Author Topic: Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool 22nd Sept 2017  (Read 33370 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool 22nd Sept 2017
« Reply #75 on: 16 July, 2018, 02:08:12 pm »
Hi Andy, just wondering if the route will change this year to avoid the hideous traffic light gauntlet run-in to Glasgow?
I don't really think there's another way into Glasgow. Where is the control in Glasgow (and where's the one before it?).

There is various options when coming in from Abington, but best way to avoid the crap is via Strathaven then out the other side and round the back of East Kilbride via Auldhouse. Not the shortest but much better than Larkhall, Hamilton etc. What he said above, i use those roads all the time. But wouldn't go via Barrhead, too busy

ta, had a quick play on google maps, most direct route via Strathaven and clarkston seems to be 200m longer than through Hamilton and Rutherglen; it's like having a choice between Methil and Falkland.

« Reply #76 on: 16 July, 2018, 04:25:03 pm »
Hi Andy, just wondering if the route will change this year to avoid the hideous traffic light gauntlet run-in to Glasgow?
I don't really think there's another way into Glasgow. Where is the control in Glasgow (and where's the one before it?).

There is various options when coming in from Abington, but best way to avoid the crap is via Strathaven then out the other side and round the back of East Kilbride via Auldhouse. Not the shortest but much better than Larkhall, Hamilton etc. What he said above, i use those roads all the time. But wouldn't go via Barrhead, too busy

ta, had a quick play on google maps, most direct route via Strathaven and clarkston seems to be 200m longer than through Hamilton and Rutherglen; it's like having a choice between Methil and Falkland.

Yes but going via Strathaven, Auldhouse, Eaglesham is much quieter country lanes. Also from Eaglesham there is a 6k descent down to the Clyde and from there a very good a signed flat route to Paisley.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #77 on: 16 July, 2018, 04:50:13 pm »
Check out Methil and Falkland on google earth, and you'll see I'm saying the extra distance definitely looks worth it!

Lee Killestein

« Reply #78 on: 20 July, 2018, 03:10:56 pm »
Last year's route went to the Asda in Toryglen, although the event page did say Paisley was the Glasgow control. Not sure if Andy will keep the same controls this year but a more inspiring turnaround point would be welcome! We just disappeared a sandwich and some crisps and high-tailed it back to Abington!

« Reply #79 on: 21 July, 2018, 12:14:31 am »
I'd concur with this Lee. I'd much rather the event be over distance, but avoid the misery of grinding through the depressing urban sprawl of Glasgow's suburbs.

« Reply #80 on: 21 July, 2018, 04:14:46 pm »
When is it? Could be available to stamp cards out the back of the car somewhere suitable.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #81 on: 24 July, 2018, 10:35:01 am »
Last year's route went to the Asda in Toryglen, although the event page did say Paisley was the Glasgow control. Not sure if Andy will keep the same controls this year but a more inspiring turnaround point would be welcome! We just disappeared a sandwich and some crisps and high-tailed it back to Abington!

Last time I was in there was after the SFA cup semi in 2010; it's not the worst place in the world...

Most of the non-hamilton route is still usable then as far as EK or Clarkston;
Queens Park are at home to Edinburgh City; so don't really need to worry about extra football traffic with that fixture!

Any locals able to give advice on the routes down from EK?
NCN 756 straight into Rutherglen looks suitable, but I've cursed Sustrans a lot in the past...

« Reply #82 on: 24 July, 2018, 10:55:40 am »

Last time I was in there was after the SFA cup semi in 2010; it's not the worst place in the world...

Queens Park are at home to Edinburgh City; so don't really need to worry about extra football traffic with that fixture!

NCN 756 straight into Rutherglen looks suitable, but I've cursed Sustrans a lot in the past...

Avoid EK at all costs, it's not a place for cycling. Go around it if possible.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #83 on: 24 July, 2018, 11:10:14 am »

Avoid EK at all costs, it's not a place for cycling. Go around it if possible.

