Author Topic: Bottom bracket - chainset recommendations please  (Read 1513 times)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Bottom bracket - chainset recommendations please
« on: 29 October, 2017, 06:14:13 pm »
Being a bit of a luddite, I'm new to the wacky world of press-fit bottom brackets, and have just bought a frame that needs a BB86.

Now then, I've always been loyal to Campag, but am somewhat deterred by reading about various "issues" that folk have had with their Power-Torque and Ultra-Torque systems.

Can anyone recommend any other decent BB - chainset combination, of about equivalent to Campag Potenza / Chorus levels?  Or are the Campag systems just as good as any out there?

Thanks
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Re: Bottom bracket - chainset recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2017, 07:07:09 pm »
My view is that it’s the bracket, not the chainset that’s the big thing to get right.

Getting a reliable, non-creaking bottom bracket is possible, but spendy ( usually £100+++)

The really reliable make is C-Bear from Belgium ( he does all the Lotto and other pro team bearings) . Praxis Works and some others fit slightly below in quality and cost. He certainly caters for Campagnolo chainsets as that is what Lotto are on.

C-Bear is very responsive to enquiries, and his web site will guide which bracket for which chainset on which bracket fitting.

« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2017, 08:54:03 pm »
I’ve just put in a PF c-bear into a Cervelo S3. Apparently it will stop all the issues. I’ll report how I get on in the next few weeks.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3 on: 26 November, 2017, 08:23:21 am »
Resurrection: Thanks for the tips. I'm afraid I just can't bring myself to like the current design of Campag chainsets, so I'm leaning towards one of the Praxis models, eg this one: https://praxiscycles.com/product/zayante-m30/ with their own bottom bracket.

Before I pull the trigger, tell me if it would be a big mistake?  :-\
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2017, 08:36:33 pm »
Since you are stuck with a press-fit BB, you can avoid the dreaded creak using some industrial strength shaft fit.

At Highpath Engineering we use it to mount the bearings into the body of our Swing Cranks. We've never had a failure of the bond in use, yet they are still rebuildable.

It's not cheap, but you can find all kinds of uses for it.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.