet (0.46 m) per second), but there was no safety device on the ram piston to prevent the rammerman from accidentally pushing the powder bags at the faster speed. Overramming the powder bags into the gun could subject the highly flammable powder to excessive friction and compression, with a resulting increased danger of premature combustion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_turret_explosion#Preparation_for_fleet_exercise
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

rogerzilla

« Reply #7 on: 27 June, 2017, 07:03:11 am »
The fate of the German U-boat U-1206 springs to mind as well, where failure to operate a toilet properly while sneaking around the Scottish coast led to flooding of the boat and a forced surface, upon which it was quickly spotted by the Royal Navy, bombed and scuttled.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 27 June, 2017, 11:52:17 am »
Friendly fire?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9 on: 27 June, 2017, 07:34:22 pm »
The fate of the German U-boat U-1206 springs to mind as well, where failure to operate a toilet properly while sneaking around the Scottish coast led to flooding of the boat and a forced surface, upon which it was quickly spotted by the Royal Navy, bombed and scuttled.

The amount of water ingress wasn't the problem, it was the chemical reaction with the batteries in a live circuit, producing loads of chlorine gas.

The U-boat's Captain was one letter away from being nominatively determinative.  :D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

rogerzilla

« Reply #10 on: 27 June, 2017, 09:12:30 pm »
To be fair, submarine toilets aren't quite as simple as pulling a chain and giving the room a quick blast of Febreze:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 27 June, 2017, 09:14:47 pm »
Yeah, those things have nearly as many unpleasant failure modes as a Saniflo...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12 on: 28 June, 2017, 10:17:35 pm »
My sister once opened a camping toilet (chemical) at the top of an Austrian mountain. It had last been used in Holland.

"It just exploded!"

Cue much cleaning of blue stuff inside a caravan
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #13 on: 29 June, 2017, 04:54:44 pm »
My sister once opened a camping toilet (chemical) at the top of an Austrian mountain. It had last been used in Holland.

"It just exploded!"

Cue much cleaning of blue stuff inside a caravan
It should have imploded.

Methane from sewage - nothing to do with going from holland to top of mountain.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 29 June, 2017, 05:06:01 pm »
Why imploded?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #15 on: 29 June, 2017, 05:19:22 pm »
Oh I am being dumb, sorry.

It is a long day after a succession of long days.

Still think that it was more likely the methane, the pressure change from altitude would have been little more than a 'poof', not a 'spoooolfph'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #16 on: 29 June, 2017, 05:57:44 pm »
Er, my phys chemical is very weak but....does the methane and other noxious volatiles not reach saturation at sea level. at the top, on releasing the pressure they suddenly 'boil' (wassa word, told you) out.

I've done this with a Thetford that had a faulty pressure release, and it does leap at you  :sick: I've also also created super saturated solutions accidently.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #17 on: 29 June, 2017, 06:16:06 pm »
Oh I am being dumb, sorry.

It is a long day after a succession of long days.

Still think that it was more likely the methane, the pressure change from altitude would have been little more than a 'poof', not a 'spoooolfph'.

It was a definite sploooofph. Quite an appreciable pressure change. Luckily no fermenting matter at that stage of the holiday, but there may have been some contribution just from saturation of air at sea level.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #18 on: 29 June, 2017, 09:18:57 pm »
That's nothing compared to what will happen if he turns a destroyer upside down to fix it.

You should never, ever do that to your faithful bicycle. Rubber side down, all the time. No exception.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #19 on: 29 June, 2017, 10:04:25 pm »
Er, my phys chemical is very weak but....does the methane and other noxious volatiles not reach saturation at sea level. at the top, on releasing the pressure they suddenly 'boil' (wassa word, told you) out.

I've done this with a Thetford that had a faulty pressure release, and it does leap at you  :sick: I've also also created super saturated solutions accidently.
sublimate?

« Reply #20 on: 29 June, 2017, 10:30:21 pm »
You should never, ever do that to your faithful bicycle. Rubber side down, all the time. No exception.
Let's not debate that here. I'm inclined to agree, but at least your bike doesn't sink gently into the tarmac if you do.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 30 June, 2017, 12:09:02 am »
Let's not debate that here. I'm inclined to agree, but at least your bike doesn't sink gently into the tarmac if you do.

We've got a thread for that already: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=102686.0

« Reply #22 on: 30 June, 2017, 06:08:18 am »
We've got a thread for that already: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=102686.0

I missed that one. Thank you!

« Reply #23 on: 30 June, 2017, 07:57:55 am »

sublimate?

No, that's solid to gas, I think it might be bump

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24 on: 30 June, 2017, 08:34:14 am »
That's just what I woke up thinking! (About sublimate; I don't know about bump.)