Author Topic: New Steel Frame?  (Read 4230 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: New Steel Frame?
« Reply #25 on: 09 August, 2017, 09:34:08 pm »
I'd be wary of any custom fork with disc mounts unless you can test ride an example first.  A twisty fork is horrid with a disc as it's both spongy and makes the bike pull to one side.  Even a Kona Project Two MTB fork twists, although my Rock Shox Recon didn't.

I would expect a lot of builders to stick a factory carbon fork on anyway.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #26 on: 13 August, 2017, 08:04:42 pm »
I am starting to desire a Shand

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #27 on: 14 August, 2017, 02:56:31 pm »
If you're anywhere near the midlands Lee Cooper builds really nice custom steel (much better than my wife's Mercian for example) at great prices, I've had a lugged 853 and a fillet brazed 631 from him.
His website quotes £600 for a frame and forks, which is a good deal imo.  All the local riders I know who have one of his frames rate them above Mercian!  If he is still building in 2019 I'm buying.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Samuel D

« Reply #28 on: 14 August, 2017, 07:57:16 pm »
I’m seeing £650 here, which is getting on for Bob Jackson prices – although it sounds like his frames may be every bit as good. Maybe he put up the price by £50 recently? The pound hasn’t been so weak in a long time, after all.

Does anyone know if Lee Cooper frames have straight seat stays and chain stays? I’d prefer that if they could be made to work with a 28 mm tyre.