Author Topic: cheap track pump  (Read 1301 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
cheap track pump
« on: 02 August, 2017, 04:49:11 pm »
I  would like a cheap track pump to have as a spare at my parents.

Is there any reason why the chain reaction one at £14.99 should be avoided?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lifeline-essential-track-pump/rp-prod155369?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping+QLB+Generic+Desktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sbyYthmfk_dc|pcrid|161850070953|pkw||pmt||prd|567375UK

thanks

Re: cheap track pump
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2017, 06:21:50 pm »
Probably not. Lifeline is Wiggle’s own brand and it seems to have a reasonably good reputation. That pump has 540 reviews on Wiggle with an average of 4.7 out of 5!

The weak points on cheaper track pumps tend to be the pump head and the accuracy of the gauge. In the unlikely event that the head is not great, the fittings are mostly the same size and you could replace the head itself:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-joe-blow-smarthead/rp-prod25516?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping+QLB+Generic+Desktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7CsxnpK6bUL_dc%7Cpcrid%7C161850070953%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C79876UK

If the gauge is untrustworthy a separate tyre pressure gauge is not too expensive.

I reckon it would be perfectly good as it is for infrequent use.

« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2017, 07:14:53 pm »
twice a year they have a very cheap track pump in Lidl.  They had a surplus at a store I visited, which meant they sold them off for about £5 each.

cheers

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2017, 07:40:19 pm »
thanks both. I did consider the lidl ones, but feedback was that there were poor and quickly failed. Although its for infrequent use, when I need it to work, I really want it to work!

Will get the CRC one

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 02 August, 2017, 09:24:47 pm »
The 140 psi rating is a reason to avoid it if it's for skinny road tyres, considering that pump ratings tend to be unrealistic absolute maximums.  Best to look for one rated at 160+ if you want to reach 120 without straining yourself.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2017, 08:56:35 pm »
I have that pump and it's been faultless for a couple of years now. I don't run high pressures but it zips up to 80 PSI in a 30mm tyre very quickly. Friends who do run >100psi have borrowed it on occasion and had no complaints.
It's not a work of art, I don't polish it and I don't look for excuses to use it. It's just fine at being a pump that I don't mind taking on holiday, throwing in the back of Jeep etc.
Everyone's favourite windbreak