Author Topic: Sora triple and STIs- too much trouble  (Read 1318 times)

Sora triple and STIs- too much trouble
« on: 31 July, 2017, 12:13:15 pm »
As the  title indicates, I am using a triple sora  groupset(old model) with  STIs.  It's a bit finicky moving from the middle of  the cassette downwards.  Rubs  against the front mech etc..  A  fiddle to set up.  My other  triple relies on bar ends run on friction- so no problems there

It works , but it's not great.  Any views on whether or not Triple and Road STIs are never going to be happy and that I should go  for bar end  shifters etc ...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Sora triple and STIs- too much trouble
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2017, 12:21:40 pm »
I'm running a Sora triple without any problems. Can't help with the setup as it was done by the shop (or factory?)

« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2017, 12:45:50 pm »
As the  title indicates, I am using a triple sora  groupset(old model) with  STIs.  It's a bit finicky moving from the middle of  the cassette downwards.  Rubs  against the front mech etc..  A  fiddle to set up.  My other  triple relies on bar ends run on friction- so no problems there

It works , but it's not great.  Any views on whether or not Triple and Road STIs are never going to be happy and that I should go  for bar end  shifters etc ...

Hi y o e. I was running a Stronglight triple - swapped over from a Truvativ triple - with a Shimano 8spd cassette on a 2009 Claud Butler Levante (Flat-bar Hybrid) without any issues but if I was at the extremes of cross-over I would have to just trim the front shifter a little at the lever.
I am also currently running a 10spd with a Stronglight triple albeit Campagnolo Centaur on my Steve Goff and that requires a little trimming when on either the smallest or the largest ring but when on the middle ring I have full use of all 10 srockets.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #3 on: 31 July, 2017, 12:49:48 pm »
Shop  set up.   Compared  to my friction set up,it's the  front we are  talking about, it's less  smooth.

I'll  put it on the stand  and  fiddle. Jan Heine thinks they are not a great combination. I think because its a MTB designed  front mech

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 31 July, 2017, 01:44:31 pm »
Maybe the mech should be replaced, then.  Meanwhile, fiddle with every aspect: mech height, angle, limits, cable tension.  It's all about the combination of these things, not just setting each one in isolation to what you think should be correct.  That's how I get difficult setups working anyway - trial and error.  Sometimes bending in the tip of the cage helps with non-standard chainring sizes.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #5 on: 31 July, 2017, 04:16:58 pm »
Shop  set up.   Compared  to my friction set up,it's the  front we are  talking about, it's less  smooth.

I'll  put it on the stand  and  fiddle. Jan Heine thinks they are not a great combination. I think because its a MTB designed  front mech

This may sound a strange combination but it works perfectly on my Jackson. Sora 9 speed stis with a XT rear mech and an 8 speed road front mech. It is an older version Sora but most 8 speeds should be the same.  I experimented with different combinations before I got to this one but it does work perfectly.

Setting up as told me by a Shimano employee. Put the chain of the smallest ring at the front and you largest on your cassette. Have your sti in your small ring position. Adjust your cable and stops until there is about 1mm gap between the bridge and the chain. Then adjust you big ring stop accordingly. Changing then works perfectly every time.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #6 on: 31 July, 2017, 04:23:20 pm »
   I think because its a MTB designed  front mech

MTB front mechs have a completely different shift ratio to 'road' mechs. You need a 'road' mech, (or an MTB one that has had its shift ratio converted).

If you have the correct front mech (and chainset) the Sora shifters ought to work pretty slickly.

cheers