Author Topic: Frame treatments  (Read 1632 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Frame treatments
« on: 02 October, 2017, 07:02:02 pm »

I'm pondering if there is merit in some sort of internal frame protective treatment on my new steel frame. The bike's going to be used throughout the Dutch winter and has to put up with everything the weather can throw at it.

Is it work the effort? and if so any recommendations for what to use?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Re: Frame treatments
« Reply #1 on: 02 October, 2017, 07:06:52 pm »
yup and you can use Waxoyl. Warm the frame with a hairdryer and the stuff will be fluid inside the frame (for even and thin coating) and any excess will come out.

It can be messy though

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 02 October, 2017, 07:26:56 pm »
I *think* Charlie the Bikemonger sells JP Weigle's framesaver, but I recall it wasn't particularly cheap. I bought a can of Dinitrol ML, as that was what Bob Jackson recommend (and the aerosol comes with a handy extension tube allowing you to get into frame nooks and crannies), but I haven't actually used it yet, as they'd treated the frame themselves after they'd finished the respray.

« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2017, 08:17:22 pm »
+1 for waxoyl. Didn't warm the frame up but sprayed into all the accessible tubes and left for 24 hours before building up.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:15:33 pm »
Bilt-Hamber Dynax S50 comes with a decent applicator probe and is what I'd use.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:02:33 pm »
I haven't tried it in a frame but boiled linseed oil is less nasty and much safer than the chemical and petroleum based products.

The "boiled" version has chemicals in it to make it cure (dry) faster, apply thinly, and best to use gloves.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6 on: 02 October, 2017, 10:25:11 pm »
If waxoyl is good enough for a landrover, I can't see why it would harm a bike. Steel is steel.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #7 on: 03 October, 2017, 07:55:52 am »
IME steel frames don't rust internally very seriously. It's possible, looking at the finish that they are 'parkerised'.  My 14 year old Roberts is pristine internally and has not been waxoyled.  It does have a well-fitting seat post and I never take it indoors (i.e. not the garage) as I have a theory that rapid change in temperature causes internal condensation!  Well, it might.. I also have tourers that are 17 and 30 years old in excellent condition.  The 30 year old was re-built 3 years ago and I did waxoyl it then for the first time.

If waxoyl is good enough for a landrover, I can't see why it would harm a bike. Steel is steel.

Aren't land rovers galvanised steel and aluminium?
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #8 on: 03 October, 2017, 08:07:59 am »
"Boeshield T-9" also works, and you can use the leftovers for chain lubrication.  It's a wax-containing product.  Similar to JP Weigle's and perhaps others.

Spray cans have a long, thin straw dispenser which can often be poked into vent holes in the frame.  Or, spray into larger, more open end of chain stays, and then wiggle the frame around (to spread coating), and end up with dropouts at bottom, wait and see if any of the excess trickles out, so that you think you've coated the interior.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9 on: 03 October, 2017, 09:50:03 am »

Aren't land rovers galvanised steel and aluminium?
[/quote]

body panels have always been Al, chassis may be galvanised on the later generations, not sure about the earlier ones, but given the intended lifestyle (and actual lifestyle for some) waxoyling is a popular treatment.  I'll get mine done at its next service.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #10 on: 03 October, 2017, 09:59:18 am »
Landrovers were never galvanised. aftermarket fitting of galvanised chassis members is a popular upgrade.

Framesaver is a great product. Used it on my mercian and then used up the rest of the can on the barge, treating cables and winches. Would buy it by the gallon if I could afford it for the barge.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 03 October, 2017, 09:26:48 pm »

Have ordered a can of Waxyol. Do I need to do anything in the headtube and around the bottom bracket to stop it causing any issues when I install the headset or Bottom bracket?

Cheers

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #12 on: 03 October, 2017, 10:31:32 pm »
issues? what, like being able to get them out again easily later on....?.... ;)

cheers

« Reply #13 on: 04 October, 2017, 07:19:27 am »
Headset and bottom bracket should be installed well greased* so a bit of waxoyl in the mix won't do any harm.

* I might have opened a Pandora's box here but that's what I do.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #14 on: 04 October, 2017, 07:23:46 am »
Headset and bottom bracket should be installed well greased* so a bit of waxoyl in the mix won't do any harm.

* I might have opened a Pandora's box here but that's what I do.

Oh no they shouldn't

Oh yes they should

There you go, both side in a balanced presentation (a la BBC)