All that needs to be said  ;)

Lee Killestein

« Reply #84 on: 24 July, 2018, 11:16:06 am »

Agreed, as far as Asda stores go, it’s not the worst place in the world. It’s just that I was hoping for something a bit more typically Glaswegian. Not sure what that is but it’s definitely not Asda!  :P

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #85 on: 24 July, 2018, 01:28:37 pm »

Agreed, as far as Asda stores go, it’s not the worst place in the world. It’s just that I was hoping for something a bit more typically Glaswegian. Not sure what that is but it’s definitely not Asda!  :P

I'd rather go to ASDA in Toryglen, or Linwood in fact than "typically Glaswegian" locations; carrying a chib is a waste of load space and unnecessary weight!

Just realized that NCN route goes right through the middle, and there's much more inviting roads that avoid it.

I need to work out transport down and any accommodation ASAP...

Lee Killestein

« Reply #86 on: 24 July, 2018, 01:42:40 pm »

I'd rather go to ASDA in Toryglen, or Linwood in fact than "typically Glaswegian" locations; carrying a chib is a waste of load space and unnecessary weight!

Just realized that NCN route goes right through the middle, and there's much more inviting roads that avoid it.

I need to work out transport down and any accommodation ASAP...

:D :D :D Asda is fine with me!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #87 on: 24 July, 2018, 07:46:54 pm »
Transport and accommodation for the night after sorted....
Bispham PremierInn for 53 quid including breakfast

Right... back to looking for decent priced accommodation for the Galashiels 600 next month, seems I've left that a tad late  :'(

« Reply #88 on: 06 August, 2018, 12:12:41 pm »

I've treated the missus to a weekend in Blackpool.... mostly by herself  ;D

Question of the day is.. what's the control in Shap that'll be open between 01:18 & 04:36 ?
(More questions coming soon I'm sure once I get my planning up to speed)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #89 on: 06 August, 2018, 01:13:07 pm »
I've knocked out a few route options to Toryglen ASDA in RwGPS;
No clue what the roads are like, wrong side of the country for me.

Direct via Hamilton and the land of no green. - 58km, 343m (566 on way back)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28270664

Dodging round Hamilton and Larkhall - 63km, 460m (683 on return)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28270647

Stra(tha)ven, Auldhouse, Castlemilk (avoiding the frying pan by jumping into the fire?)  66km, 464m (689)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28270615

Strathaven, Auldhouse, Eaglesham, Clarkston - 68km 455m (680)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28270586

The traffic lights are possibly worth it.
My bike and kit is Orange so reasonably safe in Larkhall...  :sick:

« Reply #90 on: 06 August, 2018, 01:25:16 pm »
If you are going to Larkhall the route from Blackwood through Netherburn and Ashgill is much nicer and not much longer, there's crap pavement cycling between Larkhall nearly to Hamilton, but the cycle route gets very recreational and meandering after that.

If you are going to Strathaven the route that goes through Waterside (~NS785371) from Lesmahagow to join the B road at Kypeside is nice, but might be a bit of a diversion and whilst it would miss out the crap bit of road before Tescos at J10 you won't be able to indulge in their culinary delights either.

You could do a loop out from from Abingdon or Happendon Services through Biggar, Peebles, and Innerleithen and down through Eskdalemuir back to Gretna, it would probably be somewhat more scenic but rather less Glaswegian.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #91 on: 06 August, 2018, 01:38:49 pm »
You could do a loop out from from Abingdon or Happendon Services through Biggar, Peebles, and Innerleithen and down through Eskdalemuir back to Gretna, it would probably be somewhat more scenic but rather less Glaswegian.

Not sure mid-ride ECE is a thing  :P

I have seen diversions over the castle o'er road being taken on some of the borders Audaxes due to it being nicer.

« Reply #92 on: 06 August, 2018, 03:53:53 pm »
I've knocked out a few route options to Toryglen ASDA in RwGPS;
No clue what the roads are like, wrong side of the country for me.

