Author Topic: New Hub or update current Hope?  (Read 1860 times)

New Hub or update current Hope?
« on: 13 August, 2017, 02:31:09 pm »
Current dilemma. Have a Hope Pro Mono hub with Campy freehub body. Would like a wider range cassette so considering swapping out to Shimmy and replace bearings while I'm at it. Trouble is swapping out freehub body and new bearings is the same price as a new Shimano Ultegra hub.
So. Stick with Hope or go Shimano?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: New Hub or update current Hope?
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2017, 02:52:34 pm »
If you do go with a new hub I might be interested in taking your freehub off you, depending on how worn it is.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2017, 06:48:11 pm »
campag will do 13-29

If you replaced the campag cassette with a shimano one you'd either have a nightmare world of shimago compatibility or the expense of replacing all the campag shifters / derailluer with shimano

« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2017, 09:30:18 pm »
Want to go 1x10 which is why I want a wider range cassette. Currently friction shifting 10 speed campag with Shimano 8 speed bar end shifters so no indexing issues. Works like a dream.
44t chainring with 11-34 cassette gives almost as wide a range as current compact set up.
Guess the question is which hub is better?

« Reply #4 on: 13 August, 2017, 09:46:48 pm »
campag will do 13-29 12-30

If you replaced the campag cassette with a shimano one you'd either have a nightmare world of shimago compatibility or the expense of replacing all the campag shifters / derailluer with shimano
FTFY

Guess the question is which hub is better?
Neither are indestructable.  I've just demolished the internals of a campag freehub on my Mono RS hub.  Hope are sending me the bits to (hopefully) repair it.  I've heard of others ripping the flanges off Hopes (but it's never happened to me).
Personally I like the noise of Hope hubs, not every one does.  And whilst I know loose ball Shimano are "easy" to service, my experience is that many get some galling on the cup surface (or in some cases the cone) and then are never quite as smooth.   

« Reply #5 on: 13 August, 2017, 09:52:24 pm »
The Hope is much lighter, roughly 268gm vs 336 gm for Ultegra 6800.  This is largely because of the Hope's alloy freehub compared to the Ultegra steel freehub.  Ditto for the axle Hope alloy versus Shimano steel.

I believe that you can get a steel freehub from Hope and the Campag pattern freehub probably doesn't have the cassette bite problems as much as a Shimano pattern.

The Hope alloy freehubs get chewed up by 10 speed cassettes IME.

The Hope is cartridge bearing versus cup and cone for the Shimano.

Both are good hubs and have quite different pros and cons.

I have a Hope and will probably never buy another one because of the racket it make when freewheeling, where as the Shimano is damn near silent, depends if this matters to you.

« Reply #6 on: 13 August, 2017, 10:04:54 pm »
the Campag pattern freehub probably doesn't have the cassette bite problems as much as a Shimano pattern.
That's certainly my experience.

If the OP is changing from Campag style freehub to a Shimano one on a Hope, then it seems sensible to get the steel bodied version from the outset.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #7 on: 13 August, 2017, 10:23:32 pm »
How about going 1x11 instead of 1x10?  Campag freehubs haven't changed from 10 to 11 speed so you could keep the wheel.

« Reply #8 on: 13 August, 2017, 11:20:31 pm »
How about going 1x11 instead of 1x10? 

Unless I'm missing something 11 speed campag fit cassettes are not available with the range the OP wants (nor are 10 speed for that matter)

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #9 on: 14 August, 2017, 10:17:58 am »
SJS will sell you an IRD cassette that is Campag compatible and has sprockets up to 32 teeth. It's spendy though: £130 for the 10 speed or £160 for the 11 speed.

« Reply #10 on: 17 August, 2017, 04:44:08 pm »
Hope Pro Mono

Is that the older (ti-glide/XC derived) mono with freehub using little coil springs and pawls, or the newer mono with the freehub using leaf springs?

If it's the former I'd be happy to do a straight swap for my Shimano pattern freehub?

« Reply #11 on: 17 August, 2017, 06:31:09 pm »
The Hope is much lighter, roughly 268gm vs 336 gm for Ultegra 6800.  This is largely because of the Hope's alloy freehub compared to the Ultegra steel freehub.  Ditto for the axle Hope alloy versus Shimano steel.

I believe that you can get a steel freehub from Hope and the Campag pattern freehub probably doesn't have the cassette bite problems as much as a Shimano pattern.

The ultegra FH-6800 model

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-FH-6800-3605.pdf

has a steel freehub body and an aluminium axle.  I don't like the new style bearing adjustment system, because it is impossible to adjust the bearings correctly (i.e. whilst under QR pressure).  The freehub body is similar is design to the 'recent' XT version, which has a reputation for breaking.

I like shimano hubs, but for a paltry weight saving they have thrown the baby out with the bathwater, perhaps.

Not all cassettes bite into aluminium freehub bodies in the same way; some sprockets are missing every third tooth and are worse than others (when fitted to the standard spec spline, rather than the stepped aluminium 10s body variant). The biting is certainly worse if the lockring isn't tight enough (as per the factory specs).

Campag pattern aluminium freewheel bodies are better for 'biting' but they have small bearings in them (which don't last as long as they should) and are not immune to splitting lengthwise.

FWIW I am investigating the use of a third-party freewheel body in other hubs such as Hope and Campag; if it works, it means that as well as aluminium campag and shimano pattern freewheel bodies, it will be possible to fit a steel shimano pattern freewheel body to that kind of hub.  This should prove to be better value than the Hope type and more durable than the aluminium type, regardless of spline type.

cheers

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12 on: 17 August, 2017, 08:43:18 pm »
i got a steel freehub body fitted on my Hope hub