Author Topic: Random inappropriate possibly not quite PC thoughts  (Read 10951 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Random inappropriate possibly not quite PC thoughts
« Reply #50 on: 13 January, 2018, 09:57:58 am »
My chavvy neighbours still have a Xmas wreath on their front door.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #51 on: 13 January, 2018, 10:22:00 am »
I've never met Asterix IRL nut I'm fairly confident he doesn't 'pull on women's clothing and hang around in bars..'*

*There is no basis for the above other than intuition. Your home is at risk if you fail to keep up repayments on a loan secured on your property. Investments can fall as well as rise...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Ben T

« Reply #52 on: 13 January, 2018, 04:07:29 pm »
What about sheeps eyes and tripe. they are food.
Or lentils and beetroot, they're good for you
Or some Surströmming - swedish fermented herring, that's food.

Yeah fine I'd eat them, unless they detracted from the niceness of the meal as a whole/made the overall meal rank, in which case I'd complain for that reason, but not because it contained them per se.

You have the right to not have food you  have not ordered, especially if you have specifically requested not to have it.

Yes but it's the ordering of it that does the damage, and causes the furry little animals to be killed, not the eating of them - which generally occurs after they're already dead.
So surely the definition of a vegan should be someone who doesn't request any meat containing products - not necessarily someone who doesn't eat them. The two are usually synonymous, but not necessarily always.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #53 on: 15 January, 2018, 12:29:35 am »
To be onest, a vegan death-threat sounds about the least scary thing ever. What are they going to use, a parsnip?

Somewhere in the hidden recesses of my memory is something to do with forum folklore concerning root vegetables. Hummers may well have been involved.

I thought I had eradicated that memory with the judicious use of mind bleach. And now you haver reawakened it! Bastard!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #54 on: 03 February, 2018, 11:48:32 pm »
Ben T

WTF is the matter with you?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #55 on: 04 February, 2018, 10:11:28 am »
Ben T

WTF is the matter with you?
Ermm, have you seen Ben's sig?  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ian

« Reply #56 on: 04 February, 2018, 06:18:50 pm »
He's never been the same since The Dan Brown Incident.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #57 on: 04 February, 2018, 07:41:05 pm »
I've never met Asterix IRL nut I'm fairly confident he doesn't 'pull on women's clothing and hang around in bars..'*

*There is no basis for the above other than intuition. Your home is at risk if you fail to keep up repayments on a loan secured on your property. Investments can fall as well as rise...

I can't afford to hang around in bars anymore. But I do put on women's clothing.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #58 on: 04 February, 2018, 07:43:11 pm »
To be onest, a vegan death-threat sounds about the least scary thing ever. What are they going to use, a parsnip?

Somewhere in the hidden recesses of my memory is something to do with forum folklore concerning root vegetables. Hummers may well have been involved.

I thought I had eradicated that memory with the judicious use of mind bleach. And now you haver reawakened it! Bastard!

Radishes and parsnips, IIRC. My mind bleach failed, for I remember a semi-naked Valiant being involved.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

ian

« Reply #59 on: 12 February, 2018, 09:17:16 pm »
Apparently, allergies have been inappropriately displayed in a movie about cartoon rabbits. People on twitter are angry and calling for a boycott. A more sensible voice says that's a bit much, but you know if the studio would just re-edit it in a more suitable fashion, removing any bits that might offend them.

(Usual disclaimer, allergies are significant and horrible, I have one. But they're usually modest and unlikely to kill. Unlike cars and guns.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 12 February, 2018, 11:29:09 pm »
Rabbits, on the other hand, are fucking lethal.  You shouldn't mess about with allergens, just go straight to the Holy Hand Grenade.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QM9Bynjh2Lk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/QM9Bynjh2Lk&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/QM9Bynjh2Lk

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #61 on: 12 February, 2018, 11:34:07 pm »
removing any bits that might offend them

Last line for a limerick...
It is simpler than it looks.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #62 on: 12 February, 2018, 11:42:28 pm »
I think the issue is that for some people who suffer anaphylaxis therefore very likely to kill them.

I have seen people online talking about fears for their child who has anaphylaxis or are adults who are scared and how many serious incidents or actual deaths because other people people dismiss or don't take allergies seriously.

Sorry, sense of humour/let it drop failure on this one.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #63 on: 13 February, 2018, 08:14:46 am »
I think the issue is that for some people who suffer anaphylaxis therefore very likely to kill them.

I have seen people online talking about fears for their child who has anaphylaxis or are adults who are scared and how many serious incidents or actual deaths because other people people dismiss or don't take allergies seriously.

AIUI although IANAD, the really scary thing about anaphylaxis is the cumulative nature of the syndrome. So the first attack is bad, but the second and subsequent attacks get more extreme and faster.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #64 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:17:37 am »

It was stupid.

Far more comedy value if the character had a rabid dislike of the colour blue (they could have had him putting on a ridiculous tyvek protective suit to pull up blue flowers earlier), and the rabbits pelted him with blueberries until his skin and clothes were stained blue.

Still possibly not nice (but the character is pretty violent towards the rabbits first) but at least it avoids the issue of children copying the behaviour and throwing peanuts, say, at another child with a peanut allergy.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #65 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:25:05 am »

My point is that yes, it kills people, but surprisingly (and fortunately) few. Most allergies are minor and non-life threatening (and a majority of 'allergies' are self-diagnosed). But in focusing on a what in fact is a modest threat, parents avoid the obvious and significant dangers that threaten their children's lives. The second irony of course, is that it's an obsessive avoidance of potential allergens that is likely worsening the problem.

Subsidiary point number 82, we're increasing unwilling to take a critical and skeptical view of anything, question anything and it's a case 'you don't believe it' and there's a special interest group for everything. It seems unfeasible that we dare question anyone's beliefs or experience. Dare to question any group and this happens. How dare you? There was story a couple of years about about a 'child who nearly died' because someone, somewhere on a plane opened a bag of peanuts. A consultant pointed out that the unlikelihood of any allergic reaction from a few micrograms of peanut dust released several rows aways. Of course, he 'got mail.'

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #66 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:32:56 am »

I get a sense of humour fail when people use ‘trainwreck’ as a metaphor for something a tiny bit bad. Maybe a search of posters own posts for that word/phrase would be revealing.

I think mrcharly probably has it right, that copycat behaviour is a serious risk to consider.

Other than that, ian has a tidy haired point about puritanical thought cleansing.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #67 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:44:44 am »
Subsidiary point number 82, we're increasing unwilling to take a critical and skeptical view of anything

Except things that really matter, like climate change and vaccines.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #68 on: 13 February, 2018, 10:05:14 am »

Other than that, ian has a tidy haired point about puritanical thought cleansing.

Charles Lamb worried about the same thing a couple of centuries ago.
We see a stage libertine playing his loose pranks of two hours’ duration, and of no after consequence, with the severe eyes which inspect real vices with their bearings upon two worlds. We are spectators to a plot or intrigue (not reducible in life to the point of strict morality) and take it all for truth.

ian

« Reply #69 on: 13 February, 2018, 10:19:19 am »
Subsidiary point number 82, we're increasing unwilling to take a critical and skeptical view of anything

Except things that really matter, like climate change and vaccines.

I think climate 'skeptic' is a misnomer, they're not looking at being critical. They don't like the idea, so they don't accept it. That's why arguments based on evidence fail. Same for anti-vaccine, creationists, etc. That's not skepticism, it's denialism.

I think if we removed every possible example of copycatism from movies, there wouldn't be much left. I appreciate that many modern parents simply don't have time to educate their kids between updating Facebook and watching Celebrity Sex Cave.

But anyway, it wasn't really a point about allergies, it was really about people loudly demanding the world be shaped to their requirements.

For the record, death due to any food-related anaphylaxis is extremely rare (numbers vary through inconsistent reporting). In the US between 0.03 to 0.3 deaths per million person years (somewhere between being randomly murdered in Europe* and struck by lightning). Three to five orders of magnitude less likely than dying in a car accident. A lot of the more creative 'peanuts will kill your kids' stats come from the advocacy organization funded in a large part by the manufacturers of epipens. They sell directly to school districts in the US. Make of that what you will.

Which of course is not the same as saying it doesn't exist or that it's a serious issue for anyone afflicted by a severe allergy. That again is the difference between healthy skepticism and unhealthy denialism.

*significantly less so than being murdered in the US, of course.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #70 on: 13 February, 2018, 02:42:45 pm »

It was stupid.

Far more comedy value if the character had a rabid dislike of the colour blue (they could have had him putting on a ridiculous tyvek protective suit to pull up blue flowers earlier), and the rabbits pelted him with blueberries until his skin and clothes were stained blue.

Still possibly not nice (but the character is pretty violent towards the rabbits first) but at least it avoids the issue of children copying the behaviour and throwing peanuts, say, at another child with a peanut allergy.

Agreed.  It's bad writing in a children's story.  By all means grumble about it, but be proportional.  It's not like children's stories aren't full of ultra-violence, bullying, unpleasant disability tropes or dubious moral endings.  And it's not like they haven't been inspiring children with new ways to torment each other for generations.

Calling for a boycott just invokes the Streisand Effect.

Using someone's medical condition against them like that just seems inappropriate for the target age group.  It's the sort of thing you expect in teenage 'gross-out' movies, where contriving to give someone a bad case of the shits would be a staple of the 'comedy'.  Smalls watching the Peter Rabbit movie are likely learning about allergies for the first time.  Be sympathetic or don't bother.

ian

« Reply #71 on: 13 February, 2018, 05:51:30 pm »
It's true that Grange Hill made me take drugs. Damn you, Zammo. Admittedly, we didn't have heroin back then, so it was mostly disprin.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #72 on: 13 February, 2018, 06:01:23 pm »
Friend of mine was specifically banned from watching Grange Hill.  Teacher parents thought it was too unrealistic, or something.

ian

« Reply #73 on: 13 February, 2018, 06:09:06 pm »
My wife was one of those children banned from watching ITV. Those were the weird ones at school, guilty of watching Shop rather than TisWas.