Author Topic: Chromebooks with Android apps  (Read 1025 times)

Chromebooks with Android apps
« on: 28 August, 2017, 10:33:39 am »
My Chromebook 14 (CB3-431) has eventually had the operating system update that allows it to use Android apps.

Haven't really had much time to tinker with it/assess it yet but would be interested in any other folks' impressions of Android apps on a chromebook.

Is the functionality of the app or Chromebook compromised in any way etc?

A few Chromebooks were Android ready out of the box on purchase I think so am assuming that there are a few users on here.

Re: Chromebooks with Android apps
« Reply #1 on: 02 September, 2017, 02:56:28 pm »
Surprised that there is no answer to this.

Am I the only one attempting such a thing?

I was going to ask a follow up question - may as well chuck in now - how does OSMand+ run under this?

Trying to figure out if there is any point trying to run it on the chromebook - although it has a better screen/keyboard than the tabs, OSMand's  offline route editing functions are a bit limited and the chromebook's internal storage is in any case somewhat restricted.

I could plug a USB pen storage thing in for the maps and other stuff but that may possibly cause complications.

Maybe I'll stick to the tabs on the road, which are in any case easier to recharge, including from powerbanks.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Chromebooks with Android apps
« Reply #2 on: 02 September, 2017, 03:08:56 pm »
I have no Chromebook experience but I don't see why OSMAnd+ shouldn't be ok with it.  It doesn't seem to be very fussy about devices.  I even have it running on a TV box.  You could save storage space by downloading only a small map region.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●