Author Topic: [LEL17] Support cars  (Read 13818 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Re: Support cars
« Reply #75 on: 10 August, 2017, 03:08:28 pm »
Hang on.   Numerous times over the years I have stopped at my parents place for kip/feed/change of kit.

Is this now a Bad Thing ?

I think that's just good planning: having your parents deliberately buy a house near the LEL route. At least they weren't trying to park their house a control points.

rob

« Reply #76 on: 10 August, 2017, 03:13:31 pm »
Hang on.   Numerous times over the years I have stopped at my parents place for kip/feed/change of kit.

Is this now a Bad Thing ?

I think that's just good planning: having your parents deliberately buy a house near the LEL route. At least they weren't trying to park their house a control points.

it's not just LEL - it is VERY handily placed for Easter Arrows and the Flatlands 600.   There are several long-standing AUKs that have been fed and watered by my Mum.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #77 on: 10 August, 2017, 03:25:12 pm »
it's not just LEL - it is VERY handily placed for Easter Arrows and the Flatlands 600.   There are several long-standing AUKs that have been fed and watered by my Mum.

Gosh, it is fraud on a scale never seen before... as a paying AUK member, I demand an enquiry ;D

« Reply #78 on: 10 August, 2017, 04:00:59 pm »
The 24 hour Time Trial has the exact opposite situation.  Most of those aspiring to race will have support vehicles, either scattered around the course, or perhaps even following (they will have rules governing how that's done).  And then there are the Audaxers, some of whom will be entirely self-supported, using the bag-drop facilities for lights and bottles, and popping into the Raven for cafĂ© stops through the night.   It's obviously a race for some, but for others, the aim is to just finish with as many AUK points as you had set your sights on.  It all ends in a dead heat of course, everyone finishing in the same time.

« Reply #79 on: 10 August, 2017, 06:00:20 pm »
The 24 Hour TT has changed a bit, the Raven is no longer open all night. I once got a serious contender's support crew referring to handing up from a moving car, which is forbidden. I've also had moans about multiple cars supporting riders. These events tend to happen on the edge of media fame.

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #80 on: 10 August, 2017, 11:24:00 pm »
It's obviously a race for some, but for others, the aim is to just finish with as many AUK points
Not even interested in points - just finishing ticked off the last item in my cycling bucket list. As the only club member to have done a 24 on 3 wheels i have got a record certificate as a souvenir.

« Reply #81 on: 11 August, 2017, 11:24:59 am »
Isn't Rule 9.9.2 clear and definitive on this question? "Riders must be self-sufficient. Personal support is only permitted at the discretion of the organiser, with the agreement of AUK." (My bold.)
Rule 9.9.2 is a shitty rule

Go on, why?

How is it substantively different from:
Quote from: ACP rules
Article 7 : Each rider must be self sufficient. No follow cars or support of any kind are permitted on the course. Personal support is only allowed at checkpoints. Any violation of this requirement will result in immediate disqualification.

The AUK rule bans personal support anywhere, including at controls, unless explicitly approved by the organiser. The ACP rule allows personal support at controls, banning them only from the route between controls. The AUK rule was brought in for the purposes of LEL alone but has been applied to every single AUK event.

It is a shitty rule and I said so at the time but it is impossible to modify any aspect of a proposal at an AGM. All proposals must be accepted or rejected without modification. It would have been possible for LEL to control support crews/ vehicles without imposing a rule on every AUK event but that was not what was proposed.

We'll look forward to your proposal to replace it with a more suitable form of words at the next AGM.
But maybe better discussed over on the official AUK forum ?