Direct via Hamilton and the land of no green. - 58km, 343m (566 on way back)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28270664

Dodging round Hamilton and Larkhall - 63km, 460m (683 on return)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28270647

Stra(tha)ven, Auldhouse, Castlemilk (avoiding the frying pan by jumping into the fire?)  66km, 464m (689)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28270615

Strathaven, Auldhouse, Eaglesham, Clarkston - 68km 455m (680)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28270586

The traffic lights are possibly worth it.
My bike and kit is Orange so reasonably safe in Larkhall...  :sick:

That's nice... but aren't we going to Paisley ? :-X

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #93 on: 06 August, 2018, 04:38:59 pm »
That's what the website says, and apparently it said that last year, but instead it was to Toryglen (Glasgow) which is almost Rutherglen (South Lanarkshire), which according to Clyde FC (but not UEFA) isn't Glasgow, but then neither is Paisley (Renfrewshire).

Also based off what I read avoiding the Hamilton route may be advisable due to traffic lights and generally being busy!

The route to get to the Linwood ASDA aren't a massive alteration of what I've looked at if it does turn out to be Paisley this year.

Of course Andy may throw a curveball and send us to Moscow (Ayrshire).

Edit: Based off the website and google maps walking, none of the numbers add up anyway; Linwood Asda comes out at 313 and Toryglen as 580odd; but I've seen Strava rides from last year and they come in around the stated distance.

« Reply #94 on: 07 August, 2018, 02:38:25 pm »
Aye will wait and see I guess... just makes the nicer Strathaven route look excessively long ..  whilst if going to paisley you've already cut the corner and pointing the right direction  :P

« Reply #95 on: 09 August, 2018, 12:18:13 am »
Last year the return route was slightly different to nudge the distance up to the required mark.
Someone asked about Shap as a control; it was listed as such last year, but Andy changed it to be Penrith due to the lack of anything open in Shap. Perhaps he's got someone willing to sit and stamp cards this year, but I doubt it and imagine it'll be Penrith again.

« Reply #96 on: 10 August, 2018, 01:24:01 am »
Unfortunately any southern approach to Glasgow is a traffic light slog with Strathaven, Auldhouse, Eaglesham, Clarkston the least worst option of the above if Toryglen ASDA is still the turn. There's a 24 hour Tesco at Silverburn and another 24 hr ASDA in sunny Govan but that's your lot on the southside. There's a Morrison's in Newlands but it's only open till 10 pm.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #97 on: 10 August, 2018, 01:09:19 pm »
Unfortunately any southern approach to Glasgow is a traffic light slog with Strathaven, Auldhouse, Eaglesham, Clarkston the least worst option of the above if Toryglen ASDA is still the turn. There's a 24 hour Tesco at Silverburn and another 24 hr ASDA in sunny Govan but that's your lot on the southside. There's a Morrison's in Newlands but it's only open till 10 pm.

Start time is 10pm the previous night, so likely afternoon/early evening in Glasgow perfect for catching the football crowds!
Rangers are at home to St Johnstone not the best time to be in Govan; at least going to Toryglen it's the handful Queens Park and Edinburgh City fans you've got to contend with at the turn.
Probably another reason to avoid Larkhall that day too...

Could be worse, it could be on an Old Firm day.

« Reply #98 on: 10 August, 2018, 01:49:43 pm »

Start time is 10pm the previous night, so likely afternoon/early evening in Glasgow perfect for catching the football crowds!
Rangers are at home to St Johnstone not the best time to be in Govan; at least going to Toryglen it's the handful Queens Park and Edinburgh City fans you've got to contend with at the turn.
Probably another reason to avoid Larkhall that day too...

Could be worse, it could be on an Old Firm day.

There is no old firm, Rangers were liquidated in 2012  :thumbsup: It's now Celtic v RIFC

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #99 on: 10 August, 2018, 03:24:40 pm »
There is no old firm, Rangers were liquidated in 2012  :thumbsup: It's now Celtic v RIFC

Good point, well made... but I was avoiding going that far here!