7 (28%)
Bad
8 (32%)
Which way round do I use this?
2 (8%)
Don't even know the rules
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Are you any good at Pool?  (Read 1168 times)

Are you any good at Pool?
« on: 29 November, 2017, 10:53:57 am »
Keeping up the pub games theme.

I used to play for The Royal Steamer. I'd say I was the most "Alright I suppose" player. Good fun, but there were some hot shots out there. I even lost to a girl once*

*j/k she beat me easily because she was way better than me.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Re: Are you any good at Pool?
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2017, 11:02:55 am »
A bit carp.

A few years back I was on a 5 year part-time course. Most of us on the course had kids and were relishing freedom from family, so once day was done, off it was to the pub for a few pints. Got there early and monopolised pool table. Locals turned up and wanted table. Well, we were there first .  . . but it was their table. We came to a compromise. They would play the pair of us that won the next game. The two women playing me and my new friend won, so they played the locals next - and won. Locals left pub in disgust.

Barman then informed us that the locals were the village team champs and there was a big competitive circuit between villages. We found another pub the next night . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 29 November, 2017, 11:04:07 am »
I get better after alcohol. 

« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2017, 11:17:47 am »
I'm awful.  Kid brother played for money when he was a student, he got chased out of a bar in California when they thought he was trying to scam them.   If I pot more than 2 balls playing him, it counts as a moral victory.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 29 November, 2017, 11:21:33 am »
Haven't played for years but used to be just a tiny bit better than crap. Always found it fun though (as long as it's not taken seriously).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 29 November, 2017, 11:27:49 am »
I get better after alcohol.

Me too. Sometimes after two pints I was really not bad at all. After three pints I was rubbish again always. That was in the days when quite a few pubs had pool tables and I played once every few weeks. now hardly any do and I play maybe once every two years and I am bad no matter how much alcohol I have or hadn't had :)
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #6 on: 29 November, 2017, 11:30:14 am »
I'm crap, although that's never prevented me from having a go.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 29 November, 2017, 11:37:32 am »
Most of my 3 years at university were actually spent playing pool.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 29 November, 2017, 01:53:17 pm »
My standard of play is that I find it far easier to pot my balls when there is only one opponent's ball left on the table.
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 29 November, 2017, 02:34:30 pm »
I played a lot when I was crewing, in between calls.  Didn't seem to get better at any point.

But almost certainly worse now. :/
Getting there...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 29 November, 2017, 02:59:51 pm »
Used to be OK within the limits of the physics of collisions that you learn at school, a bit dodgy once spin is involved.

We actually have a medium-sized pool table in the old dining-room downstairs, but once the Inlaw Paw started to have hip trouble we stopped playing. Since then three bookcases and a side table have occupied most of the cue-room, and the table itself serves for parking delicate stuff such as musical instruments or old photos, also as occasional photo studio when we have something to flog on-line.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #11 on: 29 November, 2017, 04:07:47 pm »
No, I hate all pub sports. (In fact all sports.) Pubs are for drinking in and talking (and back in the day, meeting young ladies and subsequently lamenting their rejection).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 29 November, 2017, 04:19:15 pm »
As one with the coordination of a thousand camels, I'm utterly shite.  Miss von Brandenburg, though, was good enough in her youth to make us leave a pub in Newcastle when the Natives began to get agitated about being continually beaten by someone who was:
  • a hippy, and
  • a FOREIGN, and
  • a gurl
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime