Author Topic: Downloadable HRM  (Read 1703 times)

Downloadable HRM
« on: 11 January, 2018, 11:04:52 am »
Am on the lookout for a standalone HR monitor that has the capability to record all the data and then subsequently download in to some kind of programme for later review. A quick scan suggests most units have GPS and other bits included, which aren't really needed. Just after something that would be fairly straightforward to use, could hold a good bit of data, and allow computer analysis. Any thoughts?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Downloadable HRM
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2018, 11:20:49 am »
Sounds like you want a Wahoo TICKR X

In addition to tracking heart rate, TICKR X counts reps while performing popular HIIT workouts and uses built-in memory so you can work out phone-free and sync up later.

« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2018, 12:28:37 pm »
Sounds like you want a Wahoo TICKR X

In addition to tracking heart rate, TICKR X counts reps while performing popular HIIT workouts and uses built-in memory so you can work out phone-free and sync up later.
Sounds more like you want a basic strap and an app on your phone

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2018, 12:36:11 pm »
For what it's to be used for, the downloaded data would need to be accessible on a computer rather than through an app alone.

The Tickr might be useful with a standalone memory of it's own, but would be useful to see an example of downloaded data and how can be viewed/analysed.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2018, 01:01:30 pm »
Your smartphone is a computer!

There will be plenty of apps that allow you to record the data and download it via the phone's USB port.  For some of the more basic straps, your phone might need Ant+ though - check the list here.  If you don't have Ant+, the easiest solution looks like the Wahoo Tickr (as opposed to the Tickr X lined above).  That costs £40 and comes with Bluetooth as well as Ant+ so it'll connect to your phone and it says it connects to Strava etc, so you can upload and then download your HR files from there.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2018, 02:15:52 pm »
Depends on whether you want to carry a phone while excersising.
If so, there's plenty of simple/cheap heart rate straps that will transmit to an app on your phone.

If you don't want to carry a phone, you need something with built in recording.
The Mio Fuse or Mio Alpha can do that. They will let you download the recorded heart rate data to the Mio Go app. TBH the app is a bit rubbish, but it should let you export in CSV format, so you can analyse in other software.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2018, 02:52:51 pm »
I'm not sure I'd buy a Mio at the moment. I think that they announced that they were discontinuing hardware so I don't know what support would be like.

« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2018, 03:11:43 pm »
A basic Garmin activity tracker, with a chest strap added, would work with Garmin Connect (has website as well as app). I used to have a Vivofit which was ANT+ compatible, though I've now got a Vivoactive HR which has more bells and whistles (and a much shorter battery life).

simonp

« Reply #8 on: 11 January, 2018, 03:15:05 pm »
If you have a smart phone (Android or iOS) then I'd suggest the TickR or TickRX. The main benefit of the 'X is allowing offline recording and later download (i.e. just put the strap on and leave the phone behind). You can also use it in online mode with pretty much any Ant+ or Bluetooth 4.0 compatible device, so I only need one strap these days to cover all use-cases.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2018, 10:50:54 am »
As if by magic, someone is selling a Tickr X for thirty squid on this